Q&A With Shawn Ray - AAS/Health

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q&A With Shawn Ray - AAS/Health

Q: In the extreme world of bodybuilding how did you manage to be at the top and not jump on the size train? You seem to have kept a sane approach to bodybuilding unlike some others.

A: I kept a close eye on the ones pursuing Size and whether it actually made them Better or worse.
    Flex got bigger I don't think better.
    MoMo B got bigger and I think it cost him his life.
    Dorian got bigger, I didn't think he got better.
    Jean Fux bigger, not better.

I stayed with what was working for me as I turned Pro at 197lbs & Joe WEIDER told me then "At my height 210lb Max and I'd have a long career!"
    Those words and my personal observations were never far from my contest mental approach.

Q: Shawn were you ever tempted to work with Chad Nichols since Flex, Paul and Nasser were?

A: In 1996 after placing 2nd to Dorian, I guest posed at chads show in Springfield, Missouri and we had dinner with mutual friends. He subtly offered his assistance but qualified it by saying "it looked I knew what I was doing."
    We left it at that.
    I continued doing my own thing as I watched one tragedy after another with regard to the athletes working with Chad:
    Flex- Kidneys
    Don Long- Kidneys
    Tom Prince- Kidneys
    Trevor Smith- Dead
    Don Youngblood- Dead
    Art Atwood- Dead
    Nasser- Dead

Those are but a few I knew and watched who worked with "The Chad" as I felt I was at War against his Science Projects.

I didn't want to wind up on the "Dead Pool List" as the Bodies began stacking up.

Later I realized these Pro's were making educated & calculated decisions to work with him so they either reaped the rewards of success ala: Kim & Ronnie or suffered the effects of what they put themselves at risk for.

I think I made the wise decision to do thing, keep doing things my way and ensure a long healthy career.

It's a law of averages and risky at best not based on Medical Science, Physicals or a Doctor supervision.
    That said, flex, Ronnie, Chris and Nasser racked up tons of wins and it was captivating to many wanna be's that never would be.

People flock to the Trainer with Champions and have total disregard for predispositions such as OCD, Dormant Health issues, reactions to certain chemicals, etc.

At the end of the day most feel there is security with advise of someone more experienced .Working with other genetically superior athletes as if the science will take them to the same heights as freaks like Flex, Ronnie and Nasser is typically a Pipe Dream.

Common sense told me that someone I don't know advising me on something I don't need is time consuming and probably expensive.

This sport is still very much the Wild Wild West and you have to find your way through it as safe as you can.
Working...
X