SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Fitness Section > Training
Reload this Page Running VS Walking up hill

Training Discuss training routines, splits, reps, sets, proper form & technique.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-11, 06:21 PM
Question Running VS Walking up hill

Superior Pro
Need your guys' opinion and/or expertise. I've recently decided to get my cardio game back up, not so much to get in marathon running condition, as much as I want to just shed some extra body fat.
At both gyms I go to, the one down the street and the one in my complex (cardio only), they use those precor treadmills. Well I've been playing with the levels of speed and incline trying to see which is optimal for burning body fat. I've stuck with a comfortable, fairly simple program of just either a full 15% incline at about 3-4 mph (those are mph right? Haha) which burns me around 13 cals per minute. Or ill run at around 7mph at a 2-3% incline which according to the machine yields about the same cals per minute.

Ill do this till I got no more gas or just for a quick morning cardio every morning.

Questions..

How accurate are those treadmills when it comes to telling you how many cals you're burning?

Is it better to run in the morning or@ night? (I've been goin in the morning on an empty stomach figuring id burn up some fat stores.)

Any comments, opinions welcomed.

Thanks
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 06:37 PM

Superior Admiral
I am jogging/light run Sunday's-Wednesday's for about 15min on an empty stomach. I drink water as soon as i wake up and than i use the bathroom, change, and make an amino acid shake. I have definitely noticed the fat dropping. In one week you'll shed a 5lbs+
Old 06-30-11, 06:37 PM

Calorie counters are garbage. Running is going to be better than walking any day because you are moving a lot more than your legs while running.

Morning vs. night... hard to say. There's data that fasted cardio burns fat, but it can also enhance muscle burning, so it's a double edged sword. Basic approach is - do whatever works with your schedule that you'll be able to stick with.
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna9488 View Post
I am jogging/light run Sunday's-Wednesday's for about 15min on an empty stomach. I drink water as soon as i wake up and than i use the bathroom, change, and make an amino acid shake. I have definitely noticed the fat dropping. In one week you'll shed a 5lbs+
If you shed 5 lbs per week, I can guarantee at least half of it is water or muscle. Don't shoot for more than 2-2.5 lbs per week of FAT loss - it is not possible.
Old 06-30-11, 07:00 PM

Superior Pro
Thanks scrum.
Old 06-30-11, 07:00 PM

Superior Pro
I like running in the morning too dna gets my day ready for some reason
Old 06-30-11, 07:44 PM

Superior Admiral
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf View Post
If you shed 5 lbs per week, I can guarantee at least half of it is water or muscle. Don't shoot for more than 2-2.5 lbs per week of FAT loss - it is not possible.
Yea, i know a lot is water. Freaks me out because near the end of the week i dip to 210, i just eat it back over the weekend
Old 07-01-11, 02:23 AM

Superior Admiral
Walk and burn fat, job and lose muscle and upper body strength
Old 07-01-11, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr incredible View Post
Walk and burn fat, job and lose muscle and upper body strength
Tell that to the Olympic sprinters who look more like a bodybuilder then any other Olympic athlete.
Old 07-01-11, 09:11 AM

Superior Pro
Speaking of sprinting...

Scrum, do you ever just run sprints for cardio? Since soccer season is here I've been getting a lot of sprinting in. Since we play 9v9 it really is a sprint - walk - sprint - walk type of game. I'd much rather do that then jog for 3 miles.
Old 07-01-11, 10:39 AM

I have heard those power sprint type things release all kinds of gh and test into your system. Could be just a bunch of rubbish though.
Old 07-01-11, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd77 View Post
Speaking of sprinting...

Scrum, do you ever just run sprints for cardio? Since soccer season is here I've been getting a lot of sprinting in. Since we play 9v9 it really is a sprint - walk - sprint - walk type of game. I'd much rather do that then jog for 3 miles.
I used to run intervals on the track but they are very hard on my old joints.. so I quit doing them. I do a lot of conditioning with intervals but not necessarily sprinting any more. But if you can do them, running intervals are a FANTASTIC way to build fitness. For example, walk the curves on a track and run the straights.

I also do hill sprints when I get a chance (I don't live near a hill and I hate driving a long distance to work out). It is where I run up a hill, walk back down, run up, etc.

I'll try to find some links and post them.
Old 07-01-11, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOSSUS View Post
Need your guys' opinion and/or expertise. I've recently decided to get my cardio game back up, not so much to get in marathon running condition, as much as I want to just shed some extra body fat.
At both gyms I go to, the one down the street and the one in my complex (cardio only), they use those precor treadmills. Well I've been playing with the levels of speed and incline trying to see which is optimal for burning body fat. I've stuck with a comfortable, fairly simple program of just either a full 15% incline at about 3-4 mph (those are mph right? Haha) which burns me around 13 cals per minute. Or ill run at around 7mph at a 2-3% incline which according to the machine yields about the same cals per minute.

Ill do this till I got no more gas or just for a quick morning cardio every morning.

Questions..

How accurate are those treadmills when it comes to telling you how many cals you're burning?

Is it better to run in the morning or@ night? (I've been goin in the morning on an empty stomach figuring id burn up some fat stores.)

Any comments, opinions welcomed.

Thanks
Running for sure. Ya there is a chance you will loose muscle but that will happen anyway if you wanna be ripped.
keep you body guessing. run , walk up hill, jog up hill, walk flat, sprint, ECT
I change every 5 mins or so. sometimes quicker when sprinting up hill,lol
Old 07-01-11, 01:51 PM
Thumbs down

Superior Admiral
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
Tell that to the Olympic sprinters who look more like a bodybuilder then any other Olympic athlete.
Sprinting not jogging! Short burst explosive like weights not jogging
Old 07-05-11, 09:40 PM

Superior Newbie
Off topic a bit, but I do an hour of cycling either at the velodrome doing 500m standing start sprints followed by 10 lap cooldown, repeat for an hour. or I go for ride on road for an hour.

IMO the velodrome sprints rips the water out and seems to burn more fat.
Old 07-06-11, 01:58 AM

Superior Admiral
HIIT on stationary bike is good IMO, level 15 for 5 minutes then up to level 20 for a minute, level 15 for next 4 mins then level 20 again, do 30 mins in total.
Old 07-07-11, 03:43 AM

Superior Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
They also buy Primobolan by the liter when the "take a break from the track" and run more HGH than this board combined - allegedly.
Old 07-07-11, 08:25 AM

Haha allegedly.
Old 07-14-11, 12:34 PM

Superior Newbie
Jogging at 4.8 to 5.0 mph seems for me to be most effective for pure fat loss(30 min). I have done the marathon thing and have the ability to run faster but, it eats my muscle up. Nothing like getting weaker when you are absolutely busting your ass in the gym.
Old 07-20-11, 11:05 AM

Superior Newbie
I think running is better for walking up on hill because in running you don't have any risk but when you walk up on hill, it has some risk of injuries. Now go your nearly park and run slow, it is very useful for your health. Thanks
Old 07-20-11, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey View Post
I think running is better for walking up on hill because in running you don't have any risk but when you walk up on hill, it has some risk of injuries. Now go your nearly park and run slow, it is very useful for your health. Thanks
Stfu