SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Fitness Section > Training
Reload this Page Starting a Push/Pull routine and need suggestions on best mass building exercises

Training Discuss training routines, splits, reps, sets, proper form & technique.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-09, 04:03 PM
Starting a Push/Pull routine and need suggestions on best mass building exercises

Superior Newbie
I was reading over one of Control's threads about a push/pull routine and I am planning on starting it in a few days, my goal is to bulk up a bit and will be lifting as heavy as possible. I will be doing:

Day 1: Push
Day 2: Off
Day 3: Pull
Day 4: Off
Day 5: Legs
Day 6: Off

I am looking for suggestions on which exercises to perform on each particular day that will give me the most gains. I know it is 90% diet, so I am pretty sure I am spot on with that after studying Bouncer and a few others diets. I calculated my BMR and am ready to go.

Can someone help me out by tossing together quickly the best mass building exercises and the amount of volume (sets) that I should do on each respective day. I appreciate everyone. Thanks.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 04:13 PM

Superior Amateur
Do multi joint exercises. Do the tried and true exercises for mass. Deadlifts, squats, benchpress, chins , rows, lunges if you want mass it's not rocket science as far as rep range there are many schools of thought but most fall into a range from 6 reps to 10 or 12. It depends on what your body responds to. I seem to put on the most mass in the higher rep ranges and the lower ranges make me strong but don't make me grow much.
Old 04-08-09, 08:35 PM

Superior Newbie
Could I do one compound movement on each day, (Bench on push, squats on legs and rows on pull). Then do some secondary isolation exercises to target each muscle group individually?
Old 04-08-09, 10:51 PM

Superior Admiral
Push/Pull/Legs is a great workout. I put gains and size on quickly.

On push days: DB Bench press, shoulder presses, tricep extensions, tricep push downs, bench press, clean and press, etc...

On pull days: Dead lift, shoulder shrugs, bicep curls, lat pull downs, t-bar pulls, etc...

On leg days: Squats, leg press, loaded squat presses, leg extensions, leg kick backs, etc...

Hope this helps, hit each day hard and keep proper form with 6-8 reps, and watch the gains.

OF COURSE...you need a good diet. just give it a few months and your friends/family will compliment you on size
Old 04-08-09, 11:59 PM

Superior Freak
Quote:
Originally Posted by dna9488 View Post
Push/Pull/Legs is a great workout. I put gains and size on quickly.

On push days: DB Bench press, shoulder presses, tricep extensions, tricep push downs, bench press, clean and press, etc...

On pull days: Dead lift, shoulder shrugs, bicep curls, lat pull downs, t-bar pulls, etc...

On leg days: Squats, leg press, loaded squat presses, leg extensions, leg kick backs, etc...

Hope this helps, hit each day hard and keep proper form with 6-8 reps, and watch the gains.

OF COURSE...you need a good diet. just give it a few months and your friends/family will compliment you on size
What gains? What size did you put on quickly? Can you explain that.
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 02:42 AM

Superior Newbie
dna.. thanks, thats the example i was looking for, i will give it a try, i have always been relatively lean and light, 5'10" 175lbs, but i need to put on some mass.. so my journey begins.........
Old 04-09-09, 04:18 AM

Superior Admiral
I have been doing a PPL routine for a little over a year now. I wouldn't say I am the biggest all around ever (that's not my goal though) but I do think I have the best symmetry ever. Since it's a lot of compounds I will switch the isolation exercises each week. This seems to really keep my routine fresh.
Old 04-09-09, 04:53 AM

Superior Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanBeast View Post
I was reading over one of Control's threads about a push/pull routine and I am planning on starting it in a few days, my goal is to bulk up a bit and will be lifting as heavy as possible. I will be doing:

Day 1: Push
Day 2: Off
Day 3: Pull
Day 4: Off
Day 5: Legs
Day 6: Off

I am looking for suggestions on which exercises to perform on each particular day that will give me the most gains. I know it is 90% diet, so I am pretty sure I am spot on with that after studying Bouncer and a few others diets. I calculated my BMR and am ready to go.

Can someone help me out by tossing together quickly the best mass building exercises and the amount of volume (sets) that I should do on each respective day. I appreciate everyone. Thanks.

look up dogcrapps training setups !!! --

i do push pull but i train 5 to 6 days a week -

push - chest
pull - back
push - shoulders
legs
arms

i try and do legs twice a week -- or push one day - quads pull the next hams
Old 04-09-09, 09:42 AM

Superior Admiral
Quote:
Originally Posted by redback View Post
What gains? What size did you put on quickly? Can you explain that.

Well i see my family in virginia once every 2-3 months.

My uncle is into bodybuilding and when i started push/pull/legs, he noticed my shoulders, arms, and chest bigger, every few months i saw him.

I also noticed that i will lift more amount of weight.

For example: April 1, 2007 I could curl 30lbs 3 sets of 7 reps. By doing Push/Pull/Legs routine with proper dieting, I curled 35 on July 1st, 2007 3 sets for 6 reps.

Answer your question there?
Old 04-16-09, 11:40 PM

Superior Pro
HAHA, you guys called me crazy a year ago when I told you the effectiveness of this.. welcome tot he dark side boys!