SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Fitness Section > Training
Reload this Page Starting a Push/Pull routine and need suggestions on best mass building exercises

Training Training Styles & Techniques Discussion


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-09, 04:03 PM
Starting a Push/Pull routine and need suggestions on best mass building exercises
  #1
 
Superior Newbie
Join Date: Jun 2007
Likes: 0
I was reading over one of Control's threads about a push/pull routine and I am planning on starting it in a few days, my goal is to bulk up a bit and will be lifting as heavy as possible. I will be doing:

Day 1: Push
Day 2: Off
Day 3: Pull
Day 4: Off
Day 5: Legs
Day 6: Off

I am looking for suggestions on which exercises to perform on each particular day that will give me the most gains. I know it is 90% diet, so I am pretty sure I am spot on with that after studying Bouncer and a few others diets. I calculated my BMR and am ready to go.

Can someone help me out by tossing together quickly the best mass building exercises and the amount of volume (sets) that I should do on each respective day. I appreciate everyone. Thanks.
is Offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-09, 04:13 PM
  #2
 
3v1lj03's Avatar
 
Superior Amateur
Join Date: Apr 2008
Likes: 1
Do multi joint exercises. Do the tried and true exercises for mass. Deadlifts, squats, benchpress, chins , rows, lunges if you want mass it's not rocket science as far as rep range there are many schools of thought but most fall into a range from 6 reps to 10 or 12. It depends on what your body responds to. I seem to put on the most mass in the higher rep ranges and the lower ranges make me strong but don't make me grow much.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 08:35 PM
  #3
 
Superior Newbie
Join Date: Jun 2007
Likes: 0
Could I do one compound movement on each day, (Bench on push, squats on legs and rows on pull). Then do some secondary isolation exercises to target each muscle group individually?
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 10:51 PM
  #4
 
dna9488's Avatar
 
Superior Admiral
Join Date: Mar 2006
Likes: 345
Push/Pull/Legs is a great workout. I put gains and size on quickly.


On push days: DB Bench press, shoulder presses, tricep extensions, tricep push downs, bench press, clean and press, etc...

On pull days: Dead lift, shoulder shrugs, bicep curls, lat pull downs, t-bar pulls, etc...

On leg days: Squats, leg press, loaded squat presses, leg extensions, leg kick backs, etc...

Hope this helps, hit each day hard and keep proper form with 6-8 reps, and watch the gains.


OF COURSE...you need a good diet. just give it a few months and your friends/family will compliment you on size
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 11:59 PM
  #5
 
redback's Avatar
 
Founding Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Likes: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by dna9488 View Post
Push/Pull/Legs is a great workout. I put gains and size on quickly.


On push days: DB Bench press, shoulder presses, tricep extensions, tricep push downs, bench press, clean and press, etc...

On pull days: Dead lift, shoulder shrugs, bicep curls, lat pull downs, t-bar pulls, etc...

On leg days: Squats, leg press, loaded squat presses, leg extensions, leg kick backs, etc...

Hope this helps, hit each day hard and keep proper form with 6-8 reps, and watch the gains.


OF COURSE...you need a good diet. just give it a few months and your friends/family will compliment you on size
What gains? What size did you put on quickly? Can you explain that.
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 02:42 AM
  #6
 
Superior Newbie
Join Date: Jun 2007
Likes: 0
dna.. thanks, thats the example i was looking for, i will give it a try, i have always been relatively lean and light, 5'10" 175lbs, but i need to put on some mass.. so my journey begins.........
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 04:18 AM
  #7
 
Superior Admiral
Join Date: Jul 2003
Likes: 0
I have been doing a PPL routine for a little over a year now. I wouldn't say I am the biggest all around ever (that's not my goal though) but I do think I have the best symmetry ever. Since it's a lot of compounds I will switch the isolation exercises each week. This seems to really keep my routine fresh.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 04:53 AM
  #8
 
bigscott's Avatar
 
Superior Pro
Join Date: Mar 2008
Likes: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanBeast View Post
I was reading over one of Control's threads about a push/pull routine and I am planning on starting it in a few days, my goal is to bulk up a bit and will be lifting as heavy as possible. I will be doing:

Day 1: Push
Day 2: Off
Day 3: Pull
Day 4: Off
Day 5: Legs
Day 6: Off

I am looking for suggestions on which exercises to perform on each particular day that will give me the most gains. I know it is 90% diet, so I am pretty sure I am spot on with that after studying Bouncer and a few others diets. I calculated my BMR and am ready to go.

Can someone help me out by tossing together quickly the best mass building exercises and the amount of volume (sets) that I should do on each respective day. I appreciate everyone. Thanks.

look up dogcrapps training setups !!! --

i do push pull but i train 5 to 6 days a week -

push - chest
pull - back
push - shoulders
legs
arms

i try and do legs twice a week -- or push one day - quads pull the next hams
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 09:42 AM
  #9
 
dna9488's Avatar
 
Superior Admiral
Join Date: Mar 2006
Likes: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by redback View Post
What gains? What size did you put on quickly? Can you explain that.

Well i see my family in virginia once every 2-3 months.

My uncle is into bodybuilding and when i started push/pull/legs, he noticed my shoulders, arms, and chest bigger, every few months i saw him.


I also noticed that i will lift more amount of weight.

For example: April 1, 2007 I could curl 30lbs 3 sets of 7 reps. By doing Push/Pull/Legs routine with proper dieting, I curled 35 on July 1st, 2007 3 sets for 6 reps.

Answer your question there?
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 11:40 PM
  #10
 
Nekrawulf's Avatar
 
Superior Pro
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: TN
Likes: 15
HAHA, you guys called me crazy a year ago when I told you the effectiveness of this.. welcome tot he dark side boys!
is Offline   Reply With Quote

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0