SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Fitness Section > Nutrition
Reload this Page Why is the deadlift so important in a weightlifting routine?

Nutrition Dieting & Nutrition Discussion

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By Mr I
  • 2 Post By redback
  • 1 Post By Bouncer
  • 1 Post By rado
  • 1 Post By Androman
  • 2 Post By Mr I

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-18, 12:04 AM
Why is the deadlift so important in a weightlifting routine?

Superior Amateur
7 Most Important Benefits Of Deadlifting:
1) Muscle Growth

This tops the list of benefits for very obvious reasons. Most guys want bigger muscles and there is no better exercise for overall muscle growth. When you deadlift the right way, you use almost every single muscle in your body. You get a rigorous full body workout. And when you combine that with heavy lifting, you naturally release growth hormones that induce muscle development.

2) Strength Gain

If you want fast strength increase on all the exercises that are part of your workout routine, deadlifting is your solution. It increases your grip and core strength like no other exercise can. Want a bigger bench? Stronger squat? Crazy curling strength? Pullup power? Easy fix, just deadlift heavy.

3) More Powerful

Power while sometimes used interchangeably with strength is actually different from it. Power is the ability to exert great force and a short period of time. While strength is the ability to move or support heavy objects sustainably for a longer period of time. Power is useful for athletic performance. A football linebacker tackling a an opponent, a tennis player returning a serve, a basketball player dunking over opponents etc. If you play any sport, deadlifting will make a big difference in your performance.

4) Testosterone increase

What guy doesn’t want more testosterone? It makes you more manly, more attractive to the ladies, more upbeat about life and you just want to get shit done. Resistance training itself can increase your testosterone level, but add heavy deadlifts to the mix and you’ve got a natural test booster with only positive side effects.

5) Better Overall health

Stronger, more testosterone, more positive outlook on life equals better overall health. It’s simple. Doing deadlifts also improves your cardio. And as you know, good cardio is important for overall health. You also build joint strength and your immune system gets stronger. Most Compound exercises will do these things but the one thing that makes the deadlift stand out is that it does this for your entire body. It’s a true full body powerhouse.

6) Positive Effect on other exercises

When you combine the above benefits, what you get is increased strength and flexibility on all other exercises. When you do heavy deadlifts, you are actually doing heavy lifting using all the major muscles in your body, back, chest, legs, arms etc. So when you do isolation movements or other more specific compound movements, you will notice an immediate strength gain.

7) Fat burning

Because of the exertion involved during the deadlift, you recruit more muscle fibers, burn more calories and than you could with other movements. The result is increased fat burning. If you’ve read my other articles, you know that compound movements are the best exercises for fat loss. And the deadlift is the king of compound exercises so you get the idea. Thanks
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-18, 12:23 AM

VEGETARIAN
Phil heath is about to become 8 x mr Olympia and he never deadlifts

Lee Haney won 8 x mr Olympia and never deadlifted

Jay cutler virtually never deadl lifted

They are all in good health

Ronnie Coleman deadlifted regularly - he is virtually crippled

Ed Conan words greatest power lifter now retired - has had double hip replacement

So has Steve goggins

Tell me again how great deadlifting is?
Bouncer, rado and Derek Wilson like this.
Old 09-10-18, 01:29 AM

Founding Member
Its more a strength exercise. I used to love doing them but for bodybuilding purposes I think they are a waste of time.
rado and Derek Wilson like this.
Old 09-10-18, 09:36 AM

Administrator
dead lifts have never ever felt right to me. the movement seems so unnatural. even when the weight is light is feels awkward as fuck. always feels like i'm forcing my body into a movement my body doesn't want to do. same with normal squats, feels unnatural. hack squats on the other hand feel completely fine and nothing burns the quads like hack squats.
Derek Wilson likes this.
Old 09-10-18, 09:38 AM

Founding Member
I still do deads. But haven't gone over 315lbs in many many months...
Derek Wilson likes this.
Old 09-10-18, 11:53 AM

Superior Pro
Yea i dont do deadlifts. Rackpulls for back work for me.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Derek Wilson likes this.
Old 09-16-18, 12:49 PM

Superior Amateur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr I View Post
Phil heath is about to become 8 x mr Olympia and he never deadlifts

Lee Haney won 8 x mr Olympia and never deadlifted

Jay cutler virtually never deadl lifted

They are all in good health

Ronnie Coleman deadlifted regularly - he is virtually crippled

Ed Conan words greatest power lifter now retired - has had double hip replacement

So has Steve goggins

Tell me again how great deadlifting is?
Thanks! Deadlift is equally as effective as training squats and significantly more potent in hormonal reactions if compared to the bench. The bench is essential too but can not be compared with squats and Deadlifts.

