SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Fitness Section > Beginners
Reload this Page Hi, my name is...

Beginners Q&A For People Just Getting Started

Puddles
Old 07-29-04, 03:03 PM
Hi, my name is...

Superior Freak
If you're new to the forum, introduce yourselves, tell us where you're at now (no, not in front of the computer ;) tell us if you've started exercising at all, if so, what you're doing, how you eat, stuff like that), what goals you have, and a little about yourself.

Hi, I'm Puddles.

I'm 38 y.o. and I've been training with my husband for a few years now. It's become one of the most enjoyable things in my life. I usually lift weights 5 days a week but I struggle getting cardio in...I hate it! LOL

I used to be really overweight so it's been fun watching my body change over the last couple of years. Frustrating at times as well. Right now I've got to loose about 15-20 lbs. Grrr!!! My willpower has sucked lately.

I've been on this board for a year now and have learned a lot from the folks here. Thanks guys!

~~Fate does not come to us from the outside...it goes forth from within.~~
is Offline   Reply With Quote
decadecadeca
Old 07-29-04, 03:22 PM

Superior Freak

Started back lifting seriously again last year, after a very lengthy bulking phase brought on by marriage, building a new house and merging companies. I'm 31 years old and the last time my bodyfat was in the single digits, Dorian Yates was Mr. Olympia. Now I'm back on a fixed lifting schedule again and an extremely clean diet. This time last year I was 285 lbs and smooooth as a baby. Today I weighed in at 216 and have once again seen the long forgotten first row of abs. Thanks in part to the fine folks and top notch advice here at SM.

DDD
Timma
Old 07-29-04, 03:31 PM

Superior Freak
I'm Timma. I'm 24 and have been lifting seriously for the past 4 years. In that time I have gained over 40lbs of muscle. I want to gain 40 more in the next year or so.

I do it cause I enjoy it. You could say it's a hobby for me.
gdbear65
Old 07-29-04, 03:43 PM

Superior Newbie
I think I'm out my depth on this board - it seems to be for very SERIOUS bodybuilders and I'm more into health and fitness/ bodybuilding

Anyhow, I'm 38 y.o. 6'2" 200lbs. I started exercising/working out back in March after I got a wake-up call while playing hockey - I could only play for twenty-five minutes, before I had to get off the ice 'cause I couldn't catch my breath. A week later I lasted only 35 minutes - so I decided to do something about it. I started doing cardio every other day on my treadmill at home and strengthening on the days in between, allowing one day's rest per week. That went well and I began to notice a vast improvement in my endurance.

More recently, I embarked on a muscle-building regimen. It consists of a four days on and one day off - on days 1 and 3, I work my chest, shoulders, biceps and abs. On days 2 and 4, I work my back, legs, triceps and obliques. I've gained approximately 8 pounds of muscle since I started (after losing about 12 lbs of fat), which for me is fantastic 'cause I was skinny weakling in my adolescence. For cardio, I now ride to work (20K each way) 2 to 3 times per week, making sure I keep my cadence between 60 and 80. It's amazing how much this has done to strengthen my quads and calves. I feel great, my co-ordination is better and things just come a lot easier when you're more muscular. Playing hockey is a lot more fun as I'm faster and I can do more out on the ice. Being fit is the way to go - I highly recommend it.

My goal is simple - to get BIG - I thought I would stop when I reached 210 solid lbs, but will probably push to get up to 220, lean and ripped!
Old 07-29-04, 03:54 PM

Administrator
Originally posted by gdbear65
I think I'm out my depth on this board - it seems to be for very SERIOUS bodybuilders and I'm more into health and fitness/ bodybuilding

Anyhow, I'm 38 y.o. 6'2" 200lbs. I started exercising/working out back in March after I got a wake-up call while playing hockey - I could only play for twenty-five minutes, before I had to get off the ice 'cause I couldn't catch my breath. A week later I lasted only 35 minutes - so I decided to do something about it. I started doing cardio every other day on my treadmill at home and strengthening on the days in between, allowing one day's rest per week. That went well and I began to notice a vast improvement in my endurance.

