SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Fitness Section > Beginners
Reload this Page Where To Start???

Beginners Q&A For People Just Getting Started

GTLinFL
Old 01-22-13, 11:31 PM
Question Where To Start???

Superior Newbie

I'm new to the forum and in need of direction,insight,help, you name it, I probably need it, lol. I don't even know if I'm posting this in the right place. I had really gotten serious about working out a couple years ago and I thought I was doing well. I went from 160lbs to 185 at my biggest point and had explosive strength and speed. Then comes the bad part... In Sept of 2011 I was diagnosed with Severe Ulcerative Colitis and almost died from it 2 different times. I went from 185 down to 134lbs inside of 5wks. I had Severe internal bleeding and infection in my colon. Well, since then it has been an uphill extreme fight to get mostly stabilized and put any weight back on. My dilemma is this. I WAN'T SO DESPERATELY TO BE BACK WHERE I WAS pre-sickness, and be on my way to where I wanted to be which was in the 190-200lb range or bigger. Its is harder than ever now to get any gains in the gym due to mal-absorbtion of some nutrients. I've been thinking long and hard about getting good workout gear, but am clueless as to where to start or if it will even benefit me. Any insight would be a great help...
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Bouncer
Old 01-22-13, 11:44 PM

Administrator
Are you limited to what you can eat? For example what cant you do compared to a person without your disease. Give me a bit of an idea so i can try and sort of tweak my advice to best fit your situation.
is Online   Reply With Quote
GTLinFL
Old 01-22-13, 11:51 PM

Superior Newbie
I can't eat red meat, digestion process hurts to much. I can eat beans, dark and light red kidney beans. I eat the heck out of chicken, It seems to be mostly of what I can eat that doesn't hurt. I can take protein shakes like the myo-plex 42g protein type, no more than 2 a day at best. Little to no fiber. Before i got sick i would take in 180-200gr of protein per day, all food based, and then drink 2-3 shakes on top of that. Its just way to hard to digest that much food now...
Bouncer
Old 01-23-13, 12:09 AM

Administrator
I will get back to this thread in the morning bro. getting a bit late and i dont want to give you bs advice because i am tired.
Scrumhalf
Old 01-23-13, 12:10 AM

If you can eat chicken, you pretty much have the food side of the equation covered. How many calories can you handle right now? Have you done a tally to see what your body can handle? Can you eat 2000 calories with 800 calories of protein, 800 calories of carbs and 400 calories of fat? That's a 40/40/20 split with 200g of protein, 200g of carbs and about 45g of fats. BTW, post your age/height/weight/gender.
GTLinFL
Old 01-23-13, 12:16 AM

Superior Newbie
Thanks for getting back to my ?'s. I respect not wanting to give bs advice. Right now it's all trial and error. I'm sure I could bump the calories. I know I'm not taking in anywhere near that 2000 now. So, no on the tally at this time. I'm 34yr old Male, 5'11" and 165lbs, now, but the weight fluctuates weekly. Thanks again.
Scrumhalf
Old 01-23-13, 12:24 AM

Best advice to you is to not change anything right now. For 1 week, record everything you eat using something like fitday.com. If you eat packaged food, the packaging should have info. If you eat stuff like rice, fitday should have per cup info. Add it all up and be honest. Make sure you include dressing, oil added, etc. See how many calories you take in.

At your age/ht/wt, assuming you are lightly active, you need to be eating about 2400 calories just to maintain. So obviously you need to figure out how many calories you are taking in currently and then make adjustments. Measure everything for 1 week and divide by 7 to get a reasonable average daily intake. After you get this estimate done, we can help you craft an eating and exercise schedule.
FitnessBrat
Old 01-23-13, 08:39 AM

Founding Member
Slow and steady is going to be your best advice. I have digestion and malabsorption issues that don't even compare to what you are dealing with, so I feel for you. You sound excited to get moving, but it is going to be so important for you to go about this very slowly. It gets frustrating, you say screw it, you eat different things, and now you're stuck not knowing what did what. I know, because I do the same thing. :wacko:

You can eat chicken, so I assume you can eat turkey, too. You don't need red meat. What about fish?

I know certain vegetables are harder to digest than others, and probably the fiber doesn't help you. Have you learned of any greens that you handle well?

Carbs. Some nightshades cause people big problems. Do you have trouble with sweet potatoes? You haven't mentioned rice, but brown is much harder to digest than white. How about quinoa? It is a smaller "grain". Oats are hit or miss.

