SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Fitness Section > Beginners
Reload this Page Home Gym Requirements

Beginners Q&A For People Just Getting Started

CWIL
Old 12-08-07, 10:08 AM
Home Gym Requirements

Superior Newbie
For those of us who do not have access to a commercial gym, what are the basic equipment requirements to get serious about BB? I have been contemplating buying a Titan or Hoist PTS. Any suggestions? I think a forum section that discussed equipment would be helpful. Maybe it could even list discounted sites with the best available equipment....Just a thought.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Bouncer
Old 12-08-07, 10:49 AM

Administrator
Home Gym's can be expensive if you want to make it as good as a regular gym. Any reason you cant make it to a regular gym? None around you?

You would obviously need equipment for all the basic movements. Squat Rack, Bench, DB's, leg press, adjustable seats, ect..
is Online   Reply With Quote
CWIL
Old 12-08-07, 12:39 PM

Superior Newbie
I've recently moved to a rural area...I could commute to a gym but Im afraid I'll lose to much time and eventually skip workouts, but I have a garage Im closing in to make a workout/play room.
YellowJacket
Old 12-08-07, 01:03 PM

Controversial Supplement Guru
A Power Rack would be a good place to start... you can get your bench & squats out of the way with that. I pulley system would be necessary for lats, tri's, etc. Obviously free weights and appropriate bars. A dip station in my opinion is necessary.

I agree w/ Bouncer, thats going to add up in the terms of money.
Old 12-08-07, 02:43 PM

Administrator
CWIL, how much money are you looking to spend.
CWIL
Old 12-08-07, 04:35 PM

Superior Newbie
About 4-5k. Any opinions on a smith since I will not have a partner to spot?
CWIL
Old 12-08-07, 04:38 PM

Superior Newbie
I already have a full set of dumbells, a treadmill, bike and several bars. I would like to find some used equipment if I can. I've been on craigslist and ebay.
Bouncer
Old 12-08-07, 05:10 PM

Administrator
ahh, well 4-5k can definitely get it done, especially since you already have some stuff. Have you checked out this place? http://www.usedgymequipment.com/
CWIL
Old 12-08-07, 05:52 PM

Superior Newbie
Yes, cool site but I would need to purchase in the Dallas area. Not sure if a smith is the right choice?
Nekrawulf
Old 12-14-07, 08:40 PM

Superior Pro

-Olympic Barbell or 2

-Olympic Iron weights or rubber composition bumpers.

-DB set or adjustable DBs

-Portable adjustable flat bench

This is the bare minimum IMO

Superior Muscle Does not promote the use of anabolic steroids without a doctor's prescription. The information shared is for learning purposes only.

The Administrators, and Moderators of this site are not liable for any injury caused by the misuse of any chemical used for bodybuilding purposes.

1) DO NOT POST ASKING FOR A SOURCE!!!!

2)If you are a source, dont bother posting for business, it is clearly against the board's policy and you will be banned.

3)DO NOT PM OR EMAIL A MOD ABOUT A SOURCE!
jakejohnson
Old 01-29-08, 01:48 AM

Superior Newbie
how bout treadmill isn't it necessary to save time as well??
Old 01-29-08, 10:27 PM

Superior Pro
Originally Posted by jakejohnson View Post
how bout treadmill isn't it necessary to save time as well??
he said he has a treadmill, and I dont know how it would necessarily save time but it is nice to have some cardio options.
Timber
Old 02-10-08, 04:33 PM

Superior Pro
I might be able to add a point of view as I have put together several home gyms over the years. Space is always the problem. Power rack goes without saying as the most important piece. Dumbbells are the next most useful pieces but also the most space consuming. Though they are pricey I strongly recommend Powerblocks or some kind of dial wt. These days there are several manufactures. In the end you will spend more on individual dumbbells than what powerblocks cost. Space is the real trade off though
Control
Old 02-11-08, 07:34 AM

Superior Pro
I wouldn't waste money or space on a smith machine. A trap-bar would be nice. You'll need a dip/pull-up station. As long as you can bench, squat, do pull-ups, dips, rows, deads, and military presses you should be fine. The thing I would miss most would be cable rows, I like being able to row 330 pounds without having to support the weight with my lower back....
Old 02-12-08, 10:30 AM

