SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Fitness Section > Nutrition
Reload this Page gut bacteria

Nutrition Dieting & Nutrition Discussion

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By AvidFisherman
  • 1 Post By Bouncer
  • 1 Post By FitnessBrat
  • 1 Post By Bouncer
  • 1 Post By Bouncer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-15, 04:43 PM
gut bacteria

Superior Pro
I just had a crazy series of thoughts... I read articles about obese mice and skinny mice, how scientists transfer gut bacteria from one mouse to the other to other to make them skinny or fat. I also remember reading articles that read, that if you eat unhealthy food, the bacteria that likes that type of food propagate in your gut and releases chemicals to make you crave the unhealthy foods. The same with healthy food, the if you eat a lot of healthy food the bacteria in your gut that thrives on the healthy food flourishes and makes chemicals that signal you to eat more of the healthy food.

All of you probably know what I just wrote but this is where my crazy thinking comes in. I am on antibiotics right now and these antibiotics have a tendency to kill the microbes in your gut. If obese people have a lot of the unhealthy food loving gut bacteria, once they go on antibiotics and kill off a lot of their gut bacteria, wouldn't it be easier for them to turn a new leaf and eat healthy food, replenishing their gut with healthy food loving bacteria?
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-15, 04:51 PM

Administrator
That answer would be impossible to know without a whole lot of scientific data. Your making a lot of assumptions that may or may not be based in reality.

I would say the better option would be to consume probiotics which has been proven to enhance health on many levels. I eat some everyday.

Old 09-11-15, 04:57 PM

Superior Pro
That settles it, I'm going back to grad school for a degree in Biology and I'll use this idea for my thesis.
Old 09-11-15, 05:00 PM

Administrator
Ha. Its not a particularly bad thought process. I just think there is more to understand about antibiotics effect on gut bacteria and its relation to health or its likely hood of healthy eating. We should make assumptions about nothing and only trust fact.
Old 09-11-15, 05:05 PM

Superior Pro
Yeah, I just brought this theory up to my boss and he said the same thing. Lol. I'm going to stalk the biology department and try to convince some professor to do some research on this idea.
Bouncer likes this.
Old 09-11-15, 05:22 PM

Administrator
What do you do avid? Teacher at university?
Old 09-11-15, 05:24 PM

Superior Pro
No, my friends in my cohort tried to get me to go that route but I do not like speaking in front of groups, so now I am a low level professional.
Bouncer likes this.
Old 09-12-15, 09:49 AM

Founding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidFisherman View Post
If obese people have a lot of the unhealthy food loving gut bacteria, once they go on antibiotics and kill off a lot of their gut bacteria, wouldn't it be easier for them to turn a new leaf and eat healthy food, replenishing their gut with healthy food loving bacteria?

It takes a lot more than healthy flora to "turn a new leaf." Obesity often coincides with emotional/behavioral issues, so bacteria isn't going to change their relationship and how they think/feel about food.

However, I will say that while YOU are taking antibiotics, you should definitely add in some probiotics. I try to drink this everyday.

What Is Kefir? - Lifeway KefirLifeway Kefir
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-15, 09:53 AM

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitnessBrat View Post
It takes a lot more than healthy flora to "turn a new leaf." Obesity often coincides with emotional/behavioral issues, so bacteria isn't going to change their relationship and how they think/feel about food.

However, I will say that while YOU are taking antibiotics, you should definitely add in some probiotics. I try to drink this everyday.

What Is Kefir? - Lifeway KefirLifeway Kefir
there actually is new evidence supporting the idea that gut bacteria actually does in fact influence emotional/behavioral patterns. I posted a study a couple months ago, I'll look for it.
Old 09-12-15, 09:55 AM

Administrator
Here FB.

https://www.superiormuscle.com/forums...ety-depression

https://www.superiormuscle.com/forums...te-human-brain
Old 09-12-15, 10:08 AM

Administrator
For anyone looking to add Probiotics to their diet. Here's a small list.

Top Foods With Probiotics

Yogurt. Yogurt is one of the most familiar sources of probiotics -- "good" bacteria that keep a healthy balance in your gut.

Sauerkraut Boosts Digestion.

Miso Soup.

Soft Cheeses.

Kefir: Probiotic-Filled Drink.

Sourdough Bread.

Milk With Probiotics.

Sour Pickles.
AvidFisherman likes this.
Old 09-12-15, 11:20 AM

Founding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
there actually is new evidence supporting the idea that gut bacteria actually does in fact influence emotional/behavioral patterns. I posted a study a couple months ago, I'll look for it.