You mentioned you can handle certain protein powders. I personally can't handle milk well, but plant proteins are great. Have you tried any of those? They will probably be a lot easier on you.

I would avoid sugars for now, those seems do be a problem for people with digestive issues, as well.

Do you take any probiotics or anything? I know some people swear by them. I personally found the ones I was taking to be making things worse.
Bouncer
Old 01-23-13, 09:17 AM

Administrator
Scrum and FB pretty much covered it, not much more i can add.

only thing i will say is that i noticed you said "getting some workout gear". i would suggest you stay away from any drug at least until you get your diet figured out and how to eat with your disease and still making gaines.
Scrumhalf
Old 01-23-13, 09:47 AM

I took it to mean he was going to get some new T-shirts and shorts...
GTLinFL
Old 01-23-13, 10:26 AM

Superior Newbie
Yes Scrum, I did get new gym shorts and long sleeve t-shirts. And they didn't work. As for that matter. I bought the beat down fight gear and thats just what I got, LOL!!!
GTLinFL
Old 01-23-13, 11:13 AM

Superior Newbie
ok, where to start. Once again, thank you all for your input and advice.
Slow and steady, I understand. but the problem with that is I am impatient... Yes unfortunately I do say screw it sometimes and eat whatever. But here is where we differ, I remember real quick what screwed up my system.

Here is the other problem. Where "normal" people take anywhere from 12-24hrs to digest food, my system does it in 6-8hrs. sometimes less depending on the food. So I pretty well know what I ate all the time. And alot of food cause pain. And to be honest with all of you, I'm getting quite sick of eating chicken, turkey and ham. Chicken used to be my favorite food and I always said I could eat it 7 days a wk without a problem. But now that I have to, I hate it!

As far as food I can eat goes...
I've tried fish before and it hurt. Fatty foods kill me, and yes fish ARE fatty, lol.
I can eat Broccolli and light amounts of tomato's and green leafy lettuce. Carrots are ok. Haven't tried sweet potatoes.

The only rice i can handle is white rice as well as white bread.
Quinoa? Lol, never heard of it until, well Dr. Oz a couple wks ago, and now you FB. Oatmeal, I LOVE!!! Oatmeal, I can not eat.

Protein Drinks: The ready made myoplex shakes, haven't tried the mix it yourself kind. I too can only handle milk in small quantities.

Plant Proteins: Overall, gluten does not sit well. I know broccoli is a plant protein but its an exception. Alot of plant proteins would be ok but the problem is the amounts of fiber that come with it.

I don't eat anything with alot of sugar in it, unless its natural sugars like from fruits. Apples, Strawberries, Bananas, you get the idea.

Probiotics: Can't do them at all. They are what contributed to my going into the hospital the 1st time.

Another problem, I now have this huge mental block that I'm having a hard time getting past. Alot of it stems from knowing where i was in the gym before and only being able to do less than half of what I could before, now. And that just makes me feel like an idiot. I try to tell myself it's ok considering everything that my body has been thru. Then there is the self-esteem problem that I now have, that I never had before. I can't stand to look at myself in the mirror, it jsut really pisses me off and is disheartening and it all plays off each other and makes me want to do nothing. I used to LOVE going to the gym. It's all I thought about doing while I was at work and couldn't wait to get off work to go. Now, all these problems, combined with the meds, make me want to do nothing and can't stand to look at myself...
GTLinFL
Old 01-23-13, 11:39 AM

Superior Newbie
Something else I forgot to mention. Due to the meds I take, it is very hard for me to eat. They're an apetite killer, pain killer and well, a motivation killer for that matter.
Scrumhalf
Old 01-23-13, 12:16 PM

White rice is fine. Quinoa is good. Stop watching Dr. Oz.

I realize you feel like you are a shadow of where you were and that can play on your mind. Stop comparing yourself to where you were before, or to others. The old "you" is someone else. Put on some music, get a notebook to keep track of progress in the gym and measure yourself only against your present self. See if week to week, you can improve either the number or reps or the weight or both. Zone out, don't look at others in the gym. The only person who matters is yourself. What you went through sounds rough, but hang in there. One day at a time.
FitnessBrat
Old 01-23-13, 04:06 PM

Founding Member
Originally Posted by GTLinFL View Post
ok, where to start. Once again, thank you all for your input and advice.
Slow and steady, I understand. but the problem with that is I am impatient... Yes unfortunately I do say screw it sometimes and eat whatever. But here is where we differ, I remember real quick what screwed up my system.

