SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Fitness Section > Beginners
Reload this Page Back test

Beginners Q&A For People Just Getting Started

Control
Old 08-17-06, 03:33 AM
Back test

Superior Pro
If you can't get your back to grow, the first thing you need to detirmine is how strong your back is. You will not see a big, weak, back. You can have big, weak arms; you can have a big, weak chest; but you can't build a big back without some decent strength foundation. Do this:

After warm-ups, perform a set of cable rows using perfect form. You should be pulling the weight all the way into your gut without jerking the weight or leaning back. Pause for a second and control the weight during the negative portion of the rep. Slow, controlled, reps. You should be able to do your bodyweight 8 times using perfect form. If you can't, you need to work on your strength.

If you failed the back strength test, do nothing for back but cable-rows for 3 months. Don't do anything for Bi's or rear delts either. Concentrate on cable-rows and challenge yourself to get a little bit stronger each week until you reach your goal (bodyweightx8 with perfect form). Do drop sets, rest-pause sets, forced negatives, high-rep sets, low-rep sets, everything. Stick with 5-8 sets. In 3 months you should be able to do your bodyweight 8 times and your back will already be getting bigger (probably your bi's too). At that point you can start doing rack-pulls, pull-ups/downs, barbell rows, curls etc.
Old 08-17-06, 07:17 AM

VEGETARIAN
Interesting, why 8 reps with bodyweight and why cables?
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Ashop
Old 08-24-06, 07:52 PM

Superior Pro
Originally Posted by Mr incredible

Interesting indeed. I'll have to try at gym with client.
is Online   Reply With Quote
RaBia
Old 05-10-08, 09:17 PM

Superior Newbie
thanks. i think i need to do this. I guess i am cheating myself when i lean back on cable rows... this might help with the pain i have been dealing with. I've always tried to fix my back strength in various ways but i haven't had much luck.
Control
Old 05-11-08, 10:16 PM

Superior Pro
Originally Posted by Mr incredible View Post
In theory it could just as easily be pull-ups. I just prefer rows to pull-ups because you can get a better peak contraction.
ROCKETW19
Old 05-13-08, 12:13 AM

Founding Member
Originally Posted by Control View Post
In theory it could just as easily be pull-ups. I just prefer rows to pull-ups because you can get a better peak contraction.
intresting! I can do 8 pull ups no problem but I cant do 8 reps of seated cable rows with 245lbs.
3v1lj03
Old 05-13-08, 03:39 AM

Superior Amateur
Hey Control, I failed your back test today by 5 lbs because my right brachia is injured (it's a small muscle nest to the bicep) and just won't do it,:dunno: even with the brace. I am however able to do 8 pullups with both wide and narrow grips both reverse and forward grip and I can do a bent over row (different hand position) at 285 Lbs I weigh 219 lbs today. I also dead lifted 385 and 395 for reps after a long warm up. What do you think since I can't do the rows does the rest make up for it?
There's a new dawn to light our day, our day
You've gotta stay strong
You and I run
For the prize that lies ahead
We've come too far to lose our way, our way
Bouncer
Old 05-13-08, 08:13 AM

Administrator
i was able to do 11 reps using my own body weight. i don't really consider myself to be very strong or even care about strength really. i guess my back is pretty strong though.
Control
Old 05-14-08, 07:20 PM

Superior Pro
Originally Posted by 3v1lj03 View Post
Hey Control, I failed your back test today by 5 lbs because my right brachia is injured (it's a small muscle nest to the bicep) and just won't do it,:dunno: even with the brace. I am however able to do 8 pullups with both wide and narrow grips both reverse and forward grip and I can do a bent over row (different hand position) at 285 Lbs I weigh 219 lbs today. I also dead lifted 385 and 395 for reps after a long warm up. What do you think since I can't do the rows does the rest make up for it?
Sounds like you've got some decent back strength (assuming your lifts are with good form), but you really need to let that injury heal. Don't let a little injury become a chronic problem.
Konitz
Old 06-03-09, 07:57 PM

Superior Pro
I absolutely kno I can't row 235lbs 8 times, But I finally realized I am not strong 12-20 reps is wat makes me grow.
Everything posted by Konitz is fictitious. Konitz does not promote the use of anabolic steroids, or any other drug without a doctor's prescription. The information shared is for learning purposes only.

“For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer.” -Arnold

"It is not length of life, but rather quality of life."

"Don't ever argue with an idiot; first, they bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
Bouncer
Old 06-03-09, 08:02 PM

Administrator
Originally Posted by Konitz View Post
I absolutely kno I can't row 235lbs 8 times, But I finally realized I am not strong 12-20 reps is wat makes me grow.
where did that come from bro? this old ass thread. :P