SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Fitness Section > Beginners
Reload this Page Need help gaining chest

Beginners Q&A For People Just Getting Started

Ultrecht
Old 07-12-11, 07:47 AM
Need help gaining chest

Superior Newbie
I noticed that I stopped growing at a certain point but my weights are moving up. I backed off of the bar for a bit, went to dumbells to work on my form and cut my weights back to about 50% until I was stable. I added cables for everyother chest day. I have heard conflicting stories about gaining chest size. Is it high weight low rep, or 80% full sets? No matter what I lift, I get rubbery the next day but I am not getting sore anymore. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
BEAST
Old 07-12-11, 07:53 AM

Founding Member
What's your weight and body fat? Gain some weight. If you are staying at the same body weight you can only put on so much size and gains will stop at some point.
is Online   Reply With Quote
Bouncer
Old 07-12-11, 07:53 AM

Administrator
Don't do anything for chest for a few weeks. Then go in and do every set till failure. You will be sore and it may be what you need to get past your issue.
dna9488
Old 07-12-11, 01:44 PM

Superior Admiral
Change up your training style for chest. Try to attack your chest a different way, instead of using barbells, cables, bars, try to dip. Add in an extra set or take a set out and increase your weight. Or do a drop set as a your last set. There are a lot of variations, just play around and see what works.
Ultrecht
Old 07-21-11, 01:48 AM

Superior Newbie
I appreciate the advice. I have been at this for more than 7 months now. The last time I checked my BFP was 16. I am 5'11" and fluxuate between 195 and 200. I thought I was doing 80% 4 sets of 10 with 65lb dbs. I went up to 75lb 4 sets of 6 and I am still able to complete the sets. I will try the drop set and keep going up in weight. I see a lot of adds for suppliments, but when I read the reviews, all I see is people warning others not to waste their time and money. I understand that most people that immediatly go to suppliments before they build a base are expecting way too much out of them. But is there anything legitimate out there? SDI Labs? Something discrete and powerful? I have no experience with enhancing suppliments. I take about 150 grams of protein with food and shakes daily. I see people in the gym, usually they hang out in pairs and they are fucking huge. I don't want to look that big but I can't help but think that shit isn't natural. I am a higher rank in the military and don't need the heat.
redback
Old 07-21-11, 02:44 AM

Founding Member
I would forget about cables. Stick to flat bench for size.
Scrumhalf
Old 07-21-11, 09:44 AM

Don't waste your time and money with supplements - the only one that will do you any good is protein powder. Just make sure you are getting enough protein and enough calories. And keep your reps in the 10-12 range.
Bouncer
Old 07-21-11, 09:50 AM

Administrator
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf View Post
the only one that will do you any good is protein powder.
creatine is a proven legit supp also.
Scrumhalf
Old 07-21-11, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
creatine is a proven legit supp also.
Fair enough.... protein powder and creatine then. I was a bit nervous suggesting creatine because I am not sure what the military regulations are for creatine. I know that guys get thrown out of Navy SEAL BUD/S training for having/consuming creatine.
Bouncer
Old 07-21-11, 10:01 AM

Administrator
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf View Post
I know that guys get thrown out of Navy SEAL BUD/S training for having/consuming creatine.
really?
Scrumhalf
Old 07-21-11, 11:22 AM

Yep. I was watching a video on BUD/S training and the instructors clearly tell the candidates that they'll get thrown out of the program if they are found to have creatine on them. Now I don't know if they were tested for it (don't even know if there is a test for stuff like creatine) or whether they just were talking about a sweep of their barracks.
Bouncer
Old 07-21-11, 11:40 AM

Administrator
Scrumhalf
Old 07-21-11, 12:11 PM

I am guessing they just didn't want having a situation like that ephedra situation with the baseball player keeling over, so they just did a blanket ban on all supplements.

