SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Fitness Section > Beginners
Reload this Page Help cutting up with a broken clavical

Beginners Q&A For People Just Getting Started

MuscleManMatt
Old 11-08-05, 01:19 PM
Help cutting up with a broken clavical

Superior Newbie
Whats up everyone? Heres the story. I was training hard for about 9 months and seeing awesome results but recently I tore a muscle in my shoulder so I was out of the gym for about three weeks then I broke my clavical (collarbone)from an ATV accident. Ive been out of the gym for about a month now and Im going nuts my muscles are going flat and Im getting a hell of a gut. I was about 16% bodyfat before the accident because I was bulking up and planned on cutting before summer. I saw the doctor today and he recommended I wait 4 more weeks before I can train like I used to. The max he recommends for me to lift is a wooping 5lbs. I want to get back to the gym and cut up but Im extremely limited to what I can do. Id like to lose about 20lbs within this month and get a nice set of abs, then when I can train again ill pack it on lean. What would you guys recommend I do at the gym? There is also a sauna which Ive never used before and Id like to possibly take advantage of that. Ive also seriously reduced my supplement intake to multi-vitamin in the morning and 1 50gram protein shake in the afternoon. My supplement intake used to be an MRP int he morning, whey protein shake 2pm PWO shake 5:30pm, 7:30 whey shake. 11:00 12hr proteins shake. Thanks for your help!!

Matt
Old 11-08-05, 01:35 PM

Banned
Post your entire diet - you can do a ton to body composition without even working out...
is Offline   Reply With Quote
meat12
Old 11-08-05, 01:41 PM

Superior Freak
I would worry more about healing up for now
MuscleManMatt
Old 11-08-05, 01:46 PM

Superior Newbie

11:30 tuna fish sandwich/ low fat mayo whole wheat bread or chicken and brown rice

2:30pm tuna steak with columbo yogurt dessert

4:30pm 50 gram whey shake with 2% milk

6:00 MRP

7:30-8 50 gram whey shake w/ water

9:00 dinner (i use the 45/35/20 rule)

11:00 12 hour protein

Since my accident I have only taken 1 50 gram whey shake w/ milk in the afternoon ill admit ive let my diet go to a degree but now I can go back to do cardio and whatever else you may recommend.

Thanks for the response.

Matt
MuscleManMatt
Old 11-08-05, 01:49 PM

Superior Newbie
I dont want to get fat. Ive already got a flabby stomach from eating a lot while I was healing plus I was eating everything in site pre-injury to gain weight now and bulk up. Im 212lbs now and have love handles im not having it.
coffee-guy
Old 11-08-05, 02:33 PM

Banned
Post all the other information too bro - height, age, BMR etc etc etc etc etc etc etc
MuscleManMatt
Old 11-08-05, 02:46 PM

Superior Newbie
Im 23, 212lbs, 6', B.M.I. of 31.8 and my bodyfat pre-injury was 16%.
Pumpdogg
Old 11-08-05, 04:13 PM

Superior Pro
Go easy right now, if it does not heal then you are looking at a plate and screws... you dont want that.... trust me... I pushed too hard when I broke my collar bone this year and ended up with a nasty scar across my chest and a titanium plate and seven screws holding it all together.... BTW I have still not been cleared to lift yet.... It has been 4 months since surgery and 8 since I broke it

PD
Old 11-08-05, 09:13 PM

Superior Newbie
Oh man Im sorry that happened to you thats horrible! Im definately taking it easy but Id like to drop about 20 pounds before I start training like I used to. Best of luck bro I can only imagine how it must drive you nuts not being able to train.

