SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Fitness Section > Nutrition
Reload this Page Ketogenic Lifestyle

Nutrition Dieting & Nutrition Discussion

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Bouncer
  • 1 Post By rado
  • 1 Post By Bouncer
  • 1 Post By FitnessBrat
  • 1 Post By FrankTheTank55
  • 1 Post By FitnessBrat
  • 1 Post By FitnessBrat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-17, 08:26 PM
Ketogenic Lifestyle

Founding Member
Long time no see

I'm fully versed on the in's and out's of it, as I have been keto for about 6 months now. Just curious if anyone else here is currently keto.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 08:52 PM

Founding Member
Howdy
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 08:53 PM

Founding Member
No but im curious about it
Old 08-19-17, 09:25 PM

Administrator
Pretty much the exact opposite of what I do in terms of carbs so obviously I don't mess with it (I'd shrink away to a little 90lb fag) but I know it can definitely be very effective for people. Dave Palumbo is big into keto. Welcome back.
AvidFisherman likes this.
Old 08-20-17, 08:58 AM

Founding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
Pretty much the exact opposite of what I do in terms of carbs so obviously I don't mess with it (I'd shrink away to a little 90lb fag) but I know it can definitely be very effective for people. Dave Palumbo is big into keto. Welcome back.

I think you might be surprised about that - although I know you're very in tune with your body and what works for you. There's some pretty big keto dudes out there. And some aren't quite as low carb, either. But aside from muscle, it seems to work wonders for so many people as far as health benefits. I do it because I already had so many food allergies and intolerances anyway. It just makes sense, and it's been very effective.
Old 08-20-17, 09:16 AM

Founding Member
Post some ideas up. I'd give it a shot. I know quite a few who do this, but never really dove into it.

I already keep my carbs low as it is.
Old 08-20-17, 10:14 AM

It's pretty much all I do. I've done it for years. Every now and then I'll go off and eat whatever or try new things. Like recently I tried eating a plant based only diet. Gained 5lbs in 3 weeks from all the added carbs. So I'm back to keto....lol
Old 08-20-17, 10:16 AM

Paleo is a good way to go because sometimes you want some sweetness and fruit is allowed. Even raw honey or natural maple syrup. Maple syrup in a cold glass of almond milk taste like ice cream!
Old 08-20-17, 10:26 AM

Founding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank55 View Post
Paleo is a good way to go because sometimes you want some sweetness and fruit is allowed. Even raw honey or natural maple syrup. Maple syrup in a cold glass of almond milk taste like ice cream!
I like Paleo alot

May go back to it now that you've mentioned it.
Old 08-20-17, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rado View Post
I like Paleo alot

May go back to it now that you've mentioned it.
When I do Paleo I miss cream for my coffee and cheese. When I do strict keto I can do diary but miss the fruit....lol

But with either I buy free range organic chicken/eggs and grass fed beef.
Old 08-20-17, 11:32 AM

Founding Member
Quote:
When I do Paleo I miss cream for my coffee and cheese. When I do strict keto I can do diary but miss the fruit....lol

But with either I buy free range organic chicken/eggs and grass fed beef.
I don't do cream ever. But I like my milk. For the most part I always get fat free, but recently I've been getting the 1%. I like my milk and feta for my eggs.

Life issues lol

I remember growing up when I was hungry, I was fed wonder bread with miracle whip, Kraft sliced cheese and fucking ham these days I'm worried about where my chickens live before I buy
FrankTheTank55 likes this.
Old 08-20-17, 01:00 PM

Superior Pro
I could not stick to it, I never got fully adapted. The best diet is the diet you can stick to and I could not stick to it.

With that said it's not undoable but it is hard to gain much muscle going keto. It's much better for cutting than bulking.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-17, 05:57 AM

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidFisherman View Post
I could not stick to it, I never got fully adapted. The best diet is the diet you can stick to and I could not stick to it.

