Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bouncer
    replied
    Speed test is wrong then. Your internet would not work with those packet loss numbers.

Sounds like your good to go. No slow down during the day?

Leave a comment:

• Scrumhalf
    replied
    Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
    Give this a try. Let me know.

https://packetlosstest.com

Yeah, tried that one and I get zero packet loss. So, I'm beginning to think that the speedtest.net's packet loss numbers are not right. I don't have any issues with streaming 4K. No stuttering or lag that I can tell. Funny thing is, at one point, speedtest.net was reporting 99.5% packet loss lol... and the 4K stream was rolling along merrily without any problems.

Leave a comment:

• Bouncer
    replied
    Give this a try. Let me know.

https://packetlosstest.com

Leave a comment:

• Bouncer
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
    I did a ping packet test like the old days from the command prompt of my PC and got zero dropped packets. So in beginning to think something is not right with the reporting. I'll dig into it some more over the weekend.
    yea i don't believe you have 60% packet loss or anything close to it. if you did your internet would be basically unusable. that's extremely high.

do youtube videos load up fast and play in 4k without buffering? if so you don't have anything close to 60% loss.

Leave a comment:

• Scrumhalf
    replied
    I did a ping packet test like the old days from the command prompt of my PC and got zero dropped packets. So in beginning to think something is not right with the reporting. I'll dig into it some more over the weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Bouncer
    replied
    This is all over the map. Got zero just now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210813-152318_Speedtest.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	1008934
    Find something on Netflix or Prime that's 4k and just let it stream. If you actually have 60% packet loss like those tests are saying a 4k stream will be a fucken mess. You'll have loading screens, quality degradation etc..

​​​something is off. I suspect dns errors giving false readings. I would do your own router wired directly into the trashcan. The turn off all wifi from the trashcan itself leaving only the separate router to handle the job. I believe that will give you a constant and stable reading instead of all over the place.

Leave a comment:

• Scrumhalf
    replied
    This is all over the map. Got zero just now.

Name:	Screenshot_20210813-152318_Speedtest.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	1008934

Leave a comment:

• Bouncer
    replied
    Packet loss is a generic problem with cell networks, I think. I don't think there is anything unique about the trashcan. I connected my phone directly to the cellular network (Sprint/TMo) and got over 70% packet loss. I then tried my AT&T phone also directly to the cellular and got over 90% packet loss. Both my phones are 4G phones.

Bouncer, can you connect your phone directly to the Google Fi network and see what you get?
    It's zero % bro. Just like the trashcan. Because my data on Fi also uses the same T-Mobile tower.

My bet is that your area has too much traffic for the available towers.

Leave a comment:

• Bouncer
    replied
    I am curious what your packet loss is. Your screenshot has a cyan ? which means the server you chose didn't measure/report packet loss. See if you can switch servers to one that reports packet loss. I am getting huge variability, from 2% to 90%. I haven't tested it with my router yet.
    The only one I could find that actually shows it is a test server 90 miles away. Speed is lower but packet loss shows 0%.

Leave a comment:

• Scrumhalf
    replied
    Packet loss is a generic problem with cell networks, I think. I don't think there is anything unique about the trashcan. I connected my phone directly to the cellular network (Sprint/TMo) and got over 70% packet loss. I then tried my AT&T phone also directly to the cellular and got over 90% packet loss. Both my phones are 4G phones.

Bouncer, can you connect your phone directly to the Google Fi network and see what you get?

Leave a comment:

• Scrumhalf
    replied
    I am curious what your packet loss is. Your screenshot has a cyan ? which means the server you chose didn't measure/report packet loss. See if you can switch servers to one that reports packet loss. I am getting huge variability, from 2% to 90%. I haven't tested it with my router yet.

Leave a comment:

• Scrumhalf
    replied
    830 am. Speed's holding. I will debug the packet loss issue over the weekend.

Name:	Screenshot_20210813-083158_Speedtest.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	1008917

Leave a comment:

• Scrumhalf
    replied
    Yeah, I noticed that. I was going to do a comparison with my existing service but didn't get around to it.

Leave a comment:

• Bouncer
    replied
    scrum one thing I'm seeing in your speed test results is high packet loss. it may be fixed by plugging in your own router. it may be a DNS issue. could also be a sign that the tower you are connected to has too much congestion. 60% loss is pretty bad so try to get that lower.

also, try changing to a different test server within the speed test app. that may fix it.

"Packet loss occurs when a packet of data being sent over the internet is not received or is incomplete. This is described in percentage of packets lost compared to packets sent. Packet loss in most cases is result of poor signal/line quality."

https://www.dnsstuff.com/reduce-packet-loss

Leave a comment:

• Bouncer
    replied
    Speed slightly increased at 1120 pm. Nice upload speed!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20210812-232029_Speedtest.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.6 KB ID:	1008910
    It's funny how close our speeds are even though we are 400 miles apart. i think it's safe to say T-Mobile coverage in cali is very good. just did a quick test. this has remained my average for months now. mine stays the same no matter what time of day or night. same with weekends it's always right around this speed. seems to be capped at 500mbps because it never goes above that, just hovers right under it.

hopefully whatever tower you're connected to doesn't get too much cell traffic during the day. if your speed goes back to the 200's this afternoon you will know. though it must be said, even 200mbps is fast enough to stream 4k on multiple tv's, zoom calls, etc...

i haven't experienced a single disruption in service the whole time I've had it. it's been better than my previous traditional wired internet connection which would occasionally drop out for a few minutes once or twice a month. hopefully you will have the same reliable experience.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X