SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Fitness Section > Beginners
Reload this Page Leg myth?

Beginners Q&A For People Just Getting Started

snowkid10
Old 10-19-05, 07:51 PM
Leg myth?

Superior Newbie
Is it true that if you do not work out your legs as regular as your upper body, your upper body wont develop as good?
is Offline   Reply With Quote
SloppyJo
Old 10-19-05, 07:56 PM

Superior Pro
yes... this is my favorite quote for this... 'you can't carry a cannon on a canoe'... why would you not work out your legs reguraly anyways... you look stupid with a big upper body and matchstick legs,,, your legs are half of your body.. not to mention working out legs helps the body release the most testosterone
Old 10-20-05, 06:41 AM

RESPECTED DONATING MEMBER
Originally Posted by SloppyJo
not to mention working out legs helps the body release the most testosterone
As I understand, the big lifts like squats and deads help production of testosterone. However, I don't think leg extensions and calf raises do anything, so it wouldn't be 100% accurate to say working out legs releases test. But then squats should be a staple of any leg workout, imo anyway.
Old 10-20-05, 11:50 AM

Superior Pro
Originally Posted by BBAddict
As I understand, the big lifts like squats and deads help production of testosterone. However, I don't think leg extensions and calf raises do anything, so it wouldn't be 100% accurate to say working out legs releases test. But then squats should be a staple of any leg workout, imo anyway.
thats what i meant, i guess i just automatically think squats should be incorporated in anyone's leg training regiman
Ashop
Old 10-22-05, 10:20 PM

Superior Pro
is Online   Reply With Quote
Control
Old 11-25-05, 10:59 PM

Superior Pro
Well, I have seen some guys with big upper bodies and no legs, but it looks like shit.
Jordan
Old 11-27-05, 07:50 PM

Superior Amateur
also, your body wants to grow in proportion. it wont encourage upper body growth if your legs arent doing anything. respectively, if you do start packing meat on your legs, you might find your upper body growing to compensate, in order to stay in proportion. furthermore, squating will simply make you a better physical specimen all over. it helps teach your body to work collectively and can potentially give you more 'torque' with other lifts- squat like its going out of style brother
Old 11-27-05, 08:52 PM

I dont think that it would be totally correct to say that if you dont work out legs, your upper body will not develop as well. There are people, such as people in wheelchairs, that cannot work out legs but have very developed upper bodies. But if you are not handicape then you have no reason to not do legs. So i strongly encourage to work out legs. You always need a solid base.
Jordan
Old 11-29-05, 03:02 PM

Superior Amateur
new quote: "bodybuilders who don't train legs don't know SQUAT!"
moranitotongano
Old 12-01-05, 03:17 PM

Superior Newbie
Originally Posted by SloppyJo
yes... this is my favorite quote for this... 'you can't carry a cannon on a canoe'... why would you not work out your legs reguraly anyways... you look stupid with a big upper body and matchstick legs,,, your legs are half of your body.. not to mention working out legs helps the body release the most testosterone
Well said, I agree. :nerdnew:
snowkid10
Old 12-02-05, 02:44 PM

Superior Newbie
Originally Posted by Jordan
also, your body wants to grow in proportion. it wont encourage upper body growth if your legs arent doing anything. respectively, if you do start packing meat on your legs, you might find your upper body growing to compensate, in order to stay in proportion. furthermore, squating will simply make you a better physical specimen all over. it helps teach your body to work collectively and can potentially give you more 'torque' with other lifts- squat like its going out of style brother

Ive been doing legs once a week for 3 weeks now and they feel great and I am noticing a huge difference in size in my legs. I have been doing barbell squats, but some one told me at the gym that the leg press machine works just like squats, is this true?
meat12
Old 12-02-05, 02:49 PM

Superior Freak
thats pretty intresting, never heard that before
Shibby
Old 12-02-05, 02:54 PM

Superior Admiral
Originally Posted by snowkid10
Ive been doing legs once a week for 3 weeks now and they feel great and I am noticing a huge difference in size in my legs. I have been doing barbell squats, but some one told me at the gym that the leg press machine works just like squats, is this true?

In short, no. There are alot of similarities in the movement, but body position is different, which creates a different feel.
coffee-guy
Old 12-02-05, 03:35 PM

Banned
To back up Shibby - it doesn't incorporate NEARLY as much overall muscle mass as free weight squats do. I'm not referring to just the muscles in the legs but in the entire body...
Puma
Old 12-03-05, 10:43 AM

Superior Amateur
What about the difference between free sqauts and smith machine squats? I always get nervous when free squatting that I am going to lose my balance. Is there much difference between those 2 exercises?

