SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Discussion Section > General Chat
Reload this Page Gun Thread

General Chat Off-Topic Discussion

Like Tree139Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-17, 02:41 PM
Gun Thread

Administrator
So I've never been a "gun guy" and I still think it should be harder for criminals to get guns.

With that said I've decided to get a handgun just for basic home defense and range shooting. I'm going to be taking my girl to the range as well just so she knows how to use it instead of being afraid of it.

I've decided to go with the Springfield Armory XD9 Tactical 9mm. Went and looked at it yesterday and got my California firearms safety card. Will post pics when I get it.

XD 9MM Tactical Model | Top Competition Shooting Pistols

Post up some pics of what you guys have. I know some of you have about 75 guns. lol.
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 02:55 PM

Administrator
For anyone that is anti-gun even for home defense, this is the argument that swayed me.

Lets say you are at home with your family and someone breaks into your house and they have a gun. You can call the police but the police may take 5-10 minutes to get there depending on where you live. In that period of time before the police get there what will you do if the intruder with a gun gets into your house? You will not be able to defend your family no matter how strong you are.

No matter how anti-gun you are, in that moment in time when an intruder is in your house with a gun pointed at your family.. if time could be frozen and you could be offered a gun in that moment to defend yourself and your family, I can guarantee you would take the gun no matter how anti-gun you think you are.
Old 10-11-17, 02:58 PM

Founding Member
I have a bunch but my 2 favorite handguns are:

Kimber TLE II 1911

And my every day carry, Sig Sauer P226 Legion
Pushtoday likes this.
Old 10-11-17, 03:33 PM

Administrator
I like the magazine better on the Kimber. Looks cool.

You got any long guns?
Old 10-11-17, 03:51 PM

Superior Admiral
Bout time you came to the Dark side bitch!
Took me longer to sell you on guns then you selling me on gear.
Bouncer, Chadd77, chuckz28 and 1 others like this.
Old 10-11-17, 04:13 PM

Administrator
So you finally admit that owning a gun is "the darkside". This was all a ploy to get you to admit that gun owners are bad people!
Turbo3000 likes this.
Old 10-11-17, 05:46 PM

Administrator
what surprised me was how cheap you can get an AR.

they had a Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 for $400 bucks. not being a gun person I assumed a gun like that was like $2 grand or some shit.
Old 10-11-17, 06:46 PM

Administrator
me in a few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19IhGt5HLhI
Old 10-11-17, 09:39 PM

Founding Member
Good shit bro. You'll enjoy it. Feels good to just go to the range and fire a box of ammo or two. It can be an expensive hobby though. You'll see the guns are cheap compared to the ammo and range costs. I'll have to get some pics to share here when I get back to Cincinnati this weekend and get some time.
lipripper likes this.
Old 10-11-17, 09:49 PM

Administrator
What's the average range cost?
Old 10-11-17, 09:52 PM

Founding Member
Well depends if the range makes you shoot their ammo. Usually about 10-15$ for a half hour for the range time, but if they make you purchase their ammo you can guarantee they will upcharge it. Best bet is to make friends with someone who had land you can shoot on. Free.
Old 10-11-17, 10:18 PM

Administrator
hold the fuck up. your saying i cant take my own ammo to the range?
Old 10-11-17, 10:24 PM

Founding Member
Depends on the range. Most ranges you can. But depending how much you want to shoot you'll spend way more in ammo. I burn $100 an hour between ammo and range time. Can't sustain that for long unless you got the cash.

You can get it and only shoot once a year if you want though. You got this as more of an insurance policy than a toy I assume right?

Last edited by chuckz28; 10-11-17 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-11-17, 10:29 PM

Administrator
Just called my local range. I can bring my own ammo. Which is good cause ripper linked me to a site that sells 9mm Winchester 500 rounds for $99. My local gun shop carries the same ammo for like 3 times that price.
chuckz28 likes this.
Old 10-11-17, 10:32 PM

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckz28 View Post
Depends on the range. Most ranges you can. But depending how much you want to shoot you'll spend way more in ammo. I burn $100 an hour between ammo and range time. Can't sustain that for long unless you got the cash.

You can get it and only shoot once a year if you want though. You got this as more of an insurance policy than a toy I assume right?
I got it for home defense but also to take to the range and learn for myself how to shoot and also teach my girl. I plan on going once a month or so. She probably won't come that often but I want her to know enough to be able to use it safely and not fear it.
Old 10-11-17, 10:43 PM

Administrator
In case anyone is looking for a good price on quality brass case 9mm ammo. Thanks rip.