More recently, I embarked on a muscle-building regimen. It consists of a four days on and one day off - on days 1 and 3, I work my chest, shoulders, biceps and abs. On days 2 and 4, I work my back, legs, triceps and obliques. I've gained approximately 8 pounds of muscle since I started (after losing about 12 lbs of fat), which for me is fantastic 'cause I was skinny weakling in my adolescence. For cardio, I now ride to work (20K each way) 2 to 3 times per week, making sure I keep my cadence between 60 and 80. It's amazing how much this has done to strengthen my quads and calves. I feel great, my co-ordination is better and things just come a lot easier when you're more muscular. Playing hockey is a lot more fun as I'm faster and I can do more out on the ice. Being fit is the way to go - I highly recommend it.

My goal is simple - to get BIG - I thought I would stop when I reached 210 solid lbs, but will probably push to get up to 220, lean and ripped!
Great work bud. You are definitly on the right track. Keep it up!
is Online   Reply With Quote
gdbear65
Old 07-29-04, 04:47 PM

Superior Newbie
Thanks bro, that's high praise indeed! It means a lot to me, coming from someone like you.
meat12
Old 07-29-04, 07:44 PM

Superior Freak
Hey guys, I'm meat and I'm an Alcoholic....oh wait wrong forum

Just kiddin...anways I've been working out the past few years I personal train at nights. I attended the National Personal Training

I got into fitness after being at a beach one day and being too embarrassed to even take my shirt off. I weighed about 130 lbs soaking wet with a ten pound weight in each hand (hahaha). So right then I told myself it was time for a change. So went out bought as much fitness equipment as possible and haven't looked back since. I'm currently at 185 working my up to my ultimate goal of 200lbs. I stumbled onto this site through a friend and found a great group of members who are always there for some great tips and a good laugh. Anways I'm always open for questions and ever eager to learn more from all of you. (sorry if I sound cheesy I've been up since 4:30 this morning) Anways great to see this forum added I think it will help members new to the fitness lifestyle ask the questions they are afraid to ask.

Thnx I'm out
meat

Last edited by meat12; 03-09-05 at 11:13 AM.
bjbabe
Old 08-06-04, 03:27 PM

Superior Amateur
Hello eveyone. I am 23 yrs old and 125 pounds. I am trying to tone my body and eat health. I work out every other day, My favorite work out is cardio. I lift weights once in a while. My biggest concern is trying to be able to lift more weights and gain more muscle.

I dont have a specific diet. I cant seem to be to figure out. What diet will work for me.

I would like to thank everyone on board for all your help and advice.
jaypee
Old 08-06-04, 05:27 PM

Superior Newbie
Hey everybody. I didn't start lifting until really late in life. I was 29 when I started 5 1/2 years ago. My girlfriend and I broke up and I was in some really sad shape mentally. So, I started lifting. It probably saved my life.

At that time I was a marathon runner and weighed 140lbs. Currently, I am about 185lb. I just like lifting because I look better and feel better. I am definately not in the same league as most of you guys but I can talk about lifting all day long....I like the people and I like the journey itself.
Old 08-06-04, 05:55 PM

Superior Amateur
Hi, my name is... what... my name is ... who... my name is
Dang Im on the wrong thread too

Anyways, I was a rail back in HS and the first 2 years of college, 5'8" 128lbs. Started lifting last May (1yr 2mos ago) and have since gained up to 163lbs, maintaining my 32" waist and at 10.2%BF. I've learned alot about diet/training/supps since I've been working out and reading up on this and other boards. Hell, I've learned so much ppl ask me for advice (weird to me). I'm always learning more and more and am more than glad to help anybody that has questions about training/diet/PH/PS. Welcome all newcomers, this board is GREAT
r_deese
Old 08-06-04, 06:05 PM

DONATING MEMBER

i used to lift in highschool, but i never really took it seriously. then i went to college, and after the first two years of partying and drinking, i realized that i was really out of shape. i have been reading on this site for about a year now and have learned so much. i dont post very much because i was always taught that you learn better with you ears open and your mouth shut, or in this case, your eyes open and your fingers off the keyboard, lol. i would encourage anyone new to this site to become very famliar with the search button, it can save you so much time.