After all BUD/S places uncommon stress on the body with long days, very little sleep and crazy demands on calorie and water intake and who knows what the hell the effects of ephedra/ginseng/etc. etc. has on a stressed out body.
Ashop
Old 07-26-11, 08:39 PM
Lightbulb

Superior Pro
Originally Posted by Ultrecht View Post
I noticed that I stopped growing at a certain point but my weights are moving up. I backed off of the bar for a bit, went to dumbells to work on my form and cut my weights back to about 50% until I was stable. I added cables for everyother chest day. I have heard conflicting stories about gaining chest size. Is it high weight low rep, or 80% full sets? No matter what I lift, I get rubbery the next day but I am not getting sore anymore. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I would have to see you do the movements to make an opinion on what you need to do.
Ultrecht
Old 08-04-11, 04:17 AM

Superior Newbie
The reason those guys get booted out from Spec Ops training is not because the legality of suppliments. Of course some of them are illegal. The main reason is that they need to retain water. From what I understand, due to the amount of water they recieve, they can't just find water any and everywhere. So they tend to dehydrate much faster than those who don't take it. People have been known to die in Ranger School, the Spec Ops Q course, and Navy Seals Qual courses.

I have been having a major problem lately with recovery. I noticed that about 12 hours after I work out, and am really tired, lethargic and dizzy. I did some research, and it said that excercise might be the cause, but that too much protein can cause your body to fight back. I looked up the recommended dose for my size and it says 72g which I get from food daily plus more. Then I take in about 104g through suppliments.

I went to flat bench (incline, bench, decline) by the way and I am using cables with low weights from 6 different angles. I also do shoulders and tri's on the same day. The next day I am doing Bi's and back. The third day, I am doing squats, extensions, contractions and calve raises. I end every work out with different ab burnout excercises and 45 minutes on the stair climber to burn off my waist.

I am not saying that I want to give up but Jesus H. Rodriguez, I am not seeing any improvement. I just see a pool of sweat surrounding me in the gym, I crash for hours, wake up fucked up, take a scoop of Jack3d and hit the gym again. My shit is starting to tar up badly.
Scrumhalf
Old 08-04-11, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ultrecht View Post
The reason those guys get booted out from Spec Ops training is not because the legality of suppliments. Of course some of them are illegal. The main reason is that they need to retain water. From what I understand, due to the amount of water they recieve, they can't just find water any and everywhere. So they tend to dehydrate much faster than those who don't take it. People have been known to die in Ranger School, the Spec Ops Q course, and Navy Seals Qual courses.
Agreed and I think that's what I said. I think the military just doesn't want to deal with the potential medical complications. I didn't know what your MOS was, that's why I didn't throw creatine out there.
Ultrecht
Old 08-04-11, 10:39 AM

Superior Newbie
Sorry Scrum. Just adding to the discussion.
Scrumhalf
Old 08-04-11, 10:41 AM

Dexter
Old 04-17-12, 01:39 AM

Banned
In the beginning most of the bodybuilder face the same problem and thy think that their chest is stop growing and the muscle of chest not getting strong. At this stage he has to show patience and never skip his routine, I suggest him to consult with hos personal trainer because he is the person who can recommend you best tips.
FitnessBrat
Old 04-17-12, 01:41 AM

Founding Member
Juiced1
Old 04-17-12, 08:24 AM

Banned
Originally Posted by FitnessBrat View Post
Yes, always consult with hos
So, what should he do to grow his chest?
FitnessBrat
Old 04-17-12, 09:44 AM

Founding Member
Originally Posted by Juiced1

So, what should he do to grow his chest?
Lighten up, that's a spammer
Scrumhalf
Old 04-17-12, 11:38 AM

I think FB means he should get pec implants.
Juiced1
Old 04-17-12, 05:11 PM

Banned
Originally Posted by FitnessBrat View Post
Lighten up, that's a spammer
I was trying to make a joke ya know - consult with hos, as if he was consulting with you....
FitnessBrat
Old 04-17-12, 06:34 PM

Founding Member
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
I was trying to make a joke ya know - consult with hos, as if he was consulting with you....

