SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Fitness Section > Self-Care
Reload this Page high creatine kinase levels

Self-Care Discuss general health, hair care/hair-loss prevention, tanning, anti-aging, cosmetic surgery or anything else related to self-care.


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-13, 02:28 PM
high creatine kinase levels
  #1
 
Superior Amateur
Join Date: Nov 2007
Likes: 4
i recently got some blood work done, and the CK levels came back at over 1300. normal range for me said it was 52-200. I've had high levels for the last year and a half, but this is twice as high as it's ever been. The only difference i can think of that i've made is the 250mgs test every week i'm taking. would test cause it to shoot up? And I haven't taken creatine for a year.
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 06:39 PM
  #2
 
THE BOUNCER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Windy City
Likes: 1446
Dont know much about it but apparently working out hard before you go in for the test can make the levels shoot up.

Found this:

Causes of Elevated Creatine Kinase

Injuries to the skeletal muscles often trigger high levels of CK-MM. These muscles are the type that most commonly comes to mind when we hear the word muscle. These are the "voluntary" muscles that you are able to control -- for example, the biceps and triceps. Damage to these muscles can occur for various reasons, including muscular dystrophy, direct trauma, strenuous exercise, immobility, certain drugs, muscle injections, nerve conduction studies, muscle infection, seizures or surgery. Strenuous exercise frequently triggers a rise in CK that peaks 16 to 24 hours following a workout, then stays elevated for 72 hours before falling back to baseline. Those with muscle diseases typically experience chronically elevated CK-MM. In fact, those with Duchenne's muscular dystrophy may have levels that are 50 times greater than normal.

Branched Chain Amino Acids

Several studies suggest that amino acids may actually ameliorate CK levels after exercise. According to a study published in December 2007 in the "International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism," branched-chain amino acid, or BCAA, supplements may reduce CK levels after exercise as well as muscle damage and muscle soreness. The study found that consumption of a beverage containing 200 kilocalories of BCAA immediately before and 60 minutes into a workout reduced CK levels four, 24 and 48 hours after completion of exercise. These findings may be of particular benefit to those suffering from delayed onset muscle soreness after exercise.

Warning

One of the most common causes of elevated CK is a lack of oxygen to the heart muscle, known medically as a myocardial infarction or heart attack. According to Mayo Medical laboratories, CK levels peak two to 24 hours following a heart attack and then fall back to baseline after three to four days. Seek immediate medical attention if you have symptoms of a heart attack, such as chest pain, shortness of breath, jaw pain that radiates to your left arm or excessive perspiration. Since many of the causes of skeletal muscle damage can also be quite serious, it is also recommended that you contact your doctor if you experience severe or prolonged muscle pain or weakness.
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 11:11 AM
  #3
 
Superior Amateur
Join Date: Nov 2007
Likes: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
Dont know much about it but apparently working out hard before you go in for the test can make the levels shoot up.

Found this:

Causes of Elevated Creatine Kinase

Injuries to the skeletal muscles often trigger high levels of CK-MM. These muscles are the type that most commonly comes to mind when we hear the word muscle. These are the "voluntary" muscles that you are able to control -- for example, the biceps and triceps. Damage to these muscles can occur for various reasons, including muscular dystrophy, direct trauma, strenuous exercise, immobility, certain drugs, muscle injections, nerve conduction studies, muscle infection, seizures or surgery. Strenuous exercise frequently triggers a rise in CK that peaks 16 to 24 hours following a workout, then stays elevated for 72 hours before falling back to baseline. Those with muscle diseases typically experience chronically elevated CK-MM. In fact, those with Duchenne's muscular dystrophy may have levels that are 50 times greater than normal.

Branched Chain Amino Acids

Several studies suggest that amino acids may actually ameliorate CK levels after exercise. According to a study published in December 2007 in the "International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism," branched-chain amino acid, or BCAA, supplements may reduce CK levels after exercise as well as muscle damage and muscle soreness. The study found that consumption of a beverage containing 200 kilocalories of BCAA immediately before and 60 minutes into a workout reduced CK levels four, 24 and 48 hours after completion of exercise. These findings may be of particular benefit to those suffering from delayed onset muscle soreness after exercise.