500 rounds for $99

https://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-124-...ter-500-rounds
Old 10-11-17, 10:58 PM

Founding Member
That's a good deal! I do need some 9mm.
Old 10-11-17, 11:06 PM

Administrator
rip told me not to buy the cheap steel case ammo so i wont but what is the reason for it? why is brass better for the gun?
Old 10-11-17, 11:13 PM

Founding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
what surprised me was how cheap you can get an AR.

they had a Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 for $400 bucks. not being a gun person I assumed a gun like that was like $2 grand or some shit.
ARs aren't expensive for low/mid range. The 10-22 is a 22 caliber. It should be cheap. It is for plinking around and shooting cheap ammo.
Old 10-11-17, 11:15 PM

Founding Member
Quote:
rip told me not to buy the cheap steel case ammo so i wont but what is the reason for it? why is brass better for the gun?
A lot of indoor ranges prohibit steel cases, just avoid the hassle. They don't want to separate that gross steel from the brass. Your casing is money in their pocket.
Old 10-11-17, 11:17 PM

Founding Member
Steel cases will wear out your extractor also tend to cause malfunctions. Plus they tend to shoot dirty requiring a lot more cleaning. Steel cases are ok every once in a while for cheap shooting but don't make a habit out of it
Bouncer and lipripper like this.
Old 10-11-17, 11:19 PM

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo3000 View Post
A lot of indoor ranges prohibit steel cases, just avoid the hassle. They don't want to separate that gross steel from the brass. Your casing is money in their pocket.
Yes but doesn't the brass work better or keep the gun in better condition or something?

All the ranges out here are outdoor. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Old 10-11-17, 11:20 PM

Administrator
Quote:
Steel cases will wear out your extractor also tend to cause malfunctions. Plus they tend to shoot dirty requiring a lot more cleaning. Steel cases are ok every once in a while for cheap shooting but don't make a habit out of it
Cool. I won't ever make a habit of it. Brass only.
lipripper likes this.
Old 10-12-17, 04:58 AM

Superior Admiral
Like I said B..It's OK to buy a bulk order of steel just to have it on hand..Is..War stock....Lol most steel cased ammo uses shit gun powder and it will dirty the hell out of the gun but most importantly as chuck said it wears on parts.

Save your brass...Ask around range you'll find someone who reloads...You may be able to work a deal.....Or....You could take it to the next level...Get a reloader....

See....It's just like you telling me I need deca...Not just the low dose test. you'll be a full blown gun junkie in no time
Bouncer, chuckz28 and rado like this.
Old 10-12-17, 05:55 AM

Superior Newbie
Look at this one bro - https://silencerco.com/maxim/ this the best gun ever!
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 07:36 AM

Founding Member
I know a lot of guys that shoot Winchester rounds with no problems but that was the only ammo that ever jammed my Glock. It was when I first bought it so it was still in the "break in" period but unusual for Glock's to ever jam. I sent it back to them and they were unable to find an issue with it. I switched ammo brands and never had the problem after that.

My local Walmart sells Federal 100 rounds (brass) for around $18. I've never had issues with it and seems to be less dirty than most target rounds. Great price too.
Old 10-12-17, 11:21 AM

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd77 View Post
I know a lot of guys that shoot Winchester rounds with no problems but that was the only ammo that ever jammed my Glock. It was when I first bought it so it was still in the "break in" period but unusual for Glock's to ever jam. I sent it back to them and they were unable to find an issue with it. I switched ammo brands and never had the problem after that.

My local Walmart sells Federal 100 rounds (brass) for around $18. I've never had issues with it and seems to be less dirty than most target rounds. Great price too.
I been watching this guy hickok45 on YouTube. Has like 10,000 testing and reviews of all kinds of guns. I've seen him have a few jams with all kinds of different guns and he's sponsored by Federal so he obviously only uses federal rounds. I think it's just something that happens occasionally especially with a brand new gun.

