SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Fitness Section > Competitive Bodybuilding
Reload this Page Kevin Levrone 2016 Olympia!!!

Competitive Bodybuilding Contest Prep & Bodybuilding Discussion

Like Tree115Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-16, 12:31 AM

VEGETARIAN
I do think that Al Beckles, robby Robinson etc would laugh. They were competing that age anyway
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-16, 12:44 AM

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr I View Post
I do think that Al Beckles, robby Robinson etc would laugh. They were competing that age anyway
Not with the drugs needed to place today brother.

Shawn's a realist, flex is a dreamer. I can appreciate both perspectives and think both perspectives have their advantages. In this case though I agree more with the realist perspective. I believe Shawn will look silly out there even though I hope I'm wrong.

Levrone is older than Mike Tyson. Can you imagine 50 year old Mike Tyson going up against Tyson Fury right now?
Old 08-06-16, 11:09 AM

Administrator
New pic. Looks great but nowhere near Mr.O caliber.

dna9488 likes this.
Old 08-06-16, 12:17 PM

Founding Member
He is about 30lbs to light.
Old 08-07-16, 11:16 AM

Superior Amateur
Man thos guy does shit i 8 weeks people can not do in lifetimes he is a genetic mutant
Old 08-07-16, 11:55 AM

Administrator
jolter604 likes this.
Old 08-07-16, 01:20 PM

Superior Amateur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
Mutant beast he should play a dc comic guy for sure
Old 08-08-16, 09:44 PM

Superior Pro
He looks great. Anyone know his current weight?
Old 08-08-16, 09:54 PM

Founding Member
He won't say his weight and he keeps saying weight doesn't matter. Symmetry, proportions and presentation are what matters.
Old 08-08-16, 10:20 PM

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckz28 View Post
He won't say his weight and he keeps saying weight doesn't matter. Symmetry, proportions and presentation are what matters.
Wait till he's standing next to Ramy..
dna9488 likes this.
Old 08-08-16, 10:26 PM

Founding Member
Yeah but in his defense Ramy is by far the biggest dude on stage and can't break the top 6.

Although this could be Ramy's break out year with Aceto. Aceto is going to have him come in at 290 according to an RX muscle interview which should be his most shredded look yet. Remains to be seen if he can accomplish any conditioning though.
Bouncer likes this.
Old 08-09-16, 01:10 PM

Administrator
The Kevin Levrone Comeback: Reality or Fantasy?

by Mike Arnold - Aug 2016

Unlike the last six times Kevin said he was going to make a comeback, it quickly became apparent that something was very different this time around. Not only was Kevin back into muscle building mode, but there was a certain seriousness in his voice and overall demeanor that hinted at more than just attention seeking behavior. Still, a case could be made that Kevin was just back to his old tricks, attempting to stay relevant by announcing a comeback that would never happen and in the process, generating sales for his new supplement line. After all, it wouldn’t be the first-time that a retired bodybuilder had done something like this and it certainly wouldn’t be the last.

But everything started to change when on May 7th Kevin dropped the bomb by officially announcing his comeback at the NPC Pittsburgh Championships, in front of Jim Manion no less. By the time he had signed his contract the question had changed from “is Kevin serious?” to “will Kevin be able to pull it off?” At the time speculation ran rampant, and there was still a fairly large contingent of fans who continued to believe this was all just some sort of publicity stunt. Regardless of one’s beliefs, Kevin was now being taken seriously—maybe not from a competitive standpoint—but in terms of his plans to follow through on what he had been promising for the last 13 years.

Over the next few months we watched as Kevin, in typical Levrone style, continue to grow and get leaner at the same time, but was he growing fast enough? More importantly, at 52 years of age is his body able to respond the same way it did in years past? While the general consensus is that no one is immune to the ravages of aging, there has been considerable debate regarding the degree to which father time might hinder his comeback plans. With Levrone attempting something that has never been done before, even the most ardent Levrone supporters have to wonder if his superman genetics are enough to overcome this obstacle. This is a genuine concern and has even been expressed by Kevin himself. While being interviewed by Bob Cicherillo and Peter McGough, Kevin appeared to be unsure if his body was capable of doing what it did before. “Things change” he said, as the conversation rolled over into another subject.