Warning

One of the most common causes of elevated CK is a lack of oxygen to the heart muscle, known medically as a myocardial infarction or heart attack. According to Mayo Medical laboratories, CK levels peak two to 24 hours following a heart attack and then fall back to baseline after three to four days. Seek immediate medical attention if you have symptoms of a heart attack, such as chest pain, shortness of breath, jaw pain that radiates to your left arm or excessive perspiration. Since many of the causes of skeletal muscle damage can also be quite serious, it is also recommended that you contact your doctor if you experience severe or prolonged muscle pain or weakness.

I highly doubt it would go up that much to where the doctors are worried due to working out, besides, it's been high for over a year, so there's got to be a different issue. i was also cycling clen recently, maybe that's putting strain on my heart?

anybody notice their levels shoot up like this when on cycle and get blood work done?
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 11:23 AM
  #4
 
THE BOUNCER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Windy City
Likes: 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by casby View Post
I highly doubt it would go up that much to where the doctors are worried due to working out, besides, it's been high for over a year, so there's got to be a different issue. i was also cycling clen recently, maybe that's putting strain on my heart?

anybody notice their levels shoot up like this when on cycle and get blood work done?
well bro you better hope it has something to do with just working out the muscles because the other options are a bit scary.

what is the doctors course of action to figure out what is going on?
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 11:36 AM
  #5
 
THE BOUNCER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Windy City
Likes: 1446
bump for FB. she studies this kind of shit. she is a bit lazy bro, sorry about that but i will try and get her to give you some input.
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 11:45 AM
  #6
 
Superior Amateur
Join Date: Nov 2007
Likes: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
well bro you better hope it has something to do with just working out the muscles because the other options are a bit scary.

what is the doctors course of action to figure out what is going on?
yeah, i can only hope, but i'm a realist, and i can't see it being that simple.

last year, the levels were around 800, and after a few more tests, they slowly started dropping to about 400. That was the last spring. i don't have any time for doc appointments in summer, so they said they'd leave it until this winter, which is where i'm at now. The doc doesn't have much of a plan at the moment, because she has no idea what's happening. I'm going for blood work every 2 weeks, to see if it drops. If it drops, then she's not going to do much, but if it stays high, she was going to send me to a specialist of some sort. didn't clarify.


Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
bump for FB. she studies this kind of shit. she is a bit lazy bro, sorry about that but i will try and get her to give you some input.
thanks. I know there are a few people on this board in the medical field, and was hoping for some input from them.
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 11:48 AM
  #7
 
THE BOUNCER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Windy City
Likes: 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by casby View Post
yeah, i can only hope, but i'm a realist, and i can't see it being that simple.

last year, the levels were around 800, and after a few more tests, they slowly started dropping to about 400. That was the last spring. i don't have any time for doc appointments in summer, so they said they'd leave it until this winter, which is where i'm at now. The doc doesn't have much of a plan at the moment, because she has no idea what's happening. I'm going for blood work every 2 weeks, to see if it drops. If it drops, then she's not going to do much, but if it stays high, she was going to send me to a specialist of some sort. didn't clarify.




thanks. I know there are a few people on this board in the medical field, and was hoping for some input from them.
yea, dont put it off bro, could be nothing but it could be something serious. make it priority #1.
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 11:49 AM
  #8
 
Superior Amateur
Join Date: Nov 2007
Likes: 4
but thats why i was wondering if injecting test would have anything to do with it. i haven't done a cycle for years, and i'm just doing 250mgs/wk, and suddenly the levels go up. Might be a coincidence, but that's why i'm asking. I wasn't going to tell the doc i'm on test.
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 11:50 AM
  #9
 
Superior Amateur
Join Date: Nov 2007
Likes: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
yea, dont put it off bro, could be nothing but it could be something serious. make it priority #1.
yeah for sure
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 04:29 PM
  #10
 
FitnessBrat's Avatar
 
Administrator
Join Date: Jul 2003
Likes: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
bump for FB. she studies this kind of shit. she is a bit lazy bro, sorry about that but i will try and get her to give you some input.



