SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Fitness Section > Health
Reload this Page New Blood Pressure Criteria

Health General Health Discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Scrumhalf
  • 1 Post By jack tors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-17, 02:22 PM
New Blood Pressure Criteria

Administrator
130/80 is now considered hypertension.

https://www.aol.com/article/lifestyl...3080/23276589/
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 02:23 PM

Administrator
Big Lenny is 190 something. Lol
Old 11-14-17, 04:07 PM

Founding Member
I think that's a nice assessment. This way any issues pertaining to ones health, could be caught earlier on.
Old 11-14-17, 05:41 PM

Superior Freak
You beat me to.it you fuck!... I was going to post this

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-17, 05:42 PM

Superior Freak
I don't agree with this criteria... during the day and during and after workouts your blood pressure is slightly elevated...

It's the second number you should worry about the most

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-17, 09:55 PM

It's about time. 140/90 was too high of a threshold.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
rado likes this.
Old 11-15-17, 11:35 AM

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf View Post
It's about time. 140/90 was too high of a threshold.

what about big athletes though. football players, rugby players, strength athletes etc.. is 120/80 really something that any of these guys can really maintain? i'm not talking about PED users, i just mean being big and strong and lifting heavy weight, eating lots of calories to maintain that size, hitting people hard on the field. i can't imagine those guys can have a normal blood pressure or even a normal heart. these guys hearts have to be stronger and higher pressured compared to a 120lb girl who sits at a desk all day.

dont you have to consider the extreme difference in people? its kind of like the whole body mass index thing. i'm considered obese because I am so outside the norm that i dont fit into their medical categories.
Old 11-15-17, 12:15 PM

Founding Member
Only way my blood pressure is ever below 120/80 is if I'm laying down for a while, it'll read 113/72 and for me that is so low that when I stand up I have to hold something because I nearly pass out.

It's funny that they didn't change their guidelines for needing immediate medical attention for pressure over 180/120. If they want to move the whole thing down 20 points then why didn't they move the emergency state down 20 as well?

Also, as far as I know the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute still has not changed their guidelines.
Old 11-15-17, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
what about big athletes though. football players, rugby players, strength athletes etc.. is 120/80 really something that any of these guys can really maintain? i'm not talking about PED users, i just mean being big and strong and lifting heavy weight, eating lots of calories to maintain that size, hitting people hard on the field. i can't imagine those guys can have a normal blood pressure or even a normal heart. these guys hearts have to be stronger and higher pressured compared to a 120lb girl who sits at a desk all day.

dont you have to consider the extreme difference in people? its kind of like the whole body mass index thing. i'm considered obese because I am so outside the norm that i dont fit into their medical categories.
We are talking resting blood pressure. Of course BP will go up during strenuous activity. But it should return to a baseline. The baseline level, say when you get out of bed in the morning, is what we are talking about.

Old 11-15-17, 03:09 PM

Founding Member
Quote:
We are talking resting blood pressure. Of course BP will go up during strenuous activity. But it should return to a baseline. The baseline level, say when you get out of bed in the morning, is what we are talking about.

Correct
Old 11-15-17, 08:02 PM

Administrator
Quote:

Yea but you can't tell me what's normal for a 120lb female is normal for a 265lb male. There is a whole lot more total body mass the heart has to pump blood through regardless of if it's at rest or not.

Am I totally wrong in my thinking?

Every single time I go to the doc and they take my BP it's 140 over something. I say "that's higher than average right". They always say "it's pretty normal for someone your size I wouldn't worry about it" or something to that effect. They said it to me at the hospital and they've said it to me at doctors appointments etc... I'm not talking about 1 doctor. I'm talking about 4-5 doctors at different times and different places. None of them are concerned at all. This is why I bring it up.
Old 11-15-17, 10:55 PM

Normal blood pressure is the same for all adults till about 60-65 years, independent of height. It increases a bit for seniors.