Superior Newbie
Just pay Control to come out to you. 330 rows? Dam control I'm finally doing 260 for 6 reps and one arm rows 130 to 150 for 4, not bad for a man whos had 2 shoulder surgeries. I'm catching up to yea.
Nekrawulf
Old 02-18-08, 09:06 AM

Superior Pro
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I might be able to add a point of view as I have put together several home gyms over the years. Space is always the problem. Power rack goes without saying as the most important piece. Dumbbells are the next most useful pieces but also the most space consuming. Though they are pricey I strongly recommend Powerblocks or some kind of dial wt. These days there are several manufactures. In the end you will spend more on individual dumbbells than what powerblocks cost. Space is the real trade off though

Power racks are so large though> why not go with a press squat stand setup that has a much smaller footprint?

dumbells dont take up THAT much space. If space is an issue... stack them in a corner on the floor.

This was the very beginnings of my home gym. was around 3k (maybe less) for everything... including the flooring. I have much more equipment now though.

CrossFitAlpha - The Beginning

Last edited by Nekrawulf; 02-18-08 at 09:09 AM.
Timber
Old 03-30-08, 08:07 AM

Superior Pro
Originally Posted by Nekrawulf View Post
Power racks are so large though> why not go with a press squat stand setup that has a much smaller footprint?

dumbells dont take up THAT much space. If space is an issue... stack them in a corner on the floor.

This was the very beginnings of my home gym. was around 3k (maybe less) for everything... including the flooring. I have much more equipment now though.

CrossFitAlpha - The Beginning
Well I guess safety relay, I know I workout alone as I think many do with a home gym.

By the way are those stall matt's or something else. I am going to redo my gym in another room for more space. I would love to see the rest of your gym
nda246
Old 03-30-08, 07:23 PM

Superior Newbie
I like a larger rack for sumo-deads and wide squats. As far as dumbells go you can handles large enough to hold 6-10lb plates each side (120lbs).

A rack, pull-up bar, DB handle, weights, olympic bars, dip bars are all you need. A decent cable machine would be nice for some movements but its nothing that couldnt be duplicated with free weights.

Dont get a smith machine. If you dont have a spotter just place the spot pins high enough that you can just roll the bar off your back on to them. Thats what there for. The smith machine expensive and doesnt recruit the same amount of muscle mass as free squats.
Nekrawulf
Old 03-31-08, 11:05 AM

Superior Pro
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Well I guess safety relay, I know I workout alone as I think many do with a home gym.

By the way are those stall matt's or something else. I am going to redo my gym in another room for more space. I would love to see the rest of your gym
Yup,

3/4 inch stall mats from Tractor Supply Company.

Ill try to get some updated pics
Timber
Old 03-31-08, 03:47 PM

Superior Pro
Yea that is what I was going to use, I am putting in a full bath in there now so it will be right in the gym.
Kiev
Old 04-01-08, 07:43 AM

Superior Newbie
Relocate. Real profesional BB's use a couple gyms and there hone gym. Your gonna be more motivated when you see other people lifting specially if you ever compete.
parabody
Old 04-10-08, 11:17 AM

Superior Amateur
i have a parabody rack, dumbells, bars, i got the pulley attachment on it, dip attachment it has a bar to do pull ups on, and my bench is adjustable with an attachment for leg curls and extensions that attach to the pulley system i love this stuff for home and it didnt cost to much about 3k brand new i already had a treadmill and life fitness x9 eliptical, i got parabody equipment and love it, i also purchased about 8 4x8 rubber matts 3/4 inch thick to save my floor sometimes i drop weight but do some research stay away from the crap machines from dicks sports authority etc find places like omni fitness key2fitness or lifefitness stores around you and you love them, theres also a new company im selling some of their equipment called raptor from promaxima and there stuff isnt that expensive its industrial strength but cheaper. check it out
Raptor Muscle Machines: Homepage

maybe i can look into some discounts from the gym for you where i sell this stuff and let yo uknow about shipping all there orders come out of dallas so its not that far from you
Nekrawulf
Old 05-10-08, 03:39 PM

Superior Pro