Here is the other problem. Where "normal" people take anywhere from 12-24hrs to digest food, my system does it in 6-8hrs. sometimes less depending on the food. So I pretty well know what I ate all the time. And alot of food cause pain. And to be honest with all of you, I'm getting quite sick of eating chicken, turkey and ham. Chicken used to be my favorite food and I always said I could eat it 7 days a wk without a problem. But now that I have to, I hate it!

As far as food I can eat goes...
I've tried fish before and it hurt. Fatty foods kill me, and yes fish ARE fatty, lol.
I can eat Broccolli and light amounts of tomato's and green leafy lettuce. Carrots are ok. Haven't tried sweet potatoes.

The only rice i can handle is white rice as well as white bread.
Quinoa? Lol, never heard of it until, well Dr. Oz a couple wks ago, and now you FB. Oatmeal, I LOVE!!! Oatmeal, I can not eat.

Protein Drinks: The ready made myoplex shakes, haven't tried the mix it yourself kind. I too can only handle milk in small quantities.

Plant Proteins: Overall, gluten does not sit well. I know broccoli is a plant protein but its an exception. Alot of plant proteins would be ok but the problem is the amounts of fiber that come with it.

I don't eat anything with alot of sugar in it, unless its natural sugars like from fruits. Apples, Strawberries, Bananas, you get the idea.

Probiotics: Can't do them at all. They are what contributed to my going into the hospital the 1st time.

Another problem, I now have this huge mental block that I'm having a hard time getting past. Alot of it stems from knowing where i was in the gym before and only being able to do less than half of what I could before, now. And that just makes me feel like an idiot. I try to tell myself it's ok considering everything that my body has been thru. Then there is the self-esteem problem that I now have, that I never had before. I can't stand to look at myself in the mirror, it jsut really pisses me off and is disheartening and it all plays off each other and makes me want to do nothing. I used to LOVE going to the gym. It's all I thought about doing while I was at work and couldn't wait to get off work to go. Now, all these problems, combined with the meds, make me want to do nothing and can't stand to look at myself...

I guess I'm confused about what you're asking, based on this post. You say you don't want to be patient and that you already know what you can/can't eat. Although you proceeded to list things you've never tried.

And unfortunately, yes I DO understand things like faster digestion, etc. I am in no way comparing myself to you, but I do share some similarities. If I eat something I shouldn't - I usually know fairly quick.

Plant proteins (the ones I am speaking of) do not contain gluten. I am on a gluten free diet, so I can say this with assurance. They also do not contain a lot of fiber. I'd highly recommend you at least try them before you discount them.

The diet gets old, I get that. But you are going to mentally have to take a new approach to it. You can't say "I'm tired of eating chicken" - you don't have a choice. Your food intake is fuel for your body, probably not so much anything all that "enjoyable" to you. If you want to get back to where you were, you're just going to have to stick to it. There are many ways to jazz up chicken and rice - you will find them once you get serious and start looking/experimenting.
Bouncer
Old 01-23-13, 05:17 PM

Administrator
Originally Posted by FitnessBrat View Post
I guess I'm confused about what you're asking
looks to me like he is saying, "thanks for the diet advice guys but eating chicken all the time is to hard and i would rather get on some steroids".

am i wrong GTLinFL?
GTLinFL
Old 01-23-13, 06:40 PM

Superior Newbie
I guess I'm confused about what you're asking, based on this post. You say you don't want to be patient and that you already know what you can/can't eat. Although you proceeded to list things you've never tried.
WHOA!!! It seems as things are getting a little misunderstood. The only thing I listed that I've never tried was quinoa and sweet potatoes. I did however say that all the fiber that comes with vegetables, with a few exceptions, kills me, literally. I'm not discounting anything that I haven't tried. I'm the last person to ever not want to try something new. I love trying new things, eating new foods, doing things different than everyone else, or doing things that everyone else is to scared or reserved to try.

I've been trying for the past year, all kinds of different things to try to get me back to where I was and take me beyond that, and nothing seems to work. I'm not saying I've tried everything, because I haven't. All I know to go off of is what I used to do before, that got me where I was. Which was a healthy diet, and extremely hard work. But the problem I'm having now is that it seems like nothing is working for me. I get stronger, sure, but no great gains like before. So I'm not discounting or writing off anything that any of you have said and I am taking everything in to account and will be trying it.