Fast-forward a couple more months and we are now 8 weeks way from the biggest bodybuilding event of the year. Up to this point Kevin had been keeping his body covered up, but when no one was expecting it he allowed Muscular Development to photograph a back workout and then post up the pictures for the whole world to see. This generated more questions than it did answers. Anyone who has followed Kevin throughout his career is well aware of the fact that Kevin does things his own way. Known for growing into a show, Kevin would start training at 12-16 weeks out and make some of the most dramatic transformations ever witnessed in bodybuilding. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the details, allow me to fill you in. Unlike other professional bodybuilders, nearly all of whom live and breathe bodybuilding 365 days a year, Kevin would take nearly the entire year off the gym to pursue other interests. Then, with the Mr. Olympia fast-approaching he would routinely shock outside observers by entering the gym looking like someone who was training for the local Mr. Muscle, only to step on stage a mere 3-4 months later and give Ronnie Coleman a run for his money. These profound transformations were part of the Levrone mystique and helped define his career as one of the most enigmatic and genetically gifted bodybuilders of all-time.

So, when Muscular Development posted Kevin’s 8 week out pictures the response that followed wasn’t surprising. Here’s how I saw things. My initial impression was that Levrone was under-sized and needed a solid 20 more pounds of muscle—and maybe more—in order to be competitive with today’s athletes. As mentioned earlier, Kevin pulled off some pretty amazing transformations back in his prime, but when evaluating the bigger picture there are a few things that caused me to be skeptical regarding his chances of success—success in this instance being a top 6 finish. Aside from the fact that he is 52 years old and hasn’t competed in 13 years (which will certainly affect him to at least some degree), we haven’t seen any pictures of his legs—not once—since he started training for the show. Had Kevin’s legs remained a strong point until the end of his career in 2003, I probably wouldn’t be typing this right now, but that is not the case.

The reality is that Kevin’s legs reached their peak in the mid-1990’s and steadily went downhill from there, eventually turning into a mere shadow of what they once were by his retirement in 2003. This makes me wonder if his legs will be up to par on today’s Mr. Olympia stage, and while it is difficult to assess leg development through someone’s clothes, I have to admit that they didn’t look particularly big through his sweat pants. Kevin claims that his ability to build big legs never diminished and that the reason they deteriorated in the latter half of his career is because he just didn’t have the motivation to train them as hard as he use to. While this may be true, it seems awfully odd that he had the desire to continue making improvements to his upper-body, but allowed his legs to slide so much that they probably cost him the Mr. Olympia title in 2002 and maybe even in 2000. It’s one thing to lack motivation for a few months or maybe even longer, but when a bodypart goes backwards for 5-6 years it’s natural to think there may be more to the story. Furthermore, history has shown us that when a bodybuilder starts to age, his legs are usually the first thing to go—both in terms of size and separation. Regardless, the bottom line is that phenomenal genetics or not, no one can survive on today’s Olympia stage without a killer set of wheels. So, as someone who has been a huge Levrone fan since 1992, I really hope my suspicions are wrong.

Another thing that had me concerned was whether or not 8 weeks was enough time to gain back the size necessary to compete with today’s giants. Recently, Kevin has said that he has the potential to gain 2-3 pounds of muscle per week (assuming Father Time doesn’t have something to say about that), but with only 8 weeks left that means he would have to put on an average of 2.5 pounds of muscle per week, every week, even during the final 2-3 weeks of prep; a time when further muscle gain is notoriously difficult. Furthermore, he would have to do this while continuing to improve his condition. No doubt, this is a tall order to fill. Still, we’ve seen Kevin pull off the impossible before, so let’s hope he can do it again.

The other day I came across a piece of information that I found encouraging. I cannot verify the legitimacy of this information, but I read that Victor Martinez, after seeing what Kevin has planned for the final 8 weeks, thinks he has a chance to nab a top spot. Well, if Victor thinks that after seeing Levrone in person, it isn’t something that should be easily dismissed. One possibility is that Kevin has been taking it easy in the PED department and is just now getting ready to add in volumizing drugs. This alone could account for a quick 10 pounds of intramuscular water, causing his muscles to swell up like balloons within just a couple of weeks. Since this type of water is inside the muscles rather than under the skin, it is indistinguishable from real muscle fiber. For all intents and purposes it would appear as if he gained 10 pounds of real muscle. By taking this step (assuming he hasn’t done so already), it would significantly cut down on the amount of muscle fiber he has to gain in order to avoid looking under-sized. Another possibility is that he has been under-eating in order to shed body fat and is about to bump up his calories. In addition to an immediate increase in muscle fullness, this may also allow him to gain muscle at a more rapid rate than he was previously.