Matt
coffee-guy
Old 11-09-05, 07:12 AM

Banned
I haven't forgotten about you - give me a bit to get back to you though - Glowalla or anyone else - if you're out there feel free to jump in because I may take a day or two to get back here...
MuscleManMatt
Old 11-09-05, 08:54 AM

Superior Newbie
Waiting for good advice is not a problem. Thanks bro.
SloppyJo
Old 11-09-05, 09:29 AM

Superior Pro
I'll chime in here and give a little advice and we'll see what else foghat wants to add to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleManMatt
7:30am MRP or oatmeal and egg whites

cut out the MRP - 4 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 1 cup oatmeal, and half a protein shake

11:30 tuna fish sandwich/ low fat mayo whole wheat bread or chicken and brown rice

cut out the mayo, i used to eat tuna with mayo too, but you'll get used to it with no mayo, check the recipe sections for bouncers tuna mush

cut out the yogurt, add in a sweet potato

4:30pm 50 gram whey shake with 2% milk

use water instead of milk, add in a half cup of oats to the shake with some flaxseed oil or fish oil

6:00pm

chicken, lean steak, or lean beef, with brown rice or another sweet potato and some green veggies, spinach, broccolli are my personal favorites

add in a scoop of natty pb for some healthy fat

just make sure your getting low GI carbs and omega 3 fats - i would also add some greens in here

not sure what 12 hr protein is but if it's casein protein then your good, if not you might want to have some cottage cheese or i personally like a can of tuna or about 4 egg whites - remember whole foods are better than protein shakes
MuscleManMatt
Old 11-09-05, 12:49 PM

Superior Newbie
Thanks for the recommendations ill be sure to change things up. I usually skip out the mayo and just squeeze some lemon juice on it, sometimes having mayo and a little relish is like a treat haha. I use the 12 hour probolic protein from MHP its a casein based protein. Now this diet is perfect for when I train but right now Im limited to what I can do due to the broken collar bone. What would you recommend I do to cut up a little and shave off about 20lbs? Right now Im low carbing it big time and eating a lot of lean meats off the forman grill. Foghat mentioned that I could do a lot of body composition without working out. What do you recommend I can do to achieve this? Right now im able to work out my legs and abs, and also do any of the cardio machines. Thanks.

Matt
SloppyJo
Old 11-09-05, 01:18 PM

Superior Pro
well this is a cutting diet, so there's no reason to change it just because your not working out, if you don't want to lose the muscle you already have then your going to need protein,carbs, and healthy fats... you might just want to cut carbs out past 6:00pm.

i also like doing supersets to raise the heartrate also. so do a set of whatever leg exercise, then without a break go and do a set of whatever ab exercise, rest about 30secs-1min, then repeat. if you do this on a hard day, i'll guarentee you'll be winded after your second set.

as for cardio, a lot of people like walking for about 30-45 mins to elevate your heartrate but not too high so your body doesn't turn to carbs for energy. i personally like interval training, which would be walk for 1 min, then sprint for 30 secs, and repeat for 10-20 mins. i like doing it on an incline to add some difficulty. this keeps your body from getting used to the cardio.
MuscleManMatt
Old 11-09-05, 01:29 PM

Superior Newbie
Ill definately try doing the supersets today when I go. I feel like Ive lost a ton of muscle already. They look flat and a lot smaller. Ive been told that I will quickly be able to gain my muscle back because of "muscle memory" is this true? So far ive lost about 5lbs doing the low carb/cardio routine. Do you not recommend to do a lot of cardio? At this point if I lose some muscle its not a big deal id rather cut up a little then pack it on lean again right now I feel fat.
SloppyJo
Old 11-09-05, 01:46 PM

Superior Pro
cardio should be at least 3x a week.. after a week or two bump it up to 4x
MuscleManMatt
Old 11-09-05, 01:50 PM

Superior Newbie
Sounds good. How about regaining the muscle lost so far? Ive been told I will be able to do this within a month. Is this true?
SloppyJo
Old 11-09-05, 02:52 PM

Superior Pro
Sounds good. How about regaining the muscle lost so far? Ive been told I will be able to do this within a month. Is this true?
http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/...cle-memory.htm

http://www.superiormuscle.com/vbulle...=muscle+memory
coffee-guy
Old 11-10-05, 10:32 PM

Banned
Originally Posted by SloppyJo
I'll chime in here and give a little advice and we'll see what else foghat wants to add to it
This is just my two cents...