TB: Yes you are wrong. Eating chicken all the time is not to hard, but it does get tiring when that is the only great form of food protein that I know I can take in. Furthermore, I have never been one to shy away from hard work, or doing things the hard way. And, no, I would not rather get on some "steroids" and say hell with the rest.

What I'm looking for is guidance, and answers. I know I'm not alone with this sickness, disease, or whatever else you want to call it. And I can't possibly be the only person who has it and has struggled at the gym to put on massive weight gains and muscle mass. I just don't know what to do, where to go, who to talk to, what to take, what not to take, things to try, things to avoid, supplement this, forget that, as well as far many more questions I have...

If I have offended anyone, I truly apologize.

I feel lost with all the question and no answers.:(
FitnessBrat
Old 01-23-13, 07:03 PM

Founding Member
I'm not offended, it just felt like you asked for some direction or suggestions and discounted them at the same time. It also seemed like maybe you were confusing certain products - such as the plant protein having gluten/fiber. No worries.

Are there certain things that are actually damaging to your body, or is it basically up to you to decide what you can "deal" with? (I hope that made sense)
GTLinFL
Old 01-23-13, 08:32 PM

Superior Newbie
I'm not offended, it just felt like you asked for some direction or suggestions and discounted them at the same time. It also seemed like maybe you were confusing certain products - such as the plant protein having gluten/fiber. No worries.

Are there certain things that are actually damaging to your body, or is it basically up to you to decide what you can "deal" with? (I hope that made sense)
I may have been confusing some of the plant proteins, that is very possible. As far as foods that are actually damaging and/or can cause complications or set-backs to recovery/remission. Any roughage, i.e. raw veggies, nuts of any kind cause pain. Fiber, because it doesn't digest easily. Real fatty foods cause pain and discomfort. Everything I have listed up to this point is all trial and error of what I know I can and can not eat.

Another problem I have is that I just can't eat the large amounts of food that I used to in order to get my daily intake of carbs and proteins. When I say I can't, and I refer to pain, I mean actual physical pain. Large amounts of food and certain foods cause physical pain in my gut. Sure, it's nothing that taking 2 or 3 high powered pain killers won't cure, but I don't want to do that, for obvious reasons...
GTLinFL
Old 01-23-13, 08:45 PM

Superior Newbie
Originally Posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
looks to me like he is saying, "thanks for the diet advice guys but eating chicken all the time is to hard and i would rather get on some steroids".

am i wrong GTLinFL?
I would like to delve into this a little further, if you don't mind and wasn't offended earlier.

You're wrong but you're not.
I've actually discussed trying somatropin with my Dr. because I have found actual research that proves it can help people, such as myself, with ulcerative colitis and crohns disease, by helping slow down the breakdown of the intestinal walls, as it happens naturally with age, and more so with UC and Crohns, and help rebuild it... So yes I do want to add gear to my health plan, but not only for the reason every other schmuck wants to. The problem is there is not enough research out there to prove to the FDA that there is no taboo and these drugs can actually help people that have this problem. So My Dr. said no, at this time. I'm limited on resources and knowledge, thats why I'm here, to learn.
Scrumhalf
Old 01-23-13, 09:27 PM

I am afraid you are putting the cart before the horse here. There's no point in you talking of being huge or even thinking of gear when it is not not clear to me that you can take in 2000 calories a day, leave,alone what you may need to pack on the mass. My advice to you is again to figure out how many calories you can realistically consume every day given your constraints. It is possible that you may need to modify your goals to bring a lean cut guy, not a mass monster.
Bouncer
Old 01-23-13, 09:34 PM

Administrator

I feel lost with all the question and no answers.:(
you are getting many great answers my friend. the problem is, you don't like what you are hearing.

you are stuck in a "pre disease" mindset.
GTLinFL
Old 01-23-13, 10:03 PM

Superior Newbie
you are getting many great answers my friend. the problem is, you don't like what you are hearing.