SHE isn't a bit lazy, you ass.


Casby,

You don't seem to be taking this all that serious. This is your health, your body, you need to be more proactive!


How much protein are you consuming in a day?
How much water are you drinking?


You said you don't take creatine. Do you take any preworkout supps or drinks, etc?


When you got your blood work done, had you recently worked out?


Are you still taking the clen? I would certainly stop until you get this under control.
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 05:39 PM
  #11
 
Superior Amateur
Join Date: Nov 2007
Likes: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitnessBrat View Post


Casby,

You don't seem to be taking this all that serious. This is your health, your body, you need to be more proactive!


How much protein are you consuming in a day?
How much water are you drinking?


You said you don't take creatine. Do you take any preworkout supps or drinks, etc?


When you got your blood work done, had you recently worked out?


Are you still taking the clen? I would certainly stop until you get this under control.
last winter i would agree that i wasn't too concerned, but i assure you, when i saw the levels this time around, it was a bit worrisome.

i take preworkout drinks maybe half of my workouts, so approx. 3 times a week, about 300grams of protein/day, and at least 4 liters of water a day. I'm not on clen anymore, but was when i had the test done. I'm pretty sure i didn't workout until after i got the blood work done.

I just recently got another test done yesterday morning, and i haven't worked out for 2 weeks prior to that, and no clen for 3 weeks. So we'll see what it is when i get the results
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 05:41 PM
  #12
 
Superior Pro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Likes: 127
are you taking any supplements?
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 05:46 PM
  #13
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Superior Pro
Join Date: Jun 2012
Likes: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by casby View Post
I highly doubt it would go up that much to where the doctors are worried due to working out, besides, it's been high for over a year, so there's got to be a different issue. i was also cycling clen recently, maybe that's putting strain on my heart?

anybody notice their levels shoot up like this when on cycle and get blood work done?

Clen affects the heart and it's beats quite a bit. Your numbers are no joke. Did the Dr mention on having you get an EKG?

I've never had mine ever that high with blood work. Your numbers seem very very odd. Not saying you're lying, but with those numbers. You're basically a walking heart attack.

I'm assuming your CK test was a CK-MM not a CK-MB.

Elevated creatine kinase levels are present when there is destruction of cardiac or skeletal muscle. So are you sure those are the numbers? If so, get an EKG and more tests done.
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 05:48 PM
  #14
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Superior Pro
Join Date: Jun 2012
Likes: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by casby View Post
last winter i would agree that i wasn't too concerned, but i assure you, when i saw the levels this time around, it was a bit worrisome.

i take preworkout drinks maybe half of my workouts, so approx. 3 times a week, about 300grams of protein/day, and at least 4 liters of water a day. I'm not on clen anymore, but was when i had the test done. I'm pretty sure i didn't workout until after i got the blood work done.

I just recently got another test done yesterday morning, and i haven't worked out for 2 weeks prior to that, and no clen for 3 weeks. So we'll see what it is when i get the results
THIS could be the issue. Clen is really not a good thing for the heart. Plenty of reports from members and studies that it fucks your heart up.
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 05:56 PM
  #15
 
Superior Amateur
Join Date: Nov 2007
Likes: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Clen affects the heart and it's beats quite a bit. Your numbers are no joke. Did the Dr mention on having you get an EKG?

I've never had mine ever that high with blood work. Your numbers seem very very odd. Not saying you're lying, but with those numbers. You're basically a walking heart attack.

I'm assuming your CK test was a CK-MM not a CK-MB.

