SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Fitness Section > Health
Reload this Page John Urschel retires from NFL age 26 because of CTE Study

Health General Health Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-17, 11:53 PM
John Urschel retires from NFL age 26 because of CTE Study

Administrator
John Urschel, a Baltimore Ravens’ offensive lineman and PhD candidate in applied mathematics at MIT, has announced his retirement from football at the age of 26. The announcement comes just days after publication of a case study that found widespread signs of a degenerative brain disease among football players who donated their brains to research.

"This morning John Urschel informed me of his decision to retire from football," Ravens’ coach John Harbaugh said in a statement. "We respect John and respect his decision. We appreciate his efforts over the past three years and wish him all the best in his future endeavors."

Urschel played with the Ravens for three seasons and was competing for the starting center job. Thus far, he has not publicly discussed his reasoning for the early and abrupt retirement, which was announced just before the first full-team practice. However, a team source told ESPN that his decision was linked to the new brain study.

The study, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, found widespread signs of the degenerative brain disease Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) among the donated brains of 202 former football players. In particular, 99 percent—110 of 111—of brains from former National Football League players had signs of the disease, and many had severe cases. CTE is diagnosed by postmortem examination of brain tissue, but it manifests in life as explosive aggression, progressive memory problems, depression, and dementia.

CTE is thought to be caused by repeated concussive and sub-concussive blows to the head. Its prevalence among football players and disease progression are not yet known, however.

ESPN notes that in January, Urschel told HBO's Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel that his passion for playing football outweighed his concern for head trauma or developing CTE. That’s despite an August 2015 concussion during play that knocked him unconscious and out of the game for a short period.

"I think it hurt my ability to think well mathematically," Urschel said. "It took me about three weeks before I was football-ready. It took me a little bit longer before my high-level visualizations ability came back."

At MIT, he’s already working on nine mathematics research papers published or in process. The Washington Post notes that Urschel's specialties include discrete Schrödinger operators, high dimensional data compression, algebraic multigrid, and Voronoi diagrams. Post retirement, Urschel plans to continue pursuing his doctorate and math career.

Urschel is yet another young football player to bow out of the game early, ESPN notes, suggesting a possible trend in light of concern for long-term health. The Post notes that on Tuesday, New England Patriots’ wide receiver Andrew Hawkins decided to end his career at 31. He also pledged to donate his brain to CTE research.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...ootball-at-26/
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 08:08 AM

Superior Admiral
Yup been on the news here since yesterday. Smart guy and he's probably saving himself and allowing longevity of his life by not getting hurt and not getting concussions
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 09:56 AM

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by dna9488 View Post
Yup been on the news here since yesterday. Smart guy and he's probably saving himself and allowing longevity of his life by not getting hurt and not getting concussions
I think that's the issue. He actually is a very smart guy. He has other options. From the sound of things he's very likely genius level IQ.

Issue with most NFL players is they are dumb as dirt, they either make millions in the NFL or they quit and make minimum wage at McDonald's. When you look at it like that you can see why most guys stay in the NFL.
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 10:03 AM

Superior Admiral
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
I think that's the issue. He actually is a very smart guy. He has other options. From the sound of things he's very likely genius level IQ.

Issue with most NFL players is they are dumb as dirt, they either make millions in the NFL or they quit and make minimum wage at McDonald's. When you look at it like that you can see why most guys stay in the NFL.

Spot on man. That's basically it. They make tons of money at a young age and blow it faster than we can blink and they have no choice but to keep on playing to support their lavish spending habits.

The smart ones get out early and invest their money.

Majority of them take courses towards some BS degree and get picked up by the NFL before they graduate.
is Offline   Reply With Quote

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0