• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday 5/6 Baseball

YTD 13-8

NY Mets +105 Atlanta Braves
    Mets/Braves Over 9 -103

I watched the whole game last night and what a crazy game. If you watched that game, you would agree that the Mets had no right winning that game and the Braves should have won an easy one. I had a bet on the Braves last night and lost. What was interesting was all the tell signs that was foreshadowed the outcome of the game.

The Mets throughout the first half of the game continually got to Davies and had plenty of opportunities to blow this game wide open but time and time again left men on base. Conversely, the Braves always seemed to control the game where they have on numerous occasions took the lead and forced the Mets to play catchup. At this point, I really felt that this was an easy one for the Braves, especially when they went up 6-2.

Then, all of the sudden, all the sign did an exact 180. The Mets came back and tied the game all credited to their lousy pen and bad fielding. I think the telling moment was when Renteria let one go between his legs to allow the Mets to start a 4-run comeback rally. He had a chance to burst all the Mets hopes by making a statement with an easy double-play ball with the Mets having two-men on first and second with no outs in the bottom of the 7th.

Then from there on, slowly and surely, you could see the Mets slowly take over the game as Cox quickly depleting his pen and the Braves all of sudden have difficulty getting hits or men into scoring position, whereas the Mets consistently got men on with decent chances to score. The last chance the Braves had was when the Braves had no one else left in the pen and was forced to go with Sosa for the rest of the game. He made a gamble which paid off as he pinch hit for Reitsma with Betemit who hit a dinger to take a 1-run lead in the top of the 10th. The Mets did not give up and came back with 2 runs to take the game.

This matchup is so tough to cap as these two teams will go all out just to beat each other. I swear it's like playoff baseball or a Yankees/Red Sox type of game. With that said, with these type of games, there is a lotta value with the home team despite who is starting in the game.

Hudson have been good for the Braves with his last outing against the Mets pitching a complete game and holding them to 1-run. He will have to do the same today as the Braves pen is obviously spent. Their best reliever Ray will most likely not be available for today's game as he pitched 3 games in a row, but then again who knows with Cox. What's surprising is that Hudson has had succes against the Braves but the Mets bats have good numbers against him, especially the #3-5 batters all batting well over .300 against him. I'm banking that he will not repeat as these numbers will eventually show itself.

The Mets are sending Zambrano today who is the opposite of Hudson when it comes to these two teams. The Mets are 1-4 when he starts for them against the Braves. But conversely to Hudson, the middle of the Braves lineup are batting well under .300 against him. I'm banking that he'll keep this game close to allow the pen to take over and win this game for them. The Mets also used quite a few relievers last night but they're still one of the best in the league and I'm sure that they will use whoever to take this game in this heated rivalry.

Conventional wisdom says that Hudson should pitch a gem and shut down the Mets and Zambrano will give up too much for the Mets to comeback. But after watching last night's game and a bad Braves pen, I say screw the usual the analysis and go with the home team in another shootout at a pickem price.
Working...
X