Elevated creatine kinase levels are present when there is destruction of cardiac or skeletal muscle. So are you sure those are the numbers? If so, get an EKG and more tests done.
No, the doc never said anything about an EKG, but she said if the levels stay high, then further testing will be done, so maybe that means EKG.
I don't know the difference between CK-MM AND CK-MB, so i can't tell you what it was, but i know for sure, and saw with my own eyes, the levels were over 1300. I'll get the exact numbers when my next results come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
THIS could be the issue. Clen is really not a good thing for the heart. Plenty of reports from members and studies that it fucks your heart up.
agreed. If this last test comes back way lower, then i'll assume it was the clen, and not take it again
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 06:08 PM
  #16
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Superior Pro
Join Date: Jun 2012
Likes: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by casby View Post
No, the doc never said anything about an EKG, but she said if the levels stay high, then further testing will be done, so maybe that means EKG.
I don't know the difference between CK-MM AND CK-MB, so i can't tell you what it was, but i know for sure, and saw with my own eyes, the levels were over 1300. I'll get the exact numbers when my next results come back.



agreed. If this last test comes back way lower, then i'll assume it was the clen, and not take it again
If the results come back lower, not sure they'll be within a normal range just yet. Then you will know it was the clen bro.

Creatine Kinase is an enzyme composed of either M- or B-type subunits. The CKBB is Isolated from the main brain, CKMB is Isolated from the main heart, and CKMM is Isolated from the main skeletal Muscle.


Stay off the clen, not good stuff. I've done it for years and when I've been on it and have had blood work done. Shit never comes back good in certain lipid profiles. I use to love that shit until I found out it did more bad than good.

Scott on this board has also had his bad experiences and also got bad news from his docs about clen. Not worth it bro.

But not to scare you. Those numbers are no joke. I'm shocked your doc didn't do an EKG on the spot. But to keep yourself safe for now. Take some aspirin and niacin for now.
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 06:09 PM
  #17
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Superior Pro
Join Date: Jun 2012
Likes: 116
I love getting blood work. I fucking have over 50 pages if not more of it from dating back to early 2000 and pretty much getting it done every 6 months At times I've done them once a year, but I'm a freak about them and get them done when I can; hell even at 90 days I've had them taken
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 06:11 PM
  #18
 
Superior Amateur
Join Date: Nov 2007
Likes: 4
ronin, i know you get blood work done quit a bit. have you taken clen? and have your CK levels shot up a lot because of it?

Just asking because i have a hard time believing clen itself would be the only culprit.
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 06:13 PM
  #19
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Superior Pro
Join Date: Jun 2012
Likes: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by casby View Post
ronin, i know you get blood work done quit a bit. have you taken clen? and have your CK levels shot up a lot because of it?

Just asking because i have a hard time believing clen itself would be the only culprit.
You know bro...Let me check...brb I have my stuff in my file cabinet...give me a few minutes. Good question!
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 06:13 PM
  #20
 
Superior Amateur
Join Date: Nov 2007
Likes: 4
apparently we were typing at the same time. ignore my previous questions haha. thanks
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 06:15 PM
  #21
 
Superior Amateur
Join Date: Nov 2007
Likes: 4
fuck! happened again
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 06:34 PM
  #22
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Superior Pro
Join Date: Jun 2012
Likes: 116
This blood work done was while I was on clen, but not that day. I always fast when I blood work done. Basically take nothing, food, water, pills, etc...I come in clen/dry.

Besides, if your issue would of happened to me. I would of known about it and would of made them do something about it while I was there.

I just got blood work done couple of months ago since I've been off for 6 months now if not longer and about to go back on March 1st and this is my natural test levels Right in the range I should be for my age.

The reason I stopped taking clen because a few times I did have an irregular heart beat that they noticed and even my GF would hear it when she would lay on my chest. I was like, fuck this!

I'm NO DR...But when it comes to this stuff, I know my shit and I can tell you what you can say to your Docs in order for them to do proper tests and stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (92.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130209_072259.jpg (64.7 KB, 6 views)
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 06:46 PM
  #23
 
Superior Amateur
Join Date: Nov 2007
Likes: 4
cool, thanks. That shows your on the lower part of the normal range, so if in fact that test was done within a few days of taking clen, then it didn't effect your CK levels at all. So for mine to shoot up to 1300, there's definitely something else going on.
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 06:50 PM
  #24
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Superior Pro
Join Date: Jun 2012
Likes: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by casby View Post
cool, thanks. That shows your on the lower part of the normal range, so if in fact that test was done within a few days of taking clen, then it didn't effect your CK levels at all. So for mine to shoot up to 1300, there's definitely something else going on.
Yea and I would assume some sort of cardiovascular bro. No Dr here, but I'm just taking a wild guess. But with that said. All the profiles they take for tests are affected by so many things. You did mention this has been going on for over a year?!?!?!