Of course, all of this is just speculation, but I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if a good portion of it is accurate. I have thought a good deal about Kevin’s comeback since MD posted those 8 week out pictures a few days ago and to be honest, my initial thoughts were that Kevin would show up ripped, but under-sized in comparison to his previous best. For the most part I still believe that, but I also think there is a good possibility he will come damn close to approaching one of his lighter, although still competitive bodyweights. The good news is that we won’t have to wait long because Kevin said he will soon show proof of his progress. Either way, his return makes for one of the most exciting Mr. Olympias in years.
dna9488 likes this.
Old 08-09-16, 01:21 PM

Founding Member
He's 52?!?!??!! :woot:
Old 08-09-16, 01:28 PM

Superior Admiral
I'm stuck at the fact he didn't train year around and took off months before training for previous Mr. O's. That's phenomenal genetics right there. This article brought up some good topics and at the end of it. It boils down to genetics and drug amounts
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-16, 01:43 PM

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by dna9488 View Post
I'm stuck at the fact he didn't train year around and took off months before training for previous Mr. O's. That's phenomenal genetics right there. This article brought up some good topics and at the end of it. It boils down to genetics and drug amounts
Actually the fact that he took off from the gym for those months every year was probably the key to his longevity. Allowed the joints, tendons, and ligaments to heal.
dna9488 and rado like this.
Old 08-09-16, 01:50 PM

Founding Member
Quote:
Actually the fact that he took off from the gym for those months every year was probably the key to his longevity. Allowed the joints, tendons, and ligaments to heal.
Sigh....I need to accept it and rest :(

Such a true no bs statement. Gotta rest and heal to continue to move forward
dna9488 likes this.
Old 08-09-16, 02:39 PM

Superior Admiral
Quote:
Agreed! Something that small prevents damage down the road.
Old 08-09-16, 04:47 PM

Founding Member
Here is the MD workout they are referring to from a couple weeks ago. Just posted yesterday.
https://youtu.be/y_qzfzMYXSg
dna9488 likes this.
Old 08-10-16, 02:42 AM

VEGETARIAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by rado View Post
Sigh....I need to accept it and rest :(

Such a true no bs statement. Gotta rest and heal to continue to move forward
Look at it this way, whatever your doing seems to have little effect. So if you stopped training all together nobody would know any different
Bouncer and dna9488 like this.
Old 08-20-16, 01:05 PM

Administrator
I'd be interesting in knowing if Levrone plans on running his drug cocktail from his prime or if he plans on incorporating the modern shit. We'll never know but would def be interesting to know.

Same thing with doses. Is he saying to himself "im older now so Im gonna need bigger doses" or is he keeping it all exactly the same as his prime years..
Old 08-20-16, 01:12 PM

Founding Member
Personally I don't see him making many changes. He knows what works and doesn't have time to experiment with new stuff. Old school baby. Perhaps he thinks the modern cocktails are what has caused the bloated modern look.
Bouncer likes this.
Old 08-21-16, 09:19 AM

Founding Member
Here is the Geard up podcast from Jan this year with Kevin. He details his exact compounds and dosages from previous Olympia's. GEARD Up – GEARD Up – Episode 119 – IFBB Pro & Hall Of Fame Member KEVIN LEVRONE
Bouncer and dna9488 like this.
Old 08-21-16, 03:34 PM

Administrator
Quote:
Here is the Geard up podcast from Jan this year with Kevin. He details his exact compounds and dosages from previous Olympia's. GEARD Up GEARD Up Episode 119 IFBB Pro & Hall Of Fame Member KEVIN LEVRONE
just bumping this so I remember to listen this afternoon.
Old 08-21-16, 08:33 PM

Administrator
Christ Chuck that podcast is almost 3 hours long. Where does he go over his drug dosage and compounds?
Old 08-21-16, 08:37 PM

Founding Member
Don't know. Was listening again but had to go to work. Interview starts at 41:00 ish.
Old 08-21-16, 08:55 PM

Administrator
You remember the dosages? Crazy shit or average?
Old 08-21-16, 08:58 PM

Founding Member
It's a good interview. Worth the listen. Diet training, good stories and such then Matt Porter comes in and starts asking questions.
dna9488 likes this.