Deadlifts build posture, core stability, powerful grip, increased cardiovascular conditioning, build strong hamstrings, improve joint mobility, build awesome stamina, endurance and bring out the beast. Deadlifts are Full body workouts. It impacts all your muscles from head to toe.
Old 09-16-18, 12:51 PM

Superior Amateur
Quote:
Originally Posted by redback View Post
Its more a strength exercise. I used to love doing them but for bodybuilding purposes I think they are a waste of time.
Yes, you are right! Some strength training coaches take this lift out of routines for in-season training to help the faster recovery of their athletes but insist adding the lift for the offseason training when there is more time to recover. For example American style football. Thanks anyway!
Old 09-16-18, 12:52 PM

Superior Amateur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
dead lifts have never ever felt right to me. the movement seems so unnatural. even when the weight is light is feels awkward as fuck. always feels like i'm forcing my body into a movement my body doesn't want to do. same with normal squats, feels unnatural. hack squats on the other hand feel completely fine and nothing burns the quads like hack squats.
Hmm...Deadlifting based on a proper programming and nutrition/recovery can very effectively create flow of hormones and therefore losing fat is easier, and you get to eat plenty of fresh food.
Old 09-16-18, 12:53 PM

Superior Amateur
Quote:
Originally Posted by rado View Post
I still do deads. But haven't gone over 315lbs in many many months...
Great!
Old 09-16-18, 12:55 PM

Superior Amateur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androman View Post
Yea i dont do deadlifts. Rackpulls for back work for me.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Okay! For a complete back workout you need pullup or lap pull downs for upper back, row exercises for middle lats, and deadlifts or rackpulls for lower back. In general the exercise you perform first would get more emphasis in your training. Why not rotate the sequence of the order of the exercises to prevent plateau and also confuse your muscle a bit. Thanks anyway!
Old 09-16-18, 03:05 PM

VEGETARIAN
Derek your on a forum where most people juice so don’t bother talking about how deadlifts induce hormones lol
redback and rado like this.
Old 09-17-18, 03:46 AM

VEGETARIAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Wilson View Post
Okay! For a complete back workout you need pullup or lap pull downs for upper back, row exercises for middle lats, and deadlifts or rackpulls for lower back. In general the exercise you perform first would get more emphasis in your training. Why not rotate the sequence of the order of the exercises to prevent plateau and also confuse your muscle a bit. Thanks anyway!
Good mornings and hypers do the same for spinal erectors

Conventional deadís will simply erode your spine and do irreparable damage if done consistently and heavy, not one person has ever got away with it
Old 09-23-18, 12:58 PM

Superior Amateur
Good morning too!

Yes, it is!
Old 09-25-18, 10:59 AM

Superior Newbie
Even the lightest weight on a conventional feels like its destroying my lower back. Sumo deadlifts feel much more natural with no strain.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-18, 12:16 PM

Superior Pro
I agree with you guys. Deadlifting to me has always seemed awkward as hell.

Like somethings going to break soon but I do love squats because they add so much to my lower body.

Always heard deadlifts were great but never really got anything out of them.

but a sore lower back. lol
Old 09-25-18, 04:30 PM

VEGETARIAN
There is no doubt to me that deadlifts were a quick route to back mass, and depth, but that sheer load is fundamentally gonna age your spine however you swing it

Ronnie now has irreversible spine damage
Old 10-01-18, 01:49 AM

Superior Amateur
Quote:
Originally Posted by D14BL0 View Post
Even the lightest weight on a conventional feels like its destroying my lower back. Sumo deadlifts feel much more natural with no strain.
That's good!
Old 10-01-18, 01:56 AM

Superior Amateur
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratex View Post

Like somethings going to break soon but I do love squats because they add so much to my lower body.

Deadlift is equally as effective as training squats and significantly more potent in hormonal reactions if compared to the bench. The bench is essential too but can not be compared with squats and Deadlifts.
Old 10-01-18, 01:57 AM

Superior Amateur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr I View Post
There is no doubt to me that deadlifts were a quick route to back mass, and depth, but that sheer load is fundamentally gonna age your spine however you swing it

Ronnie now has irreversible spine damage
Yess!
Old 10-15-18, 05:28 AM

Superior Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratex View Post

I only ever got a sore lower back when I started doing deadlifts. Once those muscles had strengthened, I get doms from my hamstring up to my traps, and lower back feels fine.

Currently deadlifing 2.3 times my bodyweight (I weigh 70kg and PB is 162.5kg)

If I miss this from my routine, I feel like I am missing out on gains.
is Offline   Reply With Quote

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0