No announcement yet.

Five-Time Olympic Gold Medalist Bradley Wiggins Caught in Lie About Steroid Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five-Time Olympic Gold Medalist Bradley Wiggins Caught in Lie About Steroid Use

Five-Time Olympic Gold Medalist Bradley Wiggins Caught in Apparent Lie About His Use of Injectable Steroids

Professional cyclist Bradley Wiggins, the 2012 Tour de France champion and 2016 Rio Olympics gold medalist, has been caught in an apparent lie about his use of steroid injections. The lie was exposed as a result of the data breach committed by the Russian hacker group known as the Fancy Bear Hack Team.

The Fancy Bear Hack Team released documents that showed Wiggins received intramuscular steroid injections prior to the 2011 Tour de France, the 2012 Tour de France and the 2013 Giro d'Italia. Wiggins won the 2012 Tour de France.

The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) approved Wiggins' use of the banned injectable corticosteroid triamcinolone (Aristocort) and the banned long-acting beta agonist salbutamol (Albuterol) on three occasions. The former drug was prescribed as a treatment for hay fever and the latter drug was prescribed for asthma. Both are listed as banned PEDs on the WADA List of Prohibited Substances.

Wiggins followed all of the rules and didn't do anything wrong according to the WADA, UCI, and British Cycling. However, Wiggins appears to have lied about his use of “injections” in his 2012 autobiography “My Time”.

In the book, Wiggins claimed he “never” received any injection exception for vaccinations and also intravaneous “drips” to treat severe cases of dehydration on occasion. But he was adamant that he never received any other type of injections.

“I’ve never had an injection, apart from I’ve had my vaccinations, and on occasion I’ve been put on a drip, when I’ve come down with diarrhea or something or have been severely dehydrated,” Wiggins said in his book.

When confronted with this apparent lie, Wiggins refused to accept any responsibility for misleading readers about his use of injections. Rather than acknowledge he was not telling the truth in his book, Wiggins doubled down and insisted his comments about “never” using injectable drugs were entirely consistent with his use of injectable drugs.

“Brad's passing comment regarding needles in the 2012 book referred to the historic (illegal) practice of intravenous injections of performance enhancing substances which was the subject of the 2012 UCI law change.

“The traimcinolone (sic) injection that is referred to in the WADA leaks is an intramuscular treatment for asthma, is fully approved by the sport's governing bodies and Brad stands by his comment concerning the use of illegal intravenous needle injections.”

Wiggins insisted that he was obviously talking about illegal intraVENOUS injections and NOT illegal intraMUSCULAR injections when he made the statement in his book. In other words, Wiggins now claims he never denied using injectable (intramuscular) steroids in his 2012 autobiography.

However, if the context of the statement was illegal intravenous drugs, it is baffling why he would discuss intraMUSCULAR vaccinations in literally the same sentence.

Of course, Wiggins was in a difficult position. If he were to admit lying about his use of injectable drugs, it would make people skeptical of his claims to have never used PEDs.
Working...
X