you are stuck in a "pre disease" mindset.
I agree with you %100 about the great answers. I may have misspoke... I'm liking what I am hearing... Just trying to take it all in. All the questions and no answers, meaning That is how I have been feeling and felt up until now. And yes I'm starting to realize I am stuck in that "pre-disease" mindset, unfortunately. I've just always been the one to motivate others and push them to there limits and never needed that for myself, as I knew no limits and always strived to push myself further and harder than the last time, everytime. That's where i feel lost. Because I now feel like I need someone to do that with me. And the meds I take can make you feel great one minute and absolutely horrible about everything in life the next. I just feel like if I could see some gains, that would motivate me to keep going.
GTLinFL
Old 01-23-13, 10:08 PM

Superior Newbie
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf View Post
I am afraid you are putting the cart before the horse here. There's no point in you talking of being huge or even thinking of gear when it is not not clear to me that you can take in 2000 calories a day, leave,alone what you may need to pack on the mass. My advice to you is again to figure out how many calories you can realistically consume every day given your constraints. It is possible that you may need to modify your goals to bring a lean cut guy, not a mass monster.
Cart before the horse, horse before the cart, either way you're either staring at an ass, or an ass right behind you, lol , I told you i'm not leary about doing things the hard way. I can lead a horse to water, can't make him drink, but I can drowned him if he doesn't.

So, here is my analysis for the day. I have consumed 2223kcal, 287g carbs, 148g protein, 53g fat, 14g of that being sat. fat. and 9 g of fiber. Some days I may eat more. I still feel kinda hungry now... But other days I can't eat anywhere near that because the meds upset the stomach. Oh I almost forgot. There is no fun in being a " lean cut guy" as opposed to being a " mass monster". I don't want to be a mass monster, just 30-45 lbs heavier than what I am now...

Last edited by GTLinFL; 01-23-13 at 10:16 PM.
GTLinFL
Old 01-23-13, 10:26 PM

Superior Newbie
Something else I forgot to mention. I can't slowly eat all day long anymore to get my proteins and carbs, it makes me sick. Now its like I kinda have to get it when I can get, if that makes any sense, in other words I almost have to binge everytime I eat in order to not have a constant I'm going to throw up feeling and/or abdominal pains.
Scrumhalf
Old 01-24-13, 01:36 AM

I would shoot for 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat. At 2200 calories, that would amount to 220g of carbs, 220g of protein and about 50g of fat. So, you may want to bump up the protein a bit and drop the carbs a bit.

What is your lifting like? You may not gain too much on 2200 calories, but better to grow quality muscle slowly than to get fat fast.
Scrumhalf
Old 01-24-13, 01:39 AM

BTW 30-45lbs heavier than you are now, assuming you want most of that to be muscle, is no joke. Especially if you have trouble choking down food.
GTLinFL
Old 01-24-13, 01:43 AM

Superior Newbie
Yes I understand that completely. Thats why I feel I may have to ad gear to my workout. I'll see what I can do about the 40/40/20 split. If I'm able to handle it. As far as lifting goes and my recent relapse/flare up about a month ago I haven't been back to the gym. I am only getting ready to start back to the gym tomorrow. I want to start back hard and heavy, but i know thats not possible...
Scrumhalf
Old 01-24-13, 01:45 AM

Don't worry about what the label says on the weights. Start at a weight that will allow you to get 10-12 quality reps. Then slowly increase from 1 workout to the next. Even a 2.5 or 5lb increase is fine. Jumping in heavy if you haven't lifted for over a month is a recipe for an injury.
GTLinFL
Old 01-24-13, 01:50 AM

Superior Newbie
I try to get 3 sets with 12 reps, increasing the weight with each set to the point of muscle failure as I call it, on my 12th rep of the 3rd set. Is this good to do or not?
Bouncer
Old 01-24-13, 09:28 AM

Administrator
I agree with you %100 about the great answers. I may have misspoke... I'm liking what I am hearing... Just trying to take it all in. All the questions and no answers, meaning That is how I have been feeling and felt up until now. And yes I'm starting to realize I am stuck in that "pre-disease" mindset, unfortunately. I've just always been the one to motivate others and push them to there limits and never needed that for myself, as I knew no limits and always strived to push myself further and harder than the last time, everytime. That's where i feel lost. Because I now feel like I need someone to do that with me. And the meds I take can make you feel great one minute and absolutely horrible about everything in life the next. I just feel like if I could see some gains, that would motivate me to keep going.
just keep your head up and believe in yourself bro. there have been a few times in my life when i stopped believing in myself and it just so happens those were the times when i felt and looked my worst. always believe in yourself NO MATTER WHAT and do what you need to do to push through. Nail down your diet and what you can eat and do it consistently. Once you have done that for a good amount of time, then possibly think about steroids or HGH.
GTLinFL
Old 01-24-13, 09:30 PM

