SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Fitness Section > Beginners
Reload this Page Newbie chin-up question

Beginners Q&A For People Just Getting Started

dsmfreek
Old 05-05-06, 01:15 PM
Newbie chin-up question

Superior Newbie
Hey guys.... I just bought a chin up bar that goes in the doorway. I can do only 4-5 pull ups and I cant even do 1 chin up. How can I work my way up to doing chin ups? I was thinking maybe just hang from the bar in chin up position for a while? Any help would be sweet. Thanks
is Offline   Reply With Quote
ROCKILLER
Old 05-05-06, 01:22 PM

Superior Pro
Do you go to a gym? Mine has 2 different machines that assist in all different variations of pullups. You can do cable pulldowns to work your way up. If you want to do it at home you could try getting a stool or a step ladder and helping yourself a little but I dont know how well that would work.
babyblues
Old 05-05-06, 01:29 PM

Superior Pro
Start at the top and lower yourself down slowly. You'll have to find something you can use to push yourself back up to the top with your legs. Like a bench or box or chair...something safe to stand on.

"Can a mortal ask questions which God finds unanswerable? Quite easily, I should think. All nonsense questions are unanswerable." C. S. Lewis
dsmfreek
Old 05-05-06, 01:30 PM

Superior Newbie
I dont have a gym membership yet. Im trying to build a home gym. So far I have:

bench press set
straight barbell
curvy barbell
lots of freeweights
dumbell set
chin up bar
and thats it.

What else should I get? Im going to acadamy this weekend. I want a home gym that has variety and will fit all my bodybuilding needs
dsmfreek
Old 05-05-06, 01:35 PM

Superior Newbie
Originally Posted by babyblues
Start at the top and lower yourself down slowly. You'll have to find something you can use to push yourself back up to the top with your legs. Like a bench or box or chair...something safe to stand on.

I just tried that...I think it will work. Thanks guys :cool:
ROCKILLER
Old 05-05-06, 01:41 PM

Superior Pro
You might want to look into getting something that you can use to do squats. Do you have anything at home to do cardio?
dsmfreek
Old 05-05-06, 01:54 PM

Superior Newbie
I thought I could just use my straight barbell for squats? Also my buddy has a treadmill in his garage he would sell for cheap. I might pick that up.
ROCKILLER
Old 05-05-06, 02:02 PM

Superior Pro
you do but you need a way to have it up there to get under it. You may not be able to squat much now but soon you wont be able to just lift up the bar and set it on your shoulders, if thats what you do. Tou may be able to get something that attaches to a wall that sticks out to hold the bar but it would have to be strong as hell. Squats are perfect for a home gym though because you arent going to have all the other fancy machines to work your legs.
dsmfreek
Old 05-05-06, 02:19 PM

Superior Newbie
I might fab/weld something up. Do squats help your lower back? Ive had lower back problems since I was 18. Alot of it has to do with me being a tall skinny dude (6'1 158lbs). Sit ups? maybe? sorry for all the subject changes...I figure why not ask all my questions in one thread rather than make a bunch of other threads.

Last edited by dsmfreek; 05-05-06 at 02:45 PM.
go Yankees
Old 05-05-06, 02:55 PM

Superior Pro
um, just keep doing them, try 4 sets of them each workout...for me, I just did them and did them until I could do a lot

"He may be a great bodybuilder but I personally think he's a moron. Have you ever heard this guy talk? He sounds like a complete hillbilly moron when he speaks. He should just pose and never speak" -- Lmg2701, on Ronnie
Scrumhalf
Old 05-05-06, 03:46 PM

What is the difference between a pullup and a chinup? I always thought they referred to the same thing. Is is the position of the palms - supinated vs. pronated?
is Online   Reply With Quote
swollpatroll
Old 05-05-06, 06:03 PM

Banned
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
What is the difference between a pullup and a chinup? I always thought they referred to the same thing. Is is the position of the palms - supinated vs. pronated?
For some one who uses such big words you don't know much do you. palms away from you is a pull up. i think you can figure the rest out.
Scrumhalf
Old 05-05-06, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by swollpatroll
For some one who uses such big words you don't know much do you. palms away from you is a pull up. i think you can figure the rest out.
That was rude and uncalled for. It was a simple question and all I wanted was a simple answer. Moreover, pronate and supinate are not "big words" - they are very common in the fitness world.