Check out his videos if you get a chance, he's a badass old dude.
Old 10-12-17, 11:39 AM

Superior Admiral
Any brand of ammo and gun is gonna have a bad round/ misfeed here or there..shit happens. You will find thru trial and error if you shoot a lot that each particular gun you own normally likes a certain ammo better..more accurate, etc. they are all different. Weapons and ammo..to each person its the Ford, Chevy debate. Find one your comfortable with( gun/ ammo, and roll with it!
Old 10-12-17, 12:31 PM

Administrator
LOL @ California

Old 10-12-17, 12:36 PM

Founding Member
Yep, I agree with everything you guys said. Know a lot of guys that shoot Winchester. But I can pick up the Federal at my local Walmart and don't pay shipping ether. They are slightly cheaper per round too. But that means I have to go to Walmart.
Old 10-12-17, 12:45 PM

Administrator
Quote:
Yep, I agree with everything you guys said. Know a lot of guys that shoot Winchester. But I can pick up the Federal at my local Walmart and don't pay shipping ether. They are slightly cheaper per round too. But that means I have to go to Walmart.
you gotta pay taxes though. whats the tax cost for 500 rounds worth of ammo? $10 bucks? I didn't have to pay taxes from that site. so its really not that much cheaper. plus the winchester rounds are nicer. imma expert trust me.
Old 10-12-17, 01:15 PM

Founding Member
Quote:
you gotta pay taxes though. whats the tax cost for 500 rounds worth of ammo? $10 bucks? I didn't have to pay taxes from that site. so its really not that much cheaper. plus the winchester rounds are nicer. imma expert trust me.
That's really not a great deal on ammo. It's ok. But I can buy 600 rounds for the same price you're paying for 500! I'm pretty sure the Winchester price is the same as the Federal at Walmart too.
Old 10-12-17, 01:27 PM

Administrator
Fuck outta my thread.

I got my shooting glasses and my ear plugs. I'll basically be a competition shooter day 1 at the range I'm guessing...

Now I gotta get a bore snake, some lube, and a brush.

I'm probably going to the range with military camo paint all over my face. I don't play games.
Old 10-12-17, 01:44 PM

Founding Member
Wish I could see B shooting for the first time. lol

Old 10-12-17, 01:59 PM

Administrator
lol.

i got some Break Free CLP cleaner/lubricant. they say its an "all in one" but do i need a separate cleaner and lube or is that break free clp all in one good enough?
Old 10-12-17, 02:08 PM

Founding Member
I use CLP on all my guns. You don't need anything else unless your manufacture specifies. My Sig requires TW25B grease in certain areas but everything else I own only gets the CLP.
Bouncer likes this.
Old 10-12-17, 02:10 PM

Founding Member
Quote:
lol.

i got some Break Free CLP cleaner/lubricant. they say its an "all in one" but do i need a separate cleaner and lube or is that break free clp all in one good enough?

Should be fine, but you will most likely discover your own product/method after cleaning it a few times. I use ballistol and hoppes.
Bouncer likes this.
Old 10-12-17, 02:12 PM

Administrator
Cool thanks guys. I'll be asking more noob questions I'm sure.

Post more pics of your guns btw. What you got turbo?
Old 10-12-17, 04:20 PM

Superior Admiral
CLP is good bro...That's what we always used in the Army on all our weapons from 9 mm pistol to 25 mm cannon!
Bouncer likes this.
Old 10-12-17, 05:24 PM

Administrator
Just a question out of curiosity of how it works. Let's say down the road I want to upgrade to a different gun. Do gun shops take trade-ins? I know I could probably get more for it from a private sale but that's a pain in the ass and I'd rather just be able walk in to the gun shop and trade it in right there on the spot for something new.
Old 10-12-17, 05:29 PM

Superior Admiral
Some will some won't just gotta ask
Old 10-12-17, 09:32 PM

Founding Member
Doesn't California have a "cooling off" period or some shit. How long do they make you wait to pick up a handgun after purchasing it?
Old 10-13-17, 01:24 AM

Administrator
Quote:
Doesn't California have a "cooling off" period or some shit. How long do they make you wait to pick up a handgun after purchasing it?
10 days
Old 10-13-17, 04:48 AM

Superior Admiral
Quote:
10 days
Chadd77 likes this.
Old 10-13-17, 07:48 AM

Founding Member
Have a couple rifles and shotguns but this is my favorite. When my grandfather passed away he had a collection of guns and had in his will he wanted them to be sold at auction and proceeds go to my grandmother. This was always my favorite one he owned. I didn't care how much it went for I knew it was mine. It's a Loomis IXL 10 gauge double barrel shotgun. It's hard to find a lot of info on them but it was most likely made in the late 1800's. It's a beautiful gun and the pictures don't do it justice.