Superior Newbie
I try to get 3 sets with 12 reps, increasing the weight with each set to the point of muscle failure as I call it, on my 12th rep of the 3rd set. Is this good to do or not?
So, as I am quoting myself here... Is this a good practice to do or not?
Bouncer
Old 01-24-13, 09:38 PM

Administrator
So, as I am quoting myself here... Is this a good practice to do or not?
yep. i like to train with a weight that i can control with strict form. if i cant it is to heavy. if i can only do like 3-4 reps it is still to heavy.
GTLinFL
Old 01-24-13, 09:38 PM

Superior Newbie
just keep your head up and believe in yourself bro. there have been a few times in my life when i stopped believing in myself and it just so happens those were the times when i felt and looked my worst. always believe in yourself NO MATTER WHAT and do what you need to do to push through. Nail down your diet and what you can eat and do it consistently. Once you have done that for a good amount of time, then possibly think about steroids or HGH.
BOUNCER,
I appreciate the words of encouragement. Like I said before, I've never been in this situation and reversed role. I've always been te great motivator and person to push the limits, and to literally lose almost everything overnight, is totally different for me now. I appreciate all of the reinforcement from everyone. I do and have felt like a "shadow" of what I was before. Well, that's all about to change... Bigger, better, stronger and faster!
Turbo3000
Old 01-25-13, 09:52 AM

Founding Member
Have you discussed the appetite issue with your doctor? I don't know your current medication list, but something cheap like periactin could increase your appetite. However, like I stated, that recommendation could be good or bad depending on your current treatment.

Good luck, Scrumhalf and FitnessBrat have given you some great advice. Stick around and let us know how it is working.
GTLinFL
Old 01-25-13, 10:01 AM

Superior Newbie
Originally Posted by Turbo3000 View Post
Have you discussed the appetite issue with your doctor? I don't know your current medication list, but something cheap like periactin could increase your appetite. However, like I stated, that recommendation could be good or bad depending on your current treatment.

Good luck, Scrumhalf and FitnessBrat have given you some great advice. Stick around and let us know how it is working.
Yeah I've discussed it with him. And as far as it got was, " don't worry, eventually you'll get you appetite back and the prednisone well help you put the weight back on." That is the worst crap I've ever had to take in my life. The side effects cause me more pain when I'm not taking.

And yes, Scrum, FB and Bouncer have all given me some great advice. Now it's just a matter of me figuring out how to apply it, given the circumstances.
Turbo3000
Old 01-25-13, 10:06 AM

Founding Member
I might talk to a second doctor if yours is basically advocating prednisone as a medication to help you gain weight. To me, it sounds like he isn't too concerned about your opinion with dealing with your disease state. Prednisone might add weight, but at a cost of WAY too many sides.
GTLinFL
Old 01-25-13, 10:15 AM

Superior Newbie
Lol, not funny, but this is my second dr. Aside from that opinion of his, everything else had been great. My first dr wasn't giving me the correct treatment and because of that I'm now down to 6 lives left, lol. He literally, well him and the ER dr, almost killed me on 2 separate occasions. The 1st time was my fault. To figure out why it was my fault or understand it, Please refer back to the section of not knowing any limits, lol.... It was stupid and a hard lesson learned.

But, on the flip side. At least I know how long I can bleed out now!
GTLinFL
Old 01-25-13, 10:19 AM

Superior Newbie
Which is about 5-1/2 wks before it can get critical!!! LOL
GTLinFL
Old 01-25-13, 05:40 PM

Superior Newbie
Hey FB, do you think you can tell me more about these plant proteins you speak of?
FitnessBrat
Old 01-25-13, 07:03 PM

Founding Member
Hey FB, do you think you can tell me more about these plant proteins you speak of?

The one I currently use is called Lifetime Life's Basics Plant Protein. It never gives me a stomachache, bloat, or anything like whey would.
GTLinFL
Old 01-25-13, 08:01 PM

Superior Newbie
The one I currently use is called Lifetime Life's Basics Plant Protein. It never gives me a stomachache, bloat, or anything like whey would.
But is it just as potent as whey? What about absorption or mal-absorption for that matter? No stomach-aches, pains, no bloating, really? Almost sounds to good to be true. But definitely sounds like something that would be good for me to try. Are there any others that you recommend?

