SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Fitness Section > Nutrition
Reload this Page Do YOU feel it's important to log your cal intake ED?

Nutrition Dieting & Nutrition Discussion

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Chadd77
  • 2 Post By lipripper
  • 2 Post By M00chie69

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-16, 07:48 AM
Question Do YOU feel it's important to log your cal intake ED?

Founding Member
This question DOES NOT pertain to those who compete, they have to watch and log everything they consume.

I honestly don't remember the last time I logged my food intake. I eat what my body needs on a daily basis; it's repetitive for sure.

Certain meals or days of the week, she switches things up for me. But those meals still cover my 2 main ingredients that I need; Protein and Fats. Carbs are there, but minimal.

I get asked all the time about my calorie consumption, I just don't have one, I eat. But I don't focus on calories in or out and let me explain why.

The food I eat ED is good enough for my body to do what it does and not loose muscle. I am not trying to drop weight, I am not trying to massively build a large frame. My goal is to stay lean(single digits)all year round, maintain what I have already put on and just stay strong and healthy.

I splurge on food(cheat days)twice a week now, was once before. But one of those days is truly a cheat day; ALL OUT:pig:

The other cheat day is a bit more moderate, not too extreme. I still drink 2 gallons a day(yes it is for sure 2g's). When you're up at 430AM ED and starting your day at 5AM to train. Well by the time 8AM hits, I'm more than 3/4 of a gallons gone.

I'd like to read what some of you might post. I look for new ideas or patterns. thanks:thumb:
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-16, 09:47 AM

Founding Member
I think it's good to log for a week every few months to see if you are still holding true to the plan and make some adjustments if need be. Small increases in food intake will keep a nice slow paced muscle gain while staying lean because if it never increases the body will stall.

Maybe something like a one week log every 2 or 3 months where you can increase calories by 100 or so. Should keep a good pace that way.
Old 12-21-16, 09:54 AM

Superior Admiral
Every once in a while you should log your food to see where you are at. Especially when you're calculating macros at the end of the week. Shows you where you were off and what you can add or remove. Sometimes we just get in a rhythm and don't realize what we're doing missing out on or overdoing.

I know for competitors, it's a must, especially if they're new to competing. Missing an oz of protein here or there and overdoing your fat intake at the end of the week results will mess you up.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-16, 10:07 AM

Founding Member
I never log but I weigh everything on a food scale that I eat. So if I want to add, maintain, or loose weight I just adjust it on the scale. For example most of my protein/carb meals consist of 8oz meat and 4oz of complex carb when maintaining.
Old 12-21-16, 10:10 AM

Founding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckz28 View Post
I think it's good to log for a week every few months to see if you are still holding true to the plan and make some adjustments if need be. Small increases in food intake will keep a nice slow paced muscle gain while staying lean because if it never increases the body will stall.

Maybe something like a one week log every 2 or 3 months where you can increase calories by 100 or so. Should keep a good pace that way.
I use the mirror for that, it never lies and 100% truth. I see your point bro, but if you make adjustments here and there, log your stuff etc....At the end of the day, the mirror does not lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna9488 View Post
Every once in a while you should log your food to see where you are at. Especially when you're calculating macros at the end of the week. Shows you where you were off and what you can add or remove. Sometimes we just get in a rhythm and don't realize what we're doing missing out on or overdoing.

I know for competitors, it's a must, especially if they're new to competing. Missing an oz of protein here or there and overdoing your fat intake at the end of the week results will mess you up.
People who compete? Yea for sure a log is needed. My log is my mirror and clothing. Logs can be inaccurate at times, misleading, not telling the entire truth etc...

thanks for the replies fellas.
Old 12-21-16, 11:43 AM

Administrator
Once you experiment and know what your body needs to get in a particular shape you don't need to log or weigh anything. After awhile you just know the portion sizes by doing it so often. Especially if your like me and you eat exactly the same shit day in and day out.

But if your new to the game or your trying to get lean or get bigger for the first time I'd say yes it can be important to understand exactly what your taking in.
Old 12-21-16, 12:16 PM

Founding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
Once you experiment and know what your body needs to get in a particular shape you don't need to log or weigh anything. After awhile you just know the portion sizes by doing it so often. Especially if your like me and you eat exactly the same shit day in and day out.

But if your new to the game or your trying to get lean or get bigger for the first time I'd say yes it can be important to understand exactly what your taking in.
I agree to a certain extent. I can usually eyeball my food and get extremely close. But if your off just say an oz on each meal, that can make a difference when you're eating 6-7 times a day. For me it's just habit to throw my food on a scale. I'm anal like that!
dna9488 likes this.
Old 12-21-16, 01:51 PM

Superior Admiral
I did when I was loosing weight..I tracked every one every day.. Now I have no need too I can pretty much stay on track with what Im doing. I will say this..tracking every cal for 6 months taught me a lot about different foods.
Scrumhalf and rado like this.
Old 12-28-16, 02:16 PM

Superior Amateur
I am still not convinced that calories in vs calories out really matter, so for that reason, no I do not log my daily calories.

I do believe my macro split matters, so I do log protein/fat/carbs on a daily basis. I cut carbs often (< 50 / day) so it's critical for me to log that when doing so.
Turbo3000 and rado like this.
Old 12-28-16, 04:00 PM

Founding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by M00chie69 View Post
I am still not convinced that calories in vs calories out really matter,
Kinda with you on this one.

I speak for myself due to how I train and when and what I eat.
Old 01-19-17, 12:41 PM

Founding Member
anyone else? erod? I know you're into this log stuff right?
Old 01-19-17, 01:48 PM

Superior Amateur
No I'm really not into that stuff, unfortunately kind of the sheep/herd mentality of what you read and see. Being new to the game, I just want to get it right. You always hear you need x amount of protein, carbs, etc...
For the first couple of weeks of this cycle, I am going to track my food intake on fitday.com to see how many grams of protein/carb/fats I'm consuming a day and tweek anything necessary with results from the scale and mirror.
is Offline   Reply With Quote

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0