SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Fitness Section > Training
Reload this Page Deadlift weight to bodyweight ratio?

Training Discuss training routines, splits, reps, sets, proper form & technique.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-10, 11:56 AM
Deadlift weight to bodyweight ratio?

I haven't done deadlifts in a long time. Tomorrow, I am going to do attempt them as part of my core workout.

I have been looking at Rippetoe videos on Youtube getting my form down. My question is: What weight should I target to achieve? I know I will start light but what's a reasonable goal in a few workouts?

According to this site, the following standards apply to a 132lb male:

Untrained: 113lbs
Novice: 209lbs
Intermediate: 239lbs
Advanced: 342lbs
Elite: 438lbs

I know there aren't any other 130lbs lifters on this board but what worked for you when you started deadlifting? I am going to start with 135lbs and go from there. What do you guys think?
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 12:04 PM

i am a little different then many on here.

i don't do dead lifts as a "core" strengthening exercise..

i do dead lifts to train the muscles of the lower back, hips and hamstrings.

i do 3 sets, 225lbs, and i dont count reps. i do each set until my lower back and hams are on fire.

could i do much more weight if i was doing 8 or 10 reps.. sure. but my interest is in training the muscle and making it bigger. not putting pressure on the hips and spine with tons of meaningless weight.

i cant tell you how many people i see doing heavy ass dead lifts that look like they have never been to a gym in their life.

Last edited by THE BOUNCER; 02-04-10 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-04-10, 12:13 PM

P.S. I only do stiff leg deads.. just a slight bent knee.
Old 02-04-10, 12:37 PM

Superior Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
P.S. I only do stiff leg deads.. just a slight bent knee.
I do these as well but as a warm up for my real deads. Love the feeling I get in my lower back with these.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 01:59 PM

Superior Admiral
About twice your body weight is about right for someone that's been training a good while, 3 x bodyweight is basically world class IMO. However short guys are expected to be better in terms of any power to weight ratio.

I can pull twice my Bodyweight, I like bouncers tactic though it allows him to work the target muscles consistently, try heavy deadlifting every week without being on tons of juice and see how fast you get a sore lower back in a bad way and possibly injured
Old 02-05-10, 09:23 AM

How many sets and reps/set do you guys shoot for? Goal is strength. I did 5 sets of 6-8 reps today.
Old 02-05-10, 04:09 PM

Superior Amateur
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
i am a little different then many on here.

i don't do dead lifts as a "core" strengthening exercise..

i do dead lifts to train the muscles of the lower back, hips and hamstrings.

i do 3 sets, 225lbs, and i dont count reps. i do each set until my lower back and hams are on fire.

could i do much more weight if i was doing 8 or 10 reps.. sure. but my interest is in training the muscle and making it bigger. not putting pressure on the hips and spine with tons of meaningless weight.

i cant tell you how many people i see doing heavy ass dead lifts that look like they have never been to a gym in their life.
and to add to that, it may take a few cycles to land at that point when u can say "dam my trunk or core as its is called is toast. head up and chin up at the top and like the bouncer said it aint the weight its the fatigue at the end u feel on that group
Old 02-07-10, 03:14 PM

Superior Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf View Post
How many sets and reps/set do you guys shoot for? Goal is strength. I did 5 sets of 6-8 reps today.
If goal is strength I wouldn't do more than 6 reps and possibly less. Maybe get on Rippetoe? I find myself overdoing it and getting really tired if I just do random amounts of deads.
Old 02-07-10, 03:25 PM

Thanks! My goal is strength with minimum bodyweight increase - that's critical for me to ensure I can still run and do other things that are key for functional fitness.

As far as deadlifts go, it's a delicate balance for me right now while I still nail down the right form.. I am focusing on form right now and making sure I don't screw up my back or anything like that. I've been using Rippetoe for nailing down the finer points of the deadlifta and the squat. I've learned a lot from the videos but I haven't read Starting Strength yet - maybe I will purchase it one of these days.
Old 02-07-10, 04:06 PM

Superior Amateur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf View Post
Thanks! My goal is strength with minimum bodyweight increase - that's critical for me to ensure I can still run and do other things that are key for functional fitness.

As far as deadlifts go, it's a delicate balance for me right now while I still nail down the right form.. I am focusing on form right now and making sure I don't screw up my back or anything like that. I've been using Rippetoe for nailing down the finer points of the deadlifta and the squat. I've learned a lot from the videos but I haven't read Starting Strength yet - maybe I will purchase it one of these days.
As far as strength and deadlifts go. For me and the people I train for power lifting I am most concerned with form the power will come if the form is correct.
Old 02-07-10, 04:19 PM

Superior Amateur
I just watched the Rippetoe video for proper deadlift form and I have to fairly strongly disagree. It is unlikely that you will produce an "Elite level" lift if you follow his deadlift method. What he is advocating looks like a hi bred of a strait leg or Romanian and a regular deadlift.
Old 02-07-10, 04:47 PM

Hmmm... your comment is interesting. Rippetoe is universally regarded as a top notch strength coach and is a former champion powerlifter.
Old 02-07-10, 09:13 PM

Superior Amateur
well, you know I am just an amateur power lifter who pulls 560lb at 198 lbs does not make me an expert. BTW I intend to pull 600 by sept. God willing and my knee holds out.
Like I should have said above it's my opinion.
Old 02-07-10, 09:26 PM

Superior Amateur
Scrum I just read your CF log and if you have core strength issues that is your problem with deads. You have to have a very strong core to stablize the torso in order to get the power out of your legs as well as a good set of Spinal Erectors
Old 02-08-10, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3v1lj03 View Post
Scrum I just read your CF log and if you have core strength issues that is your problem with deads. You have to have a very strong core to stablize the torso in order to get the power out of your legs as well as a good set of Spinal Erectors
Core strength is definitely a major goal of my workouts. I'm giving myself 1 year to be able to do standing ab rollouts. Let's see if I can pull it off.. .