Also, I would like to get a general consensus and/or overall opinion on what use(d) to supplement with and what you and others recommend.
1. For recovery and training pre-, during, and post-.
XTEND

2. JACK3D AND CELLUCOR C4.
3. Straight creatine monohydrate
4. T-BOMB II
5. Muscletech T-BOOSTER w/ 3.12g d-aspartic acid, 200mg boron citrate, 30mg zinc per serving.
FitnessBrat
Old 01-26-13, 09:12 AM

Founding Member
But is it just as potent as whey? What about absorption or mal-absorption for that matter? No stomach-aches, pains, no bloating, really? Almost sounds to good to be true. But definitely sounds like something that would be good for me to try. Are there any others that you recommend?

Also, I would like to get a general consensus and/or overall opinion on what use(d) to supplement with and what you and others recommend.
XTEND

4. T-BOMB II
5. Muscletech T-BOOSTER w/ 3.12g d-aspartic acid, 200mg boron citrate, 30mg zinc per serving.

When you say "potent", do you mean amount of protein, or? It has 22g of protein, 1g of fat, and 5g of carbs per serving. It is a lot more expensive, I will tell you that. But for me, it's worth it. Some days I don't eat a lot, so I at least try to make a shake as I'm heading out the door. I've mixed it with all different fruits, green vegetables, peanut butter powder, flax seeds, etc. It mixes and dissolves VERY well. It will mix just fine with water, but I always put mine in a blender with other things to make it more of a "meal" and filling.

In addition to gluten, I have a milk allergy as well. When I say it doesn't bloat me or cause me stomach pain, I"m serious. I can not do whey, and like I said before, I couldn't do probiotics either (which most sensitive people seem to say they are fine with). It's made with pea protein, hemp protein and rice protein.

Give it a shot. Start out with just a scoop and see how you do. I hope it will be something you can tolerate. But if you can drink other protein drinks, I don't see why this one would be any issue.

P.S. I order mine through Amazon. I haven't looked around lately to see if they are still the best price. And I haven't tried any other brands. There aren't many and this one rates the highest I'd seen when I started my limited food venture. :wacko:
GTLinFL
Old 01-27-13, 09:06 PM

Superior Newbie
When you say "potent", do you mean amount of protein, or? It has 22g of protein, 1g of fat, and 5g of carbs per serving. It is a lot more expensive, I will tell you that. But for me, it's worth it. Some days I don't eat a lot, so I at least try to make a shake as I'm heading out the door. I've mixed it with all different fruits, green vegetables, peanut butter powder, flax seeds, etc. It mixes and dissolves VERY well. It will mix just fine with water, but I always put mine in a blender with other things to make it more of a "meal" and filling.

In addition to gluten, I have a milk allergy as well. When I say it doesn't bloat me or cause me stomach pain, I"m serious. I can not do whey, and like I said before, I couldn't do probiotics either (which most sensitive people seem to say they are fine with). It's made with pea protein, hemp protein and rice protein.

Give it a shot. Start out with just a scoop and see how you do. I hope it will be something you can tolerate. But if you can drink other protein drinks, I don't see why this one would be any issue.

P.S. I order mine through Amazon. I haven't looked around lately to see if they are still the best price. And I haven't tried any other brands. There aren't many and this one rates the highest I'd seen when I started my limited food venture. :wacko:
Hey thanks FB! I will look into getting some of that here soon and giving it a try.

Do you know of anyone using the supplements I have listed? I posted them up hoping someone would comment, but nothing yet...
Bouncer
Old 01-28-13, 09:56 AM

Administrator

XTEND

4. T-BOMB II
Quote:
Hey thanks FB! I will look into getting some of that here soon and giving it a try.

Do you know of anyone using the supplements I have listed? I posted them up hoping someone would comment, but nothing yet...
xtend is just amino acids which can be found in protein powder or food. you can use it if you want but i doubt you will notice much. using something "during" your workout is a no no for me. you are there to train, not sip tea at the bench. lol.

jacked and c4 are the same thing pretty much, i switch them up and use 1 for a month and then 1 for another month. good pre workout drink but can be hard on peoples stomach without your disease so be careful.

creatine is in the jacked and the c4, you dont need more.

stay far away from anything that says "t or t booster". you will end of with gyno almost every time. they are all pure shit and do more harm then steroids with less benefit and more side effects. dont believe me, check out the letro thread. about 10,000 idiots with boobies because they used "t boosters".
FitnessBrat
Old 01-28-13, 11:45 AM

Founding Member

I don't personally use any of those items. I would suggest you avoid them, though, at least until you figure out what is good for you. A lot of products contain fillers and a lot of fillers contain wheat. If you are eating gluten free, then that is a no no. Creatine alone hurt my stomach. Not necessarily for any other reason than that it does that to a lot of people.