Old 11-15-17, 11:42 PM

Administrator
Quote:
Normal blood pressure is the same for all adults till about 60-65 years, independent of height. It increases a bit for seniors.

so why have so many doctors made the statement to me that "it's normal for your size" or something similar? i'm not arguing i'm just curious. this was not a single turd doctor. i'm talking multiple docs, nurses, even the docs that took care of me at the hospital. i go out of my way to always ask if my blood pressure is normal because i always see 120/80 as the benchmark and mine is always higher. not only do they not show any concern but they tell me its normal for me. i'm not making shit up here scrum.
Old 11-16-17, 01:57 AM

Not sure, maybe you want to talk to your doctor about it. I've looked at this and I've never found any official difference in the hypertension threshold (which used to be 140/90 before they just changed it) based on height, weight, sex, etc. The only thing is that BP tends to increase for kids until they reach adulthood, and then it increases again after you are 65-ish, so what's considered ok for a 70 yo person is a higher number than for say a 30 yo.
Old 11-16-17, 10:33 AM

Superior Freak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
so why have so many doctors made the statement to me that "it's normal for your size" or something similar? i'm not arguing i'm just curious. this was not a single turd doctor. i'm talking multiple docs, nurses, even the docs that took care of me at the hospital. i go out of my way to always ask if my blood pressure is normal because i always see 120/80 as the benchmark and mine is always higher. not only do they not show any concern but they tell me its normal for me. i'm not making shit up here scrum.
same here
Bouncer likes this.
Old 11-16-17, 12:40 PM

Administrator
Quote:
Not sure, maybe you want to talk to your doctor about it.
Scrum, you are a smart guy, anyone that says otherwise needs a smack in the mouth.

BUT

I tell you I've talked to multiple doctors and nurses about it. That's the whole point of my posts in this thread. Your response is "talk to your doctor". lol. That may very well be the dumbest response you've ever made. I love ya brother but jesus.
Old 11-16-17, 01:15 PM

I'm asking you to ask your doctor why their recommendations conflict with the general recommendation which does not depend on height, sex, etc. And why does the official recommendation not depend on height, for example, or male vs female.

You're just looking for an argument instead of trying to understand what I am saying.

Old 11-16-17, 01:24 PM

Administrator
Quote:
I'm asking you to ask your doctor why their recommendations conflict with the general recommendation which does not depend on height, sex, etc. And why does the official recommendation not depend on height, for example, or male vs female.

You're just looking for an argument instead of trying to understand what I am saying.

no i'm not looking for an argument bro. i'm just telling you what the docs say and it conflicts with what you are saying.

they don't necessarily talk about height or sex. they always mention my size in terms of mass/weight. apparently i'm not the only one as it looks like the same thing has been said to jack.

i just wonder if your looking at the data for "normal" people whereas doctors seem to understand that people with an abnormal amount of muscle mass compared to the "normal" person is not going to have the same blood pressure.

it makes sense to me. i just can't picture a man who weighs double that of a woman yet they are both supposed to have the exact same blood pressure? with double the amount of mass that's a whole lot more tissue and blood the heart has to pump throughout a much bigger body.
Old 11-16-17, 01:32 PM

I have done a lot of searching and nowhere have I found any mention of the hypertension threshold as a function of height, weight, sex, etc. In fact, I recall a published article that said that it was NOT found to be a function of those things. The question is why. Why is the threshold the same for a 7 foot man vs. a 5 foot woman? I suspect that the pressure is measured at the extremities of the body, so the pressure on a cuff around your arm should be the same regardless of how tall or short you are. There's no reason why your blood pressure measured at the arm or wrist should be different from mine, or for a petite woman.
Old 11-16-17, 01:50 PM

Administrator
Quote:
I have done a lot of searching and nowhere have I found any mention of the hypertension threshold as a function of height, weight, sex, etc. In fact, I recall a published article that said that it was NOT found to be a function of those things. The question is why. Why is the threshold the same for a 7 foot man vs. a 5 foot woman? I suspect that the pressure is measured at the extremities of the body, so the pressure on a cuff around your arm should be the same regardless of how tall or short you are. There's no reason why your blood pressure measured at the arm or wrist should be different from mine, or for a petite woman.
yea i believe what your saying. i just wonder if there is enough data on people who would not be considered "normal" in terms of muscle mass. maybe muscle specifically changes things somehow? maybe it's not just weight but something specific to muscle.

next time you talk to a doc ask them and see if they say what I'm telling you. it's just odd because the docs never skip a beat. they all immediately say "nah i wouldn't worry about it, pretty normal for your size". there is never even a slight worry or pause from them.

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0