Yes, and the kefir link I posted mentions something similar as one of it's "pros" to probiotics. However, there is no way that is enough lol.
blm
Old 09-12-15, 11:24 AM

Founding Member
The probiotics in most foods is not enough. I assumed it was until my daughter had some GI issues. We gave her yogurt and smoothies with probiotics to no avail. The Dr suggested Culturelle and within days her issues reversed.
Old 09-12-15, 11:24 AM

Founding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
The probiotics in most foods is not enough. I assumed it was until my daughter had some GI issues. We gave her yogurt and smoothies with probiotics to no avail. The Dr suggested Culturelle and within days her issues reversed.

Florastor also works well. :thumb:
blm
Old 09-12-15, 11:27 AM

Founding Member
Quote:
Florastor also works well. :thumb:
There was another one he gave us at a different time that required refrigeration but I can't recall what it was. That was when she had rotavirus and got wiped out by IV antibiotics though.

I gained a whole new appreciation for probiotics and health gut flora after that. Truly made all the difference in a suffering little girl.
Old 09-12-15, 11:31 AM

Founding Member
Quote:
There was another one he gave us at a different time that required refrigeration but I can't recall what it was. That was when she had rotavirus and got wiped out by IV antibiotics though.

I gained a whole new appreciation for probiotics and health gut flora after that. Truly made all the difference in a suffering little girl.

Thats exactly the reason I know about that one! The pediatrician recommended it for my son. Poor kids.
blm likes this.
blm
Old 09-12-15, 11:36 AM

Founding Member
Quote:
Thats exactly the reason I know about that one! The pediatrician recommended it for my son. Poor kids.
No joke. That virus is brutal. She was in the hospital for a week. She dehydrated in about 8 hours despite pushing fluids like pedialyte. Then I got it and then my wife (who was pregnant with our youngest).

I'll tell you though, the hardest part for me was when I had to hold down my 2 year old baby girl while they gave her a catheter and she looked up at me in pain and suffering and said "daddy help me, they're hurting me".

My knees got weak and tears rolled down my cheeks. Puts a lump in my throat as I type this. Ugh, damn kids, lol.
Old 09-12-15, 11:43 AM

Founding Member
Quote:
No joke. That virus is brutal. She was in the hospital for a week. She dehydrated in about 8 hours despite pushing fluids like pedialyte. Then I got it and then my wife (who was pregnant with our youngest).

I'll tell you though, the hardest part for me was when I had to hold down my 2 year old baby girl while they gave her a catheter and she looked up at me in pain and suffering and said "daddy help me, they're hurting me".

My knees got weak and tears rolled down my cheeks. Puts a lump in my throat as I type this. Ugh, damn kids, lol.

Aww :bawl:

I do recall you talking about that. That is awful. My son was just the diarrhea and such, but not for long. It's tough to keep the little ones from being dehydrated. I swear I'd make the worst pediatric nurse. I'd be crying all the time! The elderly are almost as bad though. :(
blm
Old 09-12-15, 11:53 AM

Founding Member
Elderly creep me out. Lol
Old 11-25-15, 08:57 AM

Administrator
Your Gut Bacteria May Be Controlling Your Appetite | Science | Smithsonian
AvidFisherman likes this.
Old 11-25-15, 11:40 AM

Superior Pro
I wonder how long it will be until scientists come up with a pill mimicking that protein the e.coli produces to make you feel full for human consumption? I bet they are working on it now.
Old 07-26-17, 07:52 PM

Administrator
blaha actually talking about something helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ebwXsq5mOk
Old 08-07-17, 05:20 PM

Administrator
Enhanced Athlete Health and Longevity Researcher Cary Nosler goes in depth on why Probiotics are a must and what you need to know to keep your gut healthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frp--J5_5Rw
Androman likes this.
Old 08-07-17, 05:23 PM

Superior Pro
Amen, preach the gospel brother Bouncer.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Bouncer likes this.
Old 08-07-17, 07:46 PM

Superior Pro
Quote:
Enhanced Athlete Health and Longevity Researcher Cary Nosler goes in depth on why Probiotics are a must and what you need to know to keep your gut healthy.

This is important stuff. Definitely gonna buy some probiotics soon... think it's funny how at 1:22 after he said "autism" it looked like he was trying hard not to smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-17, 08:08 PM

Administrator
Quote:

PART 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxf1iL82CE

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0