Have you had a mild stroke or heart attack? You know it's possible to NOT know you've had one right? Either way. Get an EKG done, ask for it! Then tell them you want additional testing. Some physicians like to kind of put a band aid over a cut, for a lack of better terms until shit gets real.

If you do have an underlying issue, which seems you do and probably been going on for quite some time. Get more tests done or go see a new Dr.
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 11:39 PM
  #25
 
Superior Amateur
Join Date: Nov 2007
Likes: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Yea and I would assume some sort of cardiovascular bro. No Dr here, but I'm just taking a wild guess. But with that said. All the profiles they take for tests are affected by so many things. You did mention this has been going on for over a year?!?!?!

Have you had a mild stroke or heart attack? You know it's possible to NOT know you've had one right? Either way. Get an EKG done, ask for it! Then tell them you want additional testing. Some physicians like to kind of put a band aid over a cut, for a lack of better terms until shit gets real.

If you do have an underlying issue, which seems you do and probably been going on for quite some time. Get more tests done or go see a new Dr.
yeah, i went to see the doc last winter for something completely different, and they happened to notice the high CK levels. So it's been at least a year.

As far as a stroke or heart attack go, i have no idea if i ever had one. I would guess i haven't since i'm only 27, but like you said, it's possible and never know. i'll definitely ask about the EKG. In the meantime, i'll wait till my blood work comes back, and i'll post the new results when they come
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-13, 07:29 PM
  #26
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Superior Pro
Join Date: Jun 2012
Likes: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by casby View Post
yeah, i went to see the doc last winter for something completely different, and they happened to notice the high CK levels. So it's been at least a year.

As far as a stroke or heart attack go, i have no idea if i ever had one. I would guess i haven't since i'm only 27, but like you said, it's possible and never know. i'll definitely ask about the EKG. In the meantime, i'll wait till my blood work comes back, and i'll post the new results when they come
A heart attack can happen at your age and not even know about it. Either way, get yourself an EKG and further tests bro and keep this thread updated; I'm kind of curios. Good luck man!
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-13, 04:11 PM
  #27
 
Superior Amateur
Join Date: Nov 2007
Likes: 4
saw a new doctor today and got my latest blood test results back that were drawn last friday. This test was done with 2 weeks of not working out, no creatine, clen, nothing. only foreign substance in my system would be the 250mgs test a week.

The creatine kinase was 259 and the last one was 1393. I asked the doc if it's possible to jump that high from just working out, and he says it is. I didn't mention anything about the clen, but i'm not going to take it anymore anyways. It gives me a very uneasy feeling with my heart feeling like it's going to explode.
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-13, 04:57 PM
  #28
 
Superior Amateur
Join Date: Nov 2007
Likes: 4
Here's the results



is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 10:47 PM
  #29
 
Superior Newbie
Join Date: Aug 2013
Likes: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by casby View Post
i recently got some blood work done, and the CK levels came back at over 1300. normal range for me said it was 52-200. I've had high levels for the last year and a half, but this is twice as high as it's ever been. The only difference i can think of that i've made is the 250mgs test every week i'm taking. would test cause it to shoot up? And I haven't taken creatine for a year.
Hi,
I do not think that was because of the test you've undergone. Elevated levels of the enzyme indicate muscle damage or muscle strain such as in the case of a heart attack. Or In your case, it is cause by weight lifting that makes your muscles being overworked.
-Rosetta
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2011 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Superiormuscle.com Does not promote the use of anabolic steroids without a doctor's prescription. The information shared is for learning purposes only. The Administrators, and Moderators of this site are not liable for any injury caused by the misuse of any chemical used for bodybuilding purposes.