Last edited by chuckz28; 08-21-16 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-21-16, 08:59 PM

Founding Member
Don't remember but it wasn't crazy. Just used like test deca anadrol and Winny v. Just listen to it while your cooking and shit.

Last edited by chuckz28; 08-21-16 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-21-16, 09:46 PM

Administrator
Quote:
Don't remember but it wasn't crazy. Just used like test deca anadrol and Winny v. Just listen to it while your cooking and shit.
I would leave the podcast running in the background but the volume difference between the interviewer and Kevin is huge. Have to turn it up to 1000000 to hear kevin and then the interviewer talks and blows my ears off. Lol
chuckz28 likes this.
Old 08-22-16, 01:29 PM

Administrator
New Pic.

Levrone 1997 vs 2016. Props. Really is impressive regardless of what happens at the Mr.O he's made some damn impressive changes the last few months. Respect.

Chadd77, chuckz28 and MattG like this.
Old 08-22-16, 04:17 PM

Founding Member
Hey B, 1:28 ish should get you in right before some drug talk. There were previous mentions of chemicals but nothing specific til around then. May be more after but haven't got there yet.
Bouncer likes this.
Old 08-22-16, 06:29 PM

Superior Admiral
Gear'd Up is an awesome podcast. My buddy/mentor David Johnston does a great job running it. I remember when they both had the idea of starting it.
Old 08-23-16, 12:56 AM

Administrator
Quote:
Hey B, 1:28 ish should get you in right before some drug talk. There were previous mentions of chemicals but nothing specific til around then. May be more after but haven't got there yet.
Cool will listen tomorrow.
Old 08-23-16, 02:29 PM

Administrator
I know it's a machine and I know he's not going all the way down but I cringe and the angle he's putting his shoulders in at his age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEgxa1kTgaU
chuckz28 likes this.
Old 08-23-16, 10:18 PM

Founding Member
Palumbo is sticking to his guns that Kevin will win the Olympia this year. https://youtu.be/h0P_yfIK74w

I will say he keeps growing and improving every week without missing a beat. Perhaps he can achieve his old former glory but will it be good enough? For the sake of bodybuilding I hope he does well. Looks like it is shaping up to be like everyone is going to be better this year, maybe except Phil.
Old 08-24-16, 01:25 PM

Administrator
Quote:
Palumbo is sticking to his guns that Kevin will win the Olympia this year. https://youtu.be/h0P_yfIK74w

I will say he keeps growing and improving every week without missing a beat. Perhaps he can achieve his old former glory but will it be good enough? For the sake of bodybuilding I hope he does well. Looks like it is shaping up to be like everyone is going to be better this year, maybe except Phil.
Palumbo is smart guy. I think he's making a claim for ratings. Like trump saying something to cause a stir and get people talking about him.

I don't believe palumbo actually believes levrone will win, i think he wants ratings.

levrone has made very respectable gains and changes. all the props in the world to him. but again, shots in a gym are a different thing than standing on a stage next to monsters in their prime.

if he is top 10 that will be a victory and be very respectable.

palumbo does not believe levrone can beat Dex. you know this, come on chuck.
chuckz28 likes this.
Old 08-24-16, 01:40 PM

Administrator
might have a point..

Quote:
He wants to prove that the big bloated physiques of today are not what people want to see. He wants to show that his look is more appealing to most people out there who are into fitness and bodybuilding. He isn't trying to win the show, but rather win the current generation over and prove that the tide can and will change in regards to what is awarded on a bodybuilding stage.. The physique and classic physique categories are the future of bodybuilding and kevin wants to be the champion and leader of that. i think he wants to also parlay the support into business and supplement lines, that appeal to a fitness crowd and not just bodybuilding.