chuckz28, TrapsBrah and ChiHuaHua like this.
Old 10-13-17, 08:32 AM

Superior Pro
How's this for u chadd.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20171012-172542.jpg (308.6 KB, 8 views)
Chadd77 likes this.
Old 10-13-17, 08:37 AM

Superior Admiral
Quote:
Have a couple rifles and shotguns but this is my favorite. When my grandfather passed away he had a collection of guns and had in his will he wanted them to be sold at auction and proceeds go to my grandmother. This was always my favorite one he owned. I didn't care how much it went for I knew it was mine. It's a Loomis IXL 10 gauge double barrel shotgun. It's hard to find a lot of info on them but it was most likely made in the late 1800's. It's a beautiful gun and the pictures don't do it justice.

love it bro! old school Black powder..NICE!!!
Chadd77 likes this.
Old 10-13-17, 08:38 AM

Superior Admiral
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapsBrah View Post
How's this for u chadd.
You put a few pennies into that... Pretty...

But..can ya hit anything with it?
TrapsBrah likes this.
Old 10-13-17, 09:10 AM

Founding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipripper View Post
You put a few pennies into that... Pretty...

But..can ya hit anything with it?
I bet he shoots it twice a year and can't hit jack! lol

You really do need to practice your ass off to become a good and consistent shot. I try to go out about every other week and shoot about 100 rounds. But I can walk into my back yard to shoot. It's finding the time with a busy schedule. With all the guns I own I usually shoot my every day carry 90% of the time. It's easy to clean too unlike my Kimber.

And B, don't ever trade a gun. Keep it and buy another one! If you want save a couple bucks look at something lightly used on armslist. It's like craigslist but for guns. I've bought a few like that and was able to save hundreds of dollars.
lipripper likes this.
Old 10-13-17, 09:13 AM

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipripper View Post
Yea I here ya but like we talked about the other day I kind of get it. You get a scenario where some guy who is already a bit unstable but has no criminal record finds out his girl is cheating on him or his mother died, or something that just happens to push the guy over the edge on a specific day. He decides he's gonna go buy a gun and kill his girl and kill himself. If he has the ability to buy a gun on day 1 when he is still in a rage or in shock over the loss of his mother etc.. he may be more likely to do something crazy with that weapon. By forcing that guy to wait 10 days you may just give him enough time to rethink his actions and possibly prevent a murder or suicide. Is it full proof and will it prevent an issue every single time? Absolutely not. But I do think it's a good idea to have that rule in place.

I am totally against any sort of gun bans. I think all guns should be legal in every state. If I want to buy an M60 I think I should be able to.

BUT. I do think certain rules and restrictions like the 10 day "cool off" period is a good idea. I also think if you want to buy something like an M60 you should have to go through a strict evaluation of mental health. I know that probably sounds gay as fuck to you but I think it would help in those rare situations like the vegas shooter. I know he didn't have an M60 but the amount of firepower he bought in the last year or 2 should have set off some kind of red flag. I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to buy as much as you want, just that there should be a certain point where you have to get some kind of mental evaluation. I really think that could have possibly prevented the vegas incident.

Again, I think ALL guns including full auto should be legal. I think suppressors, high capacity magazines, hell even incendiary rounds should be legal. But I think if you want some of these things very strict rules should be in place. Some kind of unbiased mental evaluation with a set of rules where a therapist can't simply say no because they don't like guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapsBrah View Post
How's this for u chadd.
i see a lot of customization on a brand of gun known for reliability. while it looks cool i think you are making the gun more likely to misfire etc.. IMO it's like buying a Mercedes and then changing a bunch of parts on it. The parts most likely to fail are those customizations. The Austrians made that gun to a much higher set of standards then the customization parts that have been put on it. just my opinion but I'm obviously no expert. maybe guns are different when it comes to customization. just my gut tells me that the Austrians that built that glock made that shit to an incredibly high set of standards, i wouldn't want to potentially fuck that up.

chadd I think I saw that old dude hickok45 on youtube testing and shooting that old gun. that guys videos are fucken great. very relaxing somehow. part gun review, part shooting range video. good shit.

lets see some more guns pics guys, rip, turbo?

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0