:elephant:
Bouncer
Old 04-17-12, 07:18 PM

Administrator
Originally Posted by Juiced1

Bwahahaha
wheyman
Old 04-18-12, 11:18 AM

Superior Pro
I'm not big by any means, but here is some stuff that worked for me.

1. Don't get caught up in only weight increases. For instance, if you do 205lbs for 3 x 5, that's a total of 3,075 lbs lifted for that movement. If you do 185lbs for 3 x 10, that's a total of 5,550 lbs lifted for that one movement. Don't snub rep increases for weight.

2. As usual, mix it up. If you've been doing high rep stuff of a while, switch to some low rep stuff for a while and the other way around as well.

3. Focus on squats and deads too. If your squat increases, your deadlift goes up. If your deadlift goes up, your bench will increase. However, I've never heard of bench helping squats or deads.

4. Take a break and recharge. In the gym, you should be chasing performance, not fatigue.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-18-12, 11:22 AM

Administrator
GrowthMan
Old 04-21-12, 11:18 AM

Superior Pro
He is an IFBB pro who just won 3rd at the 2012 Flex Pro. He is also a bb prep coach that trains many atheletes.

Turbo3000
Old 05-16-12, 09:18 PM

Founding Member
Originally Posted by GrowthMan View Post
This is Fouad Abiad aka "HOSS"
He is an IFBB pro who just won 3rd at the 2012 Flex Pro. He is also a bb prep coach that trains many atheletes.

My chest grew just looking at the pic. Thanks G Man.
jadenmiller
Old 02-09-14, 11:32 PM

Superior Newbie
I feel to get that perfect chest, you need a variety of angles and exercises to give proper workout to your chest muscles. Figure out different chest workouts and try them for 10-15 days and look for diff...
Ashop
Old 04-19-14, 09:57 PM
Lightbulb

Superior Pro
Originally Posted by BEAST View Post
What's your weight and body fat? Gain some weight. If you are staying at the same body weight you can only put on so much size and gains will stop at some point.
I have to agree with BEAST. I would up your calories to add more size.
laarrrysplinter
Old 05-14-14, 01:16 AM
How to Increase Breast Size

Banned
2-Do push-ups
3-Do dumbbell chest presses
4-Do isometric chest contractions
5-Gain weight in general
david78
Old 05-19-15, 12:15 AM

Superior Newbie
When do workout you should take proper guide, because exercise not done equal line ment, you can't see result.
Deadlift605
Old 05-21-15, 09:33 AM

Superior Newbie
How is your form, are you stimulating your pecs or are your front delts and triceps doing the work? Also, try stretching, deep stretches, breaking up any tightness you may have in your tie ins to give you more range of motion. Look at DC Training, when I competed in BB, my upper body was a far out shined by my lower body..I started incorporating his stretches and it really helped. Try a deep tissue massage, esp in the outer pec area...I have had ART done in that area, drenched in sweat and almost tears from how tight everything was in there. It may be more than just exercises and weights, more functional stuff. Good Luck.
Abdullah
Old 12-06-15, 01:20 PM

Banned
If you want a physique thatís muscular and chiseled yet proportioned, symmetrical and aesthetically pleasing, then building up your chest muscles should be one of your primary goals. There are no shortcuts to huge chest muscles, but there is a right way and a wrong way to do things. Internet has significantly reduced the quality of the information on this subject, as everyone seems to be an expert.

When it comes to the human body, nothing says strength and power quite like a pumped, muscular chest. But swollen, rock-hard pecs can be notoriously difficult to develop, particularly if youíre one of those ectomorph types who have trouble putting on weight. No matter your body type however, you can indeed build a sculpted, powerful chest with a well-designed chest workout protocol.

Combine that with a diet optimized towards packing on muscle, and youíll soon have a T-shirt splitting chest thatís the envy of everyone at your gym. Below youíll find several great exercise and nutrition tips you can use to help see you through to your goal. But this is all talk, a talk that you probably heard it a thousand times before, so lets get started with these actual tips!
chuckz28
Old 12-06-15, 01:32 PM

Founding Member