The British Military

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The British Military

British Army Seeks "Snowflakes" And "Selfie Addicts" As Recruitment Numbers Slide

In but the latest sign the British Army is failing to meet recruitment numbers as it's reeling from the UK's worst troop shortage since 2010, and following a new law opening army ranks to foreign nationals of Commonwealth countries, a new series of recruitment posters is calling on “snowflakes, selfie addicts, class clowns, phone zombies, and me, me, millennials” to sign up as part of a gimmicky new recruitment drive targeting young people.

The television and poster campaign is titled "Your Army Needs You" and attempts to tap into both millenials' and Gen Z'ers “need for a bigger sense of purpose”, according to a statement by Maj Gen Paul Nanson.

Mostly the adds target Generation Z, which is generally defined as encompassing 16 to 25-year-olds and invites them to have the "compassion" of snowflakes and the "confidence" of selfie takers, among other slogans.

The recruitment add layout is historically inspired of the "Your Country Needs You" World War I posters featuring Field Marshal Lord Kitchener, but with contemporary "inclusive" themes. This after a year ago the army was accused of bowing to political correctness after launching a prior campaign to aim for greater "diversity" in the ranks, including in the area of gender, sexuality, ethnicity and faith — though we have no idea how either inclusivity or recruiting "snowflakes" helps with war preparedness.
Working...
X