With that said it's not undoable but it is hard to gain much muscle going keto. It's much better for cutting than bulking.

Yea it's not well suited for putting on muscle thats for sure. In the bodybuiding world it's used in show prep (many Palumbo clients) to pull that last layer of body fat off. It's definitely effective there.

Any jacked guys on keto did not get jacked on a keto diet. They are simply dieting or in maintenance mode for summer or a show etc..

The bodies preferred fuel source for strength, power, and endurance is carbohydrates.

But if your doing it to drop some pounds quickly or you just have so many food/stomach issues with carbs I can definitely understand why fb would like it. It's all about what works best for us individually.
AvidFisherman likes this.
Old 08-21-17, 01:13 PM

Founding Member
Quote:
It's pretty much all I do. I've done it for years. Every now and then I'll go off and eat whatever or try new things. Like recently I tried eating a plant based only diet. Gained 5lbs in 3 weeks from all the added carbs. So I'm back to keto....lol

oh wow, never heard you talk about it before. Do you do strict keto, or more "if it fits your macros" style?
Old 08-21-17, 01:21 PM

Founding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rado View Post
Post some ideas up. I'd give it a shot. I know quite a few who do this, but never really dove into it.

I already keep my carbs low as it is.

I'm pretty strict right now. No grains. I don't do dairy or nuts. I only count net carbs for greens and avocado. I'm also eating at a deficit for fat loss right now. Down about 7% since I cut out dairy/nuts and increased protein.

For me that looks like:

95 - 105 gr protein (depending on if it's a training day or not)
75 - 85 gr fat (I rarely hit that, I'm always under)
20 gr net carbs (or less)

It's much, much easier once you become adapted, but I know it's not for everyone!
Old 08-21-17, 01:29 PM

Welcome back, FB!

Do you do refeeds? The cyclic ketogenic diet (CKD) is very effective for fat loss. Lyle McDonald has a book on it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-17, 01:52 PM

Founding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf View Post
Welcome back, FB!

Do you do refeeds? The cyclic ketogenic diet (CKD) is very effective for fat loss. Lyle McDonald has a book on it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thanks

Nope, most of the gurus I'm reading don't really recommend that for the average Joe. More for athletes already at a fairly low body fat doing high intensity/volume training. Someone like Bouncer would likely go that route. For me it would likely be more detrimental since fat loss and recomposition is my main goal.
Scrumhalf likes this.
Old 08-21-17, 02:35 PM

Superior Pro
You are doing a bro-keto diet. True keto you need to get your protein much lower and fat higher.

Old 08-21-17, 03:02 PM

Founding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidFisherman View Post
You are doing a bro-keto diet. True keto you need to get your protein much lower and fat higher.

That's false. If I were seeking ketosis it for medical reasons, such as epilepsy, then I would certainly agree with you.
Old 08-21-17, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitnessBrat View Post
oh wow, never heard you talk about it before. Do you do strict keto, or more "if it fits your macros" style?
I don't keep track of my macros. Besides making sure my carbs stay under 50 a day.
FitnessBrat likes this.
Old 08-21-17, 03:37 PM

Superior Pro
I am just saying it is not a textbook keto diet.

Old 08-21-17, 04:24 PM

Administrator
What's an example of the foods you eat fb? I thought keto diet was pretty much fat and protein and no carbs? But I don't claim to be any sort of expert on it so I'm not 100% on that.

Have you found that all your food allergies have disappeared? You had issues with gluten and you are actually one of the few that isn't just following the anti gluten trend because you in fact have celiacs disease correct? Has this diet removed all the issues from that?
Old 08-21-17, 04:35 PM

Founding Member
Quote:
What's an example of the foods you eat fb? I thought keto diet was pretty much fat and protein and no carbs? But I don't claim to be any sort of expert on it so I'm not 100% on that.