Drink a cup of coffee before you workout for a caffeine boost.
Scrumhalf
Old 01-28-13, 12:28 PM

Drink a cup of coffee before you workout for a caffeine boost.
Agreed 100%. If your stomach will tolerate it a 200mg caffeine pill, along with about 50g of carbs will give you all the energy you need. No need to pay money to buy all these supplements - only one worth considering IMO is creatine, and that is of course icing on the cake assuming your stomach can tolerate everthing else. Like FB said, I wouldn't even experiment with all this stuff until you know for sure you can choke down (and hold down) the calories you need for growth.
GTLinFL
Old 01-28-13, 10:47 PM

Superior Newbie
xtend is just amino acids which can be found in protein powder or food. you can use it if you want but i doubt you will notice much. using something "during" your workout is a no no for me. you are there to train, not sip tea at the bench. lol.

jacked and c4 are the same thing pretty much, i switch them up and use 1 for a month and then 1 for another month. good pre workout drink but can be hard on peoples stomach without your disease so be careful.

creatine is in the jacked and the c4, you dont need more.

stay far away from anything that says "t or t booster". you will end of with gyno almost every time. they are all pure shit and do more harm then steroids with less benefit and more side effects. dont believe me, check out the letro thread. about 10,000 idiots with boobies because they used "t boosters".
BOUNCER,

Yes, the XTEND is amino acids, idk why, but when I worked it into my gym routine, but especially my running routine ( used to run 8-15mi 4days/wk.)I gained EXPLOSIVE STRENGTH and SPEED, for me anyway. In the gym(or afterwards) my recovery times tripled in speed to full recovery, which meant I could lift more and lift sooner. For running, I went from a sub 12:00 min/mi to a sub 8:00 min/mi and down into the 7 min range, consistent for 5mi. straight running. Probably could have went alot farther, but figured what's the point, LOL. Dammit, If after 5mi. of running, you're still chasing me, then piss on it, I give up!!!

I too, cycled the Jack3d and C4. There was just something about the C4 though, that pissed me off. Like literally pissed me off. Idk. And I'll stop adding more creatine to the mix. Thanks for your concern about the possible stomach issues. Duh me, that honestly never crossed my mind. Probably because I'm so damn anxious to get back to lifting and putting weight back on, oh and being able to tell what my hair looks like before I walk out door.

The T-BOMB II states that it is supposed to block estrogen receptors and lower the conversion of T to dht and boost over all T levels etc, etc. I thought that was a good thing? (more info if not please.) And I figured why not add the other one on top of it since I didn't readily have access to any gear, to help with gains. When you say " pure shit", do you mean pure garbage? Or like pure as in high purity levels? I did have noticeable good results, though. But, if its not good then I won't start taking it again...

Thanks for the reply on this...

Oh, btw, I went to the Dr. today and he said that I have to cut back on carbs like almost completely, sugar levels were a little higher than he liked to see in my labs.

So, now I don't know what the hell to do. :dunno: I've gotta have carbs for not only energy but to help proper digestion of protein... Any thoughts or ideas???
GTLinFL
Old 01-28-13, 10:52 PM

Superior Newbie
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf View Post
Agreed 100%. If your stomach will tolerate it a 200mg caffeine pill, along with about 50g of carbs will give you all the energy you need. No need to pay money to buy all these supplements - only one worth considering IMO is creatine, and that is of course icing on the cake assuming your stomach can tolerate everthing else. Like FB said, I wouldn't even experiment with all this stuff until you know for sure you can choke down (and hold down) the calories you need for growth.
Scrum and FB,
I concur with you both about drinking the coffee and continuing the creatine, it doesn't really bother my stomach. The only thing I drink is espresso anyway. Regular coffee just taste like shit to me. See the above latest news from my Doc about the carbs issue. (refering to the diet/calorie plan)
FitnessBrat
Old 01-28-13, 11:50 