sekc
Old 08-06-04, 09:34 PM

Superior Newbie
I started lifting in the Army but could never keep my gains cause the Infantry always kept us in the field without enough food or sleep for weeks at a time. I was carrying 210 lbs on a 6'4" frame. My first six months out, I was 230, first year 265. Right now I'm 250 and I can see abs. I've been powerlifting the last two years completely natural. I want to be about 300 lbs and completely solid. That's why I'm on this forum now. I don't usually care for what people online have to say just cause I can't choke them out when they get out of line, but, I've read some very important material on Superior Muscle. This place is great.
slimer
Old 08-24-04, 01:00 AM

Superior Newbie
aren't introductions what the introduction forum is for?

My name is slimer shady. I got that nickname because when I was in school I sweat in wrestling and my friends called me slimer. I've been lifting seriosly for 3 years. I lifted off and on for abou 15 years. The most I've weighed was 260 last winter I'm curently 230 and 6'1" tall at about 12% BF I've never competed but would like to in a few more years I still need to bring up some body parts(legs) and add more over all muscle depth.
Best lifts
Bench 355*1
squat 435 *6
deadlift 375*3 with straps

I don't like to max out very often on bench because it hurts my shoulders. I also don't max out at squats I've had 2 knee surgeries and don't want to risk it. But I go heavy very often. I really like this forum and am glad to be a member hear.

Last edited by slimer; 08-24-04 at 07:27 AM.
bad14u
Old 08-24-04, 09:45 AM

DONATING MEMBER
Sup??? They call me bad14u, around here anyway :P! I am 35 years of age, 5' 10" short , and weigh 175 lbs. I have been working out for awhile but only got serious with it after a knee injury in 2002 put me on the couch for 2 weeks straight and added about 20 pounds to my gut! Part of my rehab for my knee was riding an exercycle, man did that fuckin' hurt but it helped my knee and helped me shed some of the weight! So I decided to get more serious with my workouts! I stumbled apon SM doing a search on the computer in Feb.of this year and have been addicted since! I thought I wanted to get on the juice and put on the extra muscle quick but after having read so many posts about costs and length of time you would have to be on it, plus the fact that I had a son on the way, I decided to stay natural! This forum has helped me tremendously with my diet and shown me that the "juice" is not for everyone!
Read, learn and then make a well informed decision!

Last edited by bad14u; 08-25-04 at 08:20 AM.
voneber
Old 08-24-04, 10:47 AM

Superior Amateur

I first started working out when I was 15 after being at a teen club and seeing a Muscle and Fitness magazine at a gas station with Gary Strydom (see avatar) on the cover. I've been hooked since then and am now 32. Along the way I've encountered many setbacks along the way..... everything from your normal life events.. bad breakups, the death of my father to a bout with throat Cancer about 5 years ago when my weight when from a hard 232 lbs. down to a wasted 172 lbs.

Everytime I feel like I'm getting on top of my game something seems to stop the progress... the latest was double hernia surgery.... but through it all I find my comfort back in the weight room... without the place I call my second home, I don't really know where I would be today. All I know is that , the gym, the people I contact and read about here on this site and my wife help to make any bad situation not seem as bad as it might initially feel.

Peace to All,

V

I'm pretty sure within a few years, I will be biting people.
is Online   Reply With Quote
Puddles
Old 10-01-04, 09:31 PM

Superior Freak
wnabeabeast
Old 10-02-04, 01:36 AM

Superior Pro
Hi everyone,I came cross this site while I was looking for some info.I've been lifting for last twelwe years (all natural.I was anyway until four weeks ago.) I wanted to make some changes in my diet and my work outs. well lets rewind a bit for the last four of the five and ahalf years I've been a junk food junkie thanks to my x wife she couldn't stand me having a nice clean diet. I used to compete in natural bodybuilding shows and when I met her I just had done a natural show so,she liked me when I was in shape but she didn't like to do what it takes to stay in shape.so I went up from contest shape 160lbs to total tub of lard 210lbs.well since she moved out about a year ago,I got back in to working out and I lost 37lbs and I competed @173lbs middle weight class last july.I was not as sharp as I could have been but it was not easy to get back into good eating habits.well any ways. I am glad I found this site,this place has the coolest people I know without even meeting them in person.so here I am.
ZHowitzer!
Old 10-02-04, 03:08 AM