Have you found that all your food allergies have disappeared? You had issues with gluten and you are actually one of the few that isn't just following the anti gluten trend because you in fact have celiacs disease correct? Has this diet removed all the issues from that?

It is - no grains or sugar, carbs from limited sources (greens, primarily) and under 20g net carbs. There are different ideas/ways that people follow. I choose to follow the stricter version because I want to burn the fat on my body, not the 200g of butter and heavy cream others are consuming. And obviously it's going to take me being stricter for me to lose because I have less. The diet can be a pain in the ass when it comes to stuff like condiments (sugar is in everything!)etc, but I'm so used to be limited anyway that it doesn't bother me.

Yes, I have celiac. I've known for a long time that I probably *should* give up grains, better never really experimented and just dealt with the bloat. The difference in how I feel NOW is amazing. The bloat is gone, I sleep better than I have in 15 years, and I'm rarely hungry. It's also a really good way to find out what other foods are inflammatory. Like dairy, for instance, or nuts. I didn't notice the realllly major changes until I also cut those out.
lipripper likes this.
Old 08-21-17, 06:11 PM

FB, there was a question about hemp protein on another thead. I thought you were looking into protein alternatives when you were getting rid of dairy, and therefore, whey protein. Did you end up trying hemp protein?
Old 08-21-17, 08:50 PM

Founding Member
Can you post up links to some simple meals that you are enjoying?

Keto vs Paleo in a nutshell?

I need to make some changes. I can't shake off this belly/side fat. I lose all my muscle mass when I try to diet down, and calling my muscles a "mass" is a stretch.
Old 08-21-17, 09:02 PM

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo3000 View Post

I need to make some changes. I can't shake off this belly/side fat. I lose all my muscle mass when I try to diet down, and calling my muscles a "mass" is a stretch.
Haha, while I support any positive diet changes you want to make, it would be a whole lot easier on some test, masteron, and Winny.
Old 08-21-17, 10:15 PM

Quote:

Paleo is more about natural foods. Anything that has a face, fruits and veggies, nuts and seeds. No diary, no beans, no peanuts because they aren't actually nuts, no artificial sweeteners.

When I do Paleo I make alot of soups and stews, loaded with veggies and meat.

I guess the biggest difference is, Paleo allows natural sugars, keto does not.

Paleo you can eat carrots - Keto you shouldn't
Old 08-22-17, 06:56 AM

Founding Member
Paleo is also not necessarily low carb. They do a lot of almond/coconut flour, coconut/palm sugar, honey/maple, etc. As Frank said, they're all about eating natural. Keto sort of takes it to the next level. Just because something is natural (corn, carrots) does not mean it is good for you.

If I could recommend one thing, it would be to follow the strict group. I read SO many things, different variations, and joined tons of groups. Sure, you'll start losing with the crew that eats 50g of protein and 200g of fat, but soon you'll be wondering what's going on. Save yourself! This site has a wealth of information. These guys are serious.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index There's also a KetoGains Facebook group that's great. They make it real clear they don't put up with BS, and they are not a support group. They don't want to hold you hand and talk about it. Sort of like this place. Science based or GTFO. This is the macro calculator they use. https://ketogains.com/ketogains-calculator/ The bottom portion is a little tricky if you aren't reading through. Just make sure to choose sedentary, KetoGains recommended, and lower the fat until it matches the calories set - if fat loss is your goal.
rado likes this.
Old 08-22-17, 07:01 AM

Founding Member
Quote:

I'll post a couple of recipes I've made. Right now I'm not eating dairy, so it becomes more limited. After about 6 weeks, I'll allow it for a week or so. I have some recipes planned for that week already, haha.

Oh, one other HUGE difference when eating this way -- electrolytes. They MUST be supplemented or you will absolutely feel like crap and quit.
Old 08-22-17, 07:40 AM

Founding Member
Quote:
Paleo is also not necessarily low carb. They do a lot of almond/coconut flour, coconut/palm sugar, honey/maple, etc. As Frank said, they're all about eating natural. Keto sort of takes it to the next level. Just because something is natural (corn, carrots) does not mean it is good for you.