What is it about the internet that causes people to indulge in such unprovoked boorishness?
Shibby
Old 05-05-06, 08:38 PM

Superior Admiral

You need to start thinking more before you speak. There has been a few posts the last few days where you seem to just be spouting shit.
swollpatroll
Old 05-06-06, 11:43 AM

Banned
i just don't like people who get there workout programs from some mens fitnass mag. You seem to be one of those people. obviously you are upset by my choice of words sorry for that but the difference between a pullup and a chinup is very commonly known in the fitness world. Unless you do all your workouts on a ball. shibby we both know that this statement is b.s. PM me if you have anything to say to me. once again i am sorry for being rude but it just rubbed me the wrong way.
Shibby
Old 05-06-06, 12:05 PM

Superior Admiral
I don't need to call you out through a PM. You did it openly to Scrumhalf for a simple legitament question. Now you are also implying that he's not serious about fitness(complete speculation) because he gets his workout from a magazine.

Here's another one that you said to MarcusBMF

Quote:
That's endurance, not speed. Speed is gained by training your fast twitch muscle fibers.

BEEF GOT YOU ON THAT ONE.
You are trying to stir shit up for no reason. I'm not going to have it. It's as simple as shape up or ship out.

Last edited by Shibby; 05-06-06 at 12:07 PM.
Scrumhalf
Old 05-06-06, 12:06 PM

I am sure I am not as big as you are, lift as much as you do or know as much as you do but for you to come into the Beginner's Forum and castigate and make fun of someone for asking a beginner's question is, in my opinion, not cool at all.

Last edited by Scrumhalf; 05-06-06 at 12:10 PM.
swollpatroll
Old 05-06-06, 12:51 PM

Banned
swollpatroll
Old 05-06-06, 12:54 PM

Banned
alright shib i see what you are saying and that statement you quoted was in no way me trying to start shit i just agree with beef on his post.
Scrumhalf
Old 05-06-06, 01:28 PM

you have been a member for two years
Totally irrelevant.

This is going to be my last post on this topic (apologies to the OP for diverting his thread). I am forty years old and have been lifting for a long time. That does not mean that I know everything or that everything I have picked up over the years is right. That's why I read these forums (including the beginner's section) because I am always learning new or unlearning some misconceptions.
Shibby
Old 05-06-06, 02:51 PM

Superior Admiral
you have been a member for two years
and you have been a member for a month and half. Who empowered you with the vast knowledge and position in this community to go after and established, not to mention well liked, member? Stick around and pay attention to the level of respect we have for each other.
swollpatroll
Old 05-06-06, 07:04 PM

Banned
I have been empowered with the vast knowledge but I don't have the position in this community to go after an established, not to mention well liked and for that I will agree with you I was wrong but understand that my training skills are FOR REAL.
Ashop
Old 09-08-07, 05:39 PM

Superior Pro
Originally Posted by dsmfreek
Hey guys.... I just bought a chin up bar that goes in the doorway. I can do only 4-5 pull ups and I cant even do 1 chin up. How can I work my way up to doing chin ups? I was thinking maybe just hang from the bar in chin up position for a while? Any help would be sweet. Thanks

just keep doing them each week.,,set small goals and reach them. I remember when I could only do 1,,now i can rep out forever.
FrankTheTank55
Old 09-08-07, 11:22 PM

Superior Pro
Pull ups are big in the Marine Corps. Its one of three things in the Physical Fitness Test that we did every year. Here is something we used to do. Try a pyramid of pull-ups: work your way up from one pull-up, then return down the pyramid repeating in reverse order (1,2,3,4,5,6,5,4,3,2,1). If you cant do 6 just work back down from your max. Bascially just do alot of pull ups.
Nekrawulf
Old 10-11-07, 07:32 PM

Superior Pro
Do negatives, kipping, jumping, static holds.

Look into getting an elastic band to loop over your bar and under your legs to assist you.

Superior Muscle Does not promote the use of anabolic steroids without a doctor's prescription. The information shared is for learning purposes only.

The Administrators, and Moderators of this site are not liable for any injury caused by the misuse of any chemical used for bodybuilding purposes.

1) DO NOT POST ASKING FOR A SOURCE!!!!

2)If you are a source, dont bother posting for business, it is clearly against the board's policy and you will be banned.

3)DO NOT PM OR EMAIL A MOD ABOUT A SOURCE!