Superior Newbie

my name is ZHowitzer...or Howie for short...the story for my name is kinda fun (for another time) but basicly it is all about the big gunz!!! (kinda feel silly saying that around here)

I played FB in HS then was a in a fraturnity in College for the first 2 years and got FAT!...just over 200 actually. (5'10" and 185 @18). Then went to work out with the cheerleaders in college to try to get my hands on one of the girls...ended up making it...and ran my ass down to 176. Figured out that the stronger I was the higher they flew..and it was off to the races...back to 185 by the end of the first year...205 and solid for the next fall ...by the time I was finally done cheering...I was 238 @ 9% body fat (also stronger than all but 2 guys on our football team...1 O-line out squat me...and 1 db out benched me). So...I graduated with my BS in Sports and Exercise science...and promptly took both the NSCA CPT and CSCS (holy shit..the cscs is one hard ass test) and passed.

From there I worked in the Industry for about 3 more years until I ended up in the wireless industry (scratching my head still about that one)....right about then I fell from grace...I had gotten up to about 255 half ass solid...but I did get a complement from Randy White (cowboys Hall of famer) the day I hit 400 on the bench...oh...then about 2 years later (somewhere I became too broke to feed myself @ 250). SO i quit training and all that crap..and ended up at 250, way sloppy, an alchaholic, and weak.

I had become what I swore I never would...MY FAJA!!!

Ok so Now I am back on track (been drink free for over 5 months now) and am 270 (still pretty soft) with some pretty impressive wt's for me...this week: Squat 495 for 5...Dead lifted 505 for 4...Military pressed 275 for 3...and benched 365 for 3 (with a healing pec)

Now ... What I have been dreading... cutting. Stay tuned!

hmmm...oh ... and I dont think I am known for SHORT posts :moon:
Old 10-02-04, 10:21 AM

Superior Freak
Originally posted by ZHowitzer!

I had become what I swore I never would...MY FAJA!!!

LOL I hear ya!

Congrats on not drinking!

Glad to see you both getting back into the game after some slip-ups. Muscle has amazing memory so you're never really starting from the beginning.
monkeygirl
Old 10-06-04, 03:25 PM

Superior Newbie

After way too long of doing nothing, I started working out semi-regularly in June- I used to be a little 'chunky', but I had lost about 25 lbs when I started back. As of three weeks ago, I go five or six days- I have a four day rotation for my weights, followed by cardio MOST days. I do a day or two of just cardio as well (which I used to hate with a passion, but now I am getting used to). I want to be toned and have just a little bicep- is that too much to ask??? I have ridiculously long limbs, so the bicep is a long way off........

I have made some progress with the weights, probably due to NO2, which my boyfriend declared a no-no. So now I am slugging it out the best I can, and I have been eating better. I basically try to balance my protein and carbs at each meal, and no more snacks- see, there is some benefit to being poor! And, there is literally nothing in our house that is processed or easy to snack on, also thanks to my boyfriend, Mr. I-watch-everything-that-I-put-in-my-body-oh-my-god-are-you-really-going-to-eat-that-Slim-Jim. It's a little over my head, really!

Anyway, I am 29 years old, 5'10", 135 lbs. (actually, a little under right now, but I'll get up there) and I haven't had my boody fat measured in a while, but I was at about 18% last time. Eventually, I might post some pics if you promise not to laugh!

My boyfriend has lots of nice things to say about this site, and I'm looking forward to being a part of it.
meat12
Old 10-06-04, 04:13 PM

Superior Freak
Originally posted by monkeygirl
Hi, I'm Monkeygirl!