If I could recommend one thing, it would be to follow the strict group. I read SO many things, different variations, and joined tons of groups. Sure, you'll start losing with the crew that eats 50g of protein and 200g of fat, but soon you'll be wondering what's going on. Save yourself! This site has a wealth of information. These guys are serious.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index There's also a KetoGains Facebook group that's great. They make it real clear they don't put up with BS, and they are not a support group. They don't want to hold you hand and talk about it. Sort of like this place. Science based or GTFO. This is the macro calculator they use. https://ketogains.com/ketogains-calculator/ The bottom portion is a little tricky if you aren't reading through. Just make sure to choose sedentary, KetoGains recommended, and lower the fat until it matches the calories set - if fat loss is your goal.
good post

I know all about celiac, my GF has it. So I totally see your side and feel your pain.

I'll take a pic of her food list of what she can and can't have
Old 08-27-17, 08:02 PM

Founding Member
The keto gains macro calculator states I need to eat 165g of fat per day. Wtf
Old 08-27-17, 10:40 PM

Founding Member
Quote:
That's not bad. I have a high fat diet
Old 08-28-17, 03:43 PM

Founding Member
Quote:

Without knowing your stats - did you set it to fat loss and see that it was at a deficit? Also, to KetoGains recommendation?

Mine is at 75-85g a day, so it's properly set correctly. Once you become adapted, you may not eat that much. It's just a lever.
Old 08-28-17, 03:51 PM

Founding Member
Quote:
Without knowing your stats - did you set it to fat loss and see that it was at a deficit? Also, to KetoGains recommendation?

Mine is at 75-85g a day, so it's properly set correctly. Once you become adapted, you may not eat that much. It's just a lever.
I think I was just shocked. The math works out though. Just seems daunting...

I'm going to play around with it once I get back from vacation in a few weeks. I'm going to try and get pretty low on my carbs just to see how I feel and look.
Old 08-29-17, 03:12 PM

Founding Member
Quote:
I think I was just shocked. The math works out though. Just seems daunting...

I'm going to play around with it once I get back from vacation in a few weeks. I'm going to try and get pretty low on my carbs just to see how I feel and look.

It does sound like a lot, but I think you'll find you probably need quite a bit to feel satiated - especially at first. And don't forget, once you drop those carbs to start supplanting those electrolytes. You will feel like hell, otherwise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-17, 04:29 PM

Administrator
yea its not a lot when you consider fats will be taking over as your fuel source. oatmeal fills my stomach and satisfies my hunger so well i feel like i would over eat without my heavy fiber meals with oats.
Old 08-29-17, 04:45 PM

Administrator
fatass chimes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1DaVRuRKhk
Old 08-29-17, 04:58 PM

Administrator
heres the study. the 2 types of cancers they are worried about is skin and breast cancer.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._Based?fref=gc
Old 08-29-17, 05:09 PM

Founding Member
Quote:

I have a hard time taking him serious with his stupid hat and fake back drop.

However, he's basically saying it could *possibly* help in some cancers and hinder with some others, but there isn't enough research to really support either. His main focus (until I stopped) was the importance of exercise over diet.

Cancer is a son of a bitch, we've all come to know that. Doesn't matter what you do now, you're still at a risk for some type of cancer. :(
Old 08-30-17, 05:19 AM

Founding Member
Quote:
I have a hard time taking him serious with his stupid hat and fake back drop.

However, he's basically saying it could *possibly* help in some cancers and hinder with some others, but there isn't enough research to really support either. His main focus (until I stopped) was the importance of exercise over diet.

Cancer is a son of a bitch, we've all come to know that. Doesn't matter what you do now, you're still at a risk for some type of cancer. :(

Fuck cancer. I think a study exists showing a correlation with cancer regarding every food group.

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0