SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Discussion Section > General Chat
Reload this Page 10 Factors That Can Affect Blood Pressure Readings

General Chat Off-Topic Discussion

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By redback
  • 2 Post By Bouncer
  • 1 Post By boricuarage79
  • 1 Post By Bouncer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-18, 02:23 AM
10 Factors That Can Affect Blood Pressure Readings

Founding Member
So I bought one of those BP monitors. I have had some very different readings throughout the day ranging from 126/77 - 157/something.

The higher reading was actually after my afternoon nanna nap. This led Redback to ask some questions...so I set out to do some investigationing.

I read through almost 50 medical journals to bring you this information. You won't find this any where else on the net. This is exclusive to Superiormuscle.

10 Factors That Can Affect Blood Pressure Readings

1. Blood pressure cuff is too small or too big.
It is very important to use the correct size of blood pressure measurement cuff on the upper arm as a lot of errors in reading can occur due to incorrect cuff. Studies have shown that using a too small blood pressure measurement cuff may cause patientís systolic blood pressure measurement to increase. And too large a cuff may cause a lower than actual blood pressure measurement.

2. Placing the blood pressure cuff over clothing
When having your blood pressure measured, the cuff should always be placed directly on your bare arm. Some studies have shown that clothing beneath the cuff can affect the blood pressure reading.

3. Resting 3-5 minutes prior measurement.
To obtain an accurate blood pressure measurement, it is important that you relax and rest in a comfortable chair for 3 to 5 minutes before a reading is taken. Any activities such as exercise or eating can affect your blood pressure measurement.

4. Arm Unsupported.
Accurate readings are taken when you are seated comfortably in a chair with foot on the floor, uncrossed. The arm should rest at the level of the heart.

5. Emotional State.
Stress or anxiety can cause large increases in blood pressure. If you are having your blood pressure taken while thinking about something that makes you tense or stressed, your blood pressure levels could increase.

6. Talking.
If you are talking to someone while having your blood pressure taken, your systolic blood pressure measurement may increase.

7. Smoking.
Tobacco products (cigarettes, cigars, smokeless tobacco) contain nicotine which will temporarily increase your blood pressure. It is good at least 30 minutes prior to measurement not to smoke.

8. Alcohol/Caffeine.
The consumption of alcohol and caffeine (sodas, coffee, tea, etc) can increase the levels of blood pressure so stay away from them at least 30 minutes before having a blood pressure measurement taken.

9. Temperature.
Blood pressure tends to increase when you are cold. Pay attention to the temperature of the room in which you are while your blood pressure measurement is taken.

10. Full bladder.
Your blood pressure is lower when your bladder is empty. As your bladder gradually fills, your blood pressure increases too.

11. Being extremely good looking.
The more handsome you are, the more likely you are to have fluctuations throughout the day.

As you see from the list above, even small changes can affect the blood pressure readings. That is why it is important when you measure your blood pressure at home to take these into consideration, so when you consult with your doctor he can give you correct diagnosis.
AvidFisherman likes this.
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-18, 09:10 AM

Administrator
other day i had my BP taken. first reading was 160 something. i told the guy everytime i come to the doctor i get a little anxiety and I can feel my heart rate increase etc.. so he took it again 2 minutes after i got my first bp reading. this time though he told me to take a few big breaths and try to just relax and sort of slump down into the chair instead of sitting stiff and upright. guess what, my bp from the second reading taken only 2 minutes later was 140 something. in 2 fucken minutes it dropped 20 points. i feel like we need a better way of understanding or measuring BP because it's insane how volatile BP can be. if it can up or down 20 points based on a few breaths and how i sit in a 2 minute period how accurate can those readings really be?
redback and AvidFisherman like this.
Old 07-15-18, 03:12 PM

Superior Admiral
Two stupid mutherfuckers talking about blood pressure.

Red. You are a hypochondriac lil bitch

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Bouncer likes this.
Old 07-15-18, 03:15 PM

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuarage79 View Post
Two stupid mutherfuckers talking about blood pressure.

Red. You are a hypochondriac lil bitch

When you join a gym and get above 150lbs your bp will increase past that of a ballerina.

Sent from my Moto G6 using Tapatalk
redback likes this.
Old 07-17-18, 03:20 AM

Superior Admiral
https://youtu.be/D-qy6R0Mk40

Stan Efferding -blood pressure talk

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0