After way too long of doing nothing, I started working out semi-regularly in June- I used to be a little 'chunky', but I had lost about 25 lbs when I started back. As of three weeks ago, I go five or six days- I have a four day rotation for my weights, followed by cardio MOST days. I do a day or two of just cardio as well (which I used to hate with a passion, but now I am getting used to). I want to be toned and have just a little bicep- is that too much to ask??? I have ridiculously long limbs, so the bicep is a long way off........

I have made some progress with the weights, probably due to NO2, which my boyfriend declared a no-no. So now I am slugging it out the best I can, and I have been eating better. I basically try to balance my protein and carbs at each meal, and no more snacks- see, there is some benefit to being poor! And, there is literally nothing in our house that is processed or easy to snack on, also thanks to my boyfriend, Mr. I-watch-everything-that-I-put-in-my-body-oh-my-god-are-you-really-going-to-eat-that-Slim-Jim. It's a little over my head, really!

Anyway, I am 29 years old, 5'10", 135 lbs. (actually, a little under right now, but I'll get up there) and I haven't had my boody fat measured in a while, but I was at about 18% last time. Eventually, I might post some pics if you promise not to laugh!

My boyfriend has lots of nice things to say about this site, and I'm looking forward to being a part of it.
Welcome monkeygirl
beefcake
Old 10-06-04, 04:18 PM

Superior Freak
So who's your boyfriend?

"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor." - Alexis Carrel

"Whenever you're not in the the gym training, someone else out there is, and when you meet them, they will beat you." - Victor Martinez

BuddyBoy
Old 10-06-04, 07:31 PM

Superior Amateur

I'm 22 years old (23 on the17th!), and I'm 5'11, 215lbs.

I've been obsessed with the gym since i was 13. I wa an obese kid, that was sick of being a fatty. I got obsessed with diet and excersize.

When I was 18, I was in college and managed a GNC while goin to college. Now, i work full time for the State of California, and I work part time for a Gym. Hehe it helps keep me sane.

Over the past three years, I've done one natural caloric bulk which got me from 208lbs to 235lbs, and then earlier this year I did an assisted bulk which got me up to 247lbs.

Since April I've dieted down to 215lbs.

I lift about 3-4 times a week, and cardio 7 times a week. I also do polynesian dancing, and have won 1st and second place awards during international tahitian dance competitons.

The next thing I've tossed onto my plate is boxing training at the gym with Jenifer "All American" Alcorn.

See my blog/workout-diet log @
www.xanga.com/user=Strut
Puddles
Old 10-07-04, 08:09 AM

Superior Freak
And, there is literally nothing in our house that is processed or easy to snack on
Same thing here...that is one of the easiest things you can do to stay on diet. My friends would come over and ask if we have chips and stuff...now they know if they want them, they have to bring them themselves. LOL

And if you post pics, no one will laugh at you! Remember, everyone started from the beginning initially! Glad to have you here and thanks to your b/f for the props for the site.
Puddles
Old 10-07-04, 08:10 AM

Superior Freak
Originally posted by BuddyBoy

The next thing I've tossed onto my plate is boxing training at the gym with Jenifer "All American" Alcorn.

That and the dancing sounds like so much fun!

Always a pleasure to see you, hun!
monkeygirl
Old 10-10-04, 02:09 PM

Superior Newbie
So who's your boyfriend?
Sorry, beefcake. I don't even know his SN!!!

And, he has 150 lbs on me, so I know I can't compete with him here!! ;) I am thrilled when I can lift half of what he does!!
meat12
Old 10-10-04, 05:19 PM

Superior Freak
monkeygirl
Old 10-12-04, 04:03 AM

Superior Newbie
He would love to hear that!!

I will probably stick to lurking for a while while I learn more about SM, but you guys seem great (and sarcastic, and intimidatingly well-informed).
Thanks for being so open to the newbies!
INTIMID8OR
Old 10-12-04, 08:19 AM

Superior Amateur
LMAO!!
He would love to hear that!!

I will probably stick to lurking for a while while I learn more about SM, but you guys seem great (and sarcastic, and intimidatingly well-informed).
Thanks for being so open to the newbies!

Thanks for posting and welcome to SM... ;)

IM ALL NATURAL