Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gonna Give T-Mobile 5G Home Internet a Try

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    What's your ISP anyway? Tile Contractor

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Madmardigan View Post
      What's your ISP anyway? Tile Contractor
      gotta be a bot/spammer but i'll bite because of how dumb the fucken question is...

      what the fuck do you think this thread is about you stupid mother fucker?

      Comment


      • #18
        Been holding pretty stable at this range no matter what time of day I test. Important to note that I always have the TV on in background so these speed tests are always done with another device using the internet at the same time.

        Comment


        • #19
          Surprisingly stable. It really doesn't change. I've run these tests at all times of day and night weekdays and weekends and it's basically locked in this range now. early on i was seeing rare 100mbps and rare 500mbps but I haven't seen that as of the last week or so. It's just a locked 225ish mbps down and 12ish mbps up.

          4 days left on my billing cycle and have used 1.8 terabytes of data so far. will definitely be over 2 terabytes by the end of my first full month. I'm definitely a "high data customer" in the eyes of any ISP so we shall see if T-Mobile plays any games..

          Comment


          • #20
            You seem to be in a good spot for your service. Hopefully it will stay this way as more people jump on it. I think TMobile seems to be committed to expanding their 5G service, so hopefully they will install enough infrastructure and the backhaul as well to maintain performance. I read a bunch of reviews and they seem to be getting variable speeds - less than 50 Mbps at some times during the day and over 200 Mbps at other times.

            At this point, I plan to stay with my service (Spectrum cable) as I am getting good performance, but definitely will keep TMobile in mind for the future if my rates go up.

            Here is what I got this morning and this is with one Zoom session I am on for work.

            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-05-04 07-17-12.png
Views:	69
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1008002

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
              You seem to be in a good spot for your service. Hopefully it will stay this way as more people jump on it. I think TMobile seems to be committed to expanding their 5G service, so hopefully they will install enough infrastructure and the backhaul as well to maintain performance. I read a bunch of reviews and they seem to be getting variable speeds - less than 50 Mbps at some times during the day and over 200 Mbps at other times.

              At this point, I plan to stay with my service (Spectrum cable) as I am getting good performance, but definitely will keep TMobile in mind for the future if my rates go up.

              Here is what I got this morning and this is with one Zoom session I am on for work.

              Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2021-05-04 07-17-12.png Views:	0 Size:	83.0 KB ID:	1008002
              i can beat you if i use other speed test sites. you gotta use the main one that pops up first in the google results. it's the most accurate. here's an example of my speeds from speedtest.net which isn't as accurate as google's M-Lab. isp's have been known to give priority to speed test sites. it's not possible for them to do that with the M-Lab speed test from google. (the first one that pops up in google search).


              Comment


              • #22
                we did it! 2 terabits used in a billing cycle! probably the max i'm capable of using. went out of my way to really push it this month to see if I could find any weakness or service disruption. it's been flawless in that regard. so for me I give it A+ grade. but be warned. like scrum mentioned. i have seen a lot of people with a terrible experience. all depends on your area and the towers etc.. i'm clearly in a a good area for T-mobile 5g towers.



                another thing i do want to mention for those that may be considering this. i did end up going with my own router. the tmobile modem/router is fine but I did notice every once in awhile that certain random websites wouldn't load. it wasn't a service disruption because i had super fast internet the whole time. it was just certain random websites that simply would not load. i read up on the issue and found out it was a DNS issue that is easily fixed by plugging your own router into the tmobile unit. worked like a charm and took 5 minutes to set up. router cost like $45 on amazon. fixed all DNS issues. i chalk it up to growing pains for a brand new service. was a very easy fix for me but i can see it maybe being a bigger issue for those who aren't very tech savy.

                i went with this one. my speeds actually increased by about 15mbps once I started using this. i assume because of stronger signal inside the home. https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC120...0304955&sr=8-6

                Comment


                • #23
                  Still Rock solid..

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Good stuff, looks like the 5G service is excellent for you.

                    Here's mine on Spectrum. I used Google's m-Lab for the test. The numbers are very consistent with other test methods.

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-05-09 15-39-31.png
Views:	81
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1008044

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
                      Good stuff, looks like the 5G service is excellent for you.

                      Here's mine on Spectrum. I used Google's m-Lab for the test. The numbers are very consistent with other test methods.

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-05-09 15-39-31.png
Views:	81
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1008044
                      Here's my result using the main speedtest app that everyone uses. (Not M-Lab). It uses a closer test server but you can see the speed is a lot faster using them rather then M-Lab which I tend to trust more.

                      So for me M-Lab is the slowest but I tend to trust it more. Not sure which to believe. All the other speed test sites put me closer to 350mbps down. M-Lab always has me around 250mbps but the server is in San Fran so it's a bit further away.

                      First world conflicted problems...



                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Getting quicker. I don't know if it's country wide or just a Northern Cali thing but I'm seeing T-Mobile stores pop up everywhere. I don't see ATT or Verizon stores nearly as much as I used to. Has me wondering if they are adding more coverage/upgrading more towers around here. The T-Mobile router was averaging 3/4 bars when I got it a month ago. I haven't touched it. It's now locked at 5 bars signal.

                        Test i did yesterday around lunch time.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Well, that's badass, I've got to say. T-Mobile has definitely been expanding aggressively their 5G coverage. The have been using Sprint spectrum to do so. That's their selling point - that they have the best 5G network around and will continue to expand to maintain that.

                          I want to see some real competition on pricing. It almost seems like the three companies have colluded on pricing. There are some small differences but if you have a 4-line plan, for example, the differences are not that great. I am paying $160 or so per month for 4 lines. I need to determine if there are cheaper options but my wife is dead set against change. She's from the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school. Her phone is her lifeline to her siblings who are scattered across the country.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
                            Well, that's badass, I've got to say. T-Mobile has definitely been expanding aggressively their 5G coverage. The have been using Sprint spectrum to do so. That's their selling point - that they have the best 5G network around and will continue to expand to maintain that.

                            I want to see some real competition on pricing. It almost seems like the three companies have colluded on pricing. There are some small differences but if you have a 4-line plan, for example, the differences are not that great. I am paying $160 or so per month for 4 lines. I need to determine if there are cheaper options but my wife is dead set against change. She's from the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school. Her phone is her lifeline to her siblings who are scattered across the country.
                            yea. i understand her point. same with the home internet thing. right now the t-mobile home internet thing is in infant stages and while I have been lucky with great coverage it seems very hit or miss. seems like people either have blazing speeds or they are stuck on some dogshit tower with garbage speeds.

                            you can always give it a test run. keep your current internet. order the tmobile 5g home internet and give it a test run. if your coverage is great and you have no issues then great. if not just cancel the service. that's exactly what I did. i wasn't going to cancel my old internet until i absolutely knew the new service was rock solid at all times of day and night.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Sunday afternoon test. Service remains perfect. No drops or disconnects.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Getting incrementally quicker. Upload isn't all that impressive but download is sick.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X