Keep in mind that while Sloppy's advice is great for lean gains/losses I think that this should be closer to your BMR needs. I don't have the time right now to calculate your current diet plans nutritional value and I don't have the time to do the same with Sloppy's new outline but I'm assuming it's higher than 3000 and that should be a current maximum for you (without a ton of exercise and no current weight lifting routine). Go to www.fitday.com to see what your daily nutritional intake will be with this new plan and also see www.ExRx.com for further diet questions etc. Just keep in mind that if you go too low (I'd say 700+ under your BMR needs that you'll lose muscle and store fat so you may have to play with it...)

Also, while Sloppy's diet would be great for him or me remember that your current goals are a little different than ours (but it would be a great starter when you do get back into the swing of things). As for why I cut some of the protein - calories are calories - no matter where they come from if you don't need them/use them they can be stored as fat if they are in excess and it honestly looks like there's an abundance of protein in the first two plans.

P.S. - I critiqued in navy - and I'm not perfect so there could easily be more opinions better than mine out there - just use what works best for you... Oh - and to help keep muscle get Vitamin C in first thing in the morning and after your post workout shake (preferably from O.J. and not a supplement).

Quote:
7:30am MRP or oatmeal and egg whites

cut out the MRP - 4 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 1 cup oatmeal, and half a protein shake

I would stick with the recommended eggs and oats but cut the protein shake.

cut out the mayo, i used to eat tuna with mayo too, but you'll get used to it with no mayo, check the recipe sections for bouncers tuna mush

I wouldn't go this long without eating (4 hours) - I would say that this should be eaten at about 10 at the latest. Also, I can't stand tuna in the a.m. so if you're like me just go with 4-6 ounces of chicken/turkey etc.

cut out the yogurt, add in a sweet potato

Bump this up to 12 and use brown rice as an alternative to sweet potatoes if they're not your favorite.

4:30pm 50 gram whey shake with 2% milk (if you're looking to keep from gaining bf cut milk completely)

use water instead of milk, add in a half cup of oats to the shake with some flaxseed oil or fish oil

I'm going to assume that this is a post workout shake and if this is the case then...

You need a cup of oats and maybe 1/2 a protein shake (20/30 grams - maybe this can be the one you cut out at breakfast) no more than 2 hours before your workout and no less than 1 hour before your workout (1 hour would be ideal in my opinion).

As for the post-workout shake stick with the 50grams of protein but mix in oats or dextrose/malto combo (your choice of which - I personally like the dextrose as it's the only sweet treat in my entire day) and leave out any fats. Throw the flaxseed or fish oil in with a meal - not a pwo shake (just my two cents).

6:00pm

chicken, lean steak, or lean beef, with brown rice or another sweet potato and some green veggies, spinach, broccolli are my personal favorites

Good - also sub in lean turkey breast or lean fish etc (tilapia is a good choice and it's cheaper than most lean red meats).

add in a scoop of natty pb for some healthy fat

I would leave out this shake all together...

just make sure your getting low GI carbs and omega 3 fats - i would also add some greens in here

Bump this up to 8:30 and just stick with something very similar to the 6pm meal - omega 3's will either have to come from fish or supplement (fish oils etc) and the only carbs from the 6 and current meal should come from green vegetables (probably won't amount to the 45/35/20 rule but it works best imo for cutting).

not sure what 12 hr protein is but if it's casein protein then your good, if not you might want to have some cottage cheese or i personally like a can of tuna or about 4 egg whites - remember whole foods are better than protein shakes

I would cut out entirely the idea of a shake and stick with 1/2 cup of cottage cheese (at the most)
MuscleManMatt
Old 11-11-05, 01:53 PM

Superior Newbie
Thank you both for the great advice I really appreciate it! Right now im working hard on my abs and will be doing 15-30 minutes of cardio every other day. Ive already seen some great results in the first week and Im really looking forward to getting back to the gym in Decemeber. In the meantime im going to heal and read up on my nutrition to educate myself more so when I start training again Ill be able to maximize my workouts.

Matt