Its clear to anyone who knows anything about competing that he is not expecting to win. He is trying to prove a point and to try and force a change.
dx3142 likes this.
Old 08-24-16, 05:07 PM

Founding Member
Quote:
Palumbo is smart guy. I think he's making a claim for ratings. Like trump saying something to cause a stir and get people talking about him.

I don't believe palumbo actually believes levrone will win, i think he wants ratings.

levrone has made very respectable gains and changes. all the props in the world to him. but again, shots in a gym are a different thing than standing on a stage next to monsters in their prime.

if he is top 10 that will be a victory and be very respectable.

palumbo does not believe levrone can beat Dex. you know this, come on chuck.
Didn't say I believe him. Just the messenger.
Old 08-25-16, 07:55 AM

VEGETARIAN
Wow so many doubters in here https://m.youtube.com/watch?sns=fb&v=h0P_yfIK74w
Old 08-30-16, 12:02 PM

Administrator
Prime Levrone VS Philip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltKNemymwBI
Old 08-30-16, 02:25 PM

VEGETARIAN
Silly tits dhome head would get beat lol
Bouncer likes this.
Old 09-01-16, 11:43 AM

Administrator
New levrone back pic, heath and Dex have nothing to worry about..

Looks great but not a Mr.O level back, not even close.

dna9488 likes this.
Old 09-01-16, 12:22 PM

Superior Admiral
Conditioning looks great, but yeah he's not anywhere close to Heath
Old 09-01-16, 12:35 PM

Superior Amateur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr I View Post
Beckles in an all time fav of mine!
Old 09-01-16, 02:04 PM

Founding Member
Sucks to say but that's not even a top 10 back. I wish him the best but finishing top 6 is a serious uphill battle when everyone is improving.
Old 09-01-16, 02:14 PM

Superior Amateur
This is extremely interesting. It is prob the only chance or opportunity we will have to truly compare bodybuilding across generations. I mean suppose this happens (which i suspect actually). Lets say Kevin gets better than he has ever been. Then he steps on stage with this generation of Pro BB'er. I think then we can really see how much the sport has progressed (or regressed depending on your opinion). I feel like Levrone is going to look fantastic, compared to himself in his younger years and compared to everyone that was at the top back then. Meaning if he could compete then as he will look now i think he would have cleaned up. However when he steps up side by side with the likes of Phil and Dexter and I just have a feeling he is going to be dwarfed man. He just cannot possibly add the mass required for these guys not to blow him away. I hate to say it, I want him to win, but I just dont think he can.
Chadd77 likes this.
Old 09-01-16, 02:18 PM

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanG View Post
This is extremely interesting. It is prob the only chance or opportunity we will have to truly compare bodybuilding across generations. I mean suppose this happens (which i suspect actually). Lets say Kevin gets better than he has ever been. Then he steps on stage with this generation of Pro BB'er. I think then we can really see how much the sport has progressed (or regressed depending on your opinion). I feel like Levrone is going to look fantastic, compared to himself in his younger years and compared to everyone that was at the top back then. Meaning if he could compete then as he will look now i think he would have cleaned up. However when he steps up side by side with the likes of Phil and Dexter and I just have a feeling he is going to be dwarfed man. He just cannot possibly add the mass required for these guys not to blow him away. I hate to say it, I want him to win, but I just dont think he can.
i don't think it's going to be a fair comparison because I don't think kevin will be anywhere near his best.
Old 09-01-16, 10:37 PM

Superior Pro
It's possible for him to get top 10. Jay Cutler looked like shit at the 2013 Olympia and still got 6th place. And with the absence of Dennis Wolf and Kai Greene makes it even more likely for a top 10 finish.
Old 09-01-16, 11:18 PM

Superior Admiral
Picture was taken earlier today at Exile Fitness. He's claiming to be 251lbs. I honestly call bullshit, and say maybe a 235lbs at most

chuckz28 likes this.
Old 09-02-16, 09:15 AM

Superior Amateur
Quote:
i don't think it's going to be a fair comparison because I don't think kevin will be anywhere near his best.
See now I think he will be in his personal best top form. I know it sounds crazy but I really feel he can return to at least equal too his former best.

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0