Puma
Old 12-03-05, 11:20 AM

Banned
Originally Posted by Puma
What about the difference between free sqauts and smith machine squats? I always get nervous when free squatting that I am going to lose my balance. Is there much difference between those 2 exercises?

Puma
For the most part - yes - there are huge differences. During free squats you are using calves, quads, hamstrings. glutes. back, abs. shoulders and the list goes on. Anything that detracts from "free weights" is going to "isolate" a particular muslce group better if that is the muscle group that you want to focus on by itself.

Don't get me wrong - EVERY machine and exercise serves it's own unique purpose. I am not opposed to most exercises as long as the person performing the exercise is doing so correctly and knows what muscles they are actually supposed to be focused on.
Control
Old 12-05-05, 10:48 AM

Superior Pro
The main difference between regualar squats and leg presses/smith-machine squats is that you have to balance the weight which forces you to use stabilizer muscles. I prefer barbell squats, as do most serious trainees, but you have to go deep and push yourself to failure to see real results and most guys don't. They squat almost to parallel, and rack the bar before they even start to breathe heavy. So many of my trainees tell me they can squat 400, 500, 600 lbs in our intitial interview and then when they show me how they squat I laugh and say "Now I know why your legs aren't growing". I get them squatting ass-to-the-grass with 95 lbs till they learn how to squat deep. When they get up to a respectable weight I have them doing forced reps till they vomit and 6 months later their legs are huge and they really can squat big weights....Damn, I kinda went off on a rant just now. Bottom line is, if you're scared to squat deep and push yourself to failure with a bar on your back but you can do it with leg presses or the smith machine then go for it.
zed
Old 01-04-06, 11:47 AM

Superior Newbie
control where do u train at Id LOVE a session like that...one thing i gotta say tho is that sometimes i find when i squat heavy i lose my breath sooo quickly ...kinda sucks and fuggs up my set
Control
Old 01-05-06, 11:18 AM

Superior Pro
Originally Posted by zed
control where do u train at Id LOVE a session like that...one thing i gotta say tho is that sometimes i find when i squat heavy i lose my breath sooo quickly ...kinda sucks and fuggs up my set

What do you do for cardio? You should lose your breath doing squats, but not so quickly that you can't finish your set. I like up-hill sprints, that's my favorite cardio and it helps on leg day (at least I think it does).....
BBAddict
Old 01-05-06, 12:07 PM

RESPECTED DONATING MEMBER
Originally Posted by Control
I like up-hill sprints, that's my favorite cardio and it helps on leg day (at least I think it does).....
I can't honestly say that I enjoy uphill sprints, but I do incorporate them into my cardio for the numerous benefits that you see from them. I usually job to warm up for a mile, do 1.5-2miles of uphill sprints (1/4 mile uphill, 1/4 mile downhill, repeat as needed), then cool-down by jogging the mile back home (which is somehow WAY longer than the mile to the hill!). I am positive that it increases anaerobic threshold and muscular development of the legs and probably even VO2 max. I definitely recommend it and it will definitely help with endurance during high exertion levels during lifting.
daf2
Old 01-05-06, 09:14 PM

Superior Amateur
Originally Posted by BBAddict
I can't honestly say that I enjoy uphill sprints, but I do incorporate them into my cardio for the numerous benefits that you see from them. I usually job to warm up for a mile, do 1.5-2miles of uphill sprints (1/4 mile uphill, 1/4 mile downhill, repeat as needed), then cool-down by jogging the mile back home (which is somehow WAY longer than the mile to the hill!). I am positive that it increases anaerobic threshold and muscular development of the legs and probably even VO2 max. I definitely recommend it and it will definitely help with endurance during high exertion levels during lifting.

uphill sprints and running steps greatly helped my leg endurance and even a little strength during my preparation for my contest.
Old 02-14-06, 08:05 PM

Superior Amateur
has anyone else heard the theory that compound muscle groups being worked (i.e. SQUATS) also releases a lot of lactaic acid into the muscles, which when then worked away triggers the release of human growth hormone in the body?

i HATE leg days, but i don't want to look like a palm tree either so i do them.

if you're worried about balance, do your squats in a squat cage, set the bars so you can still go low but if you lose your balance it won't kill you. and good luck!
Old 02-16-06, 02:52 PM

Superior Pro
And in addition, you use more muscles for stability and explosiveness when doing barball squats. W/ leg press it is more controlled motion; therefore requiring less energy/muscle expenditure.
Any information divulged by this member is strictly hypothetical and in no way reflects upon this member. This member does not promote the use of any illegal drugs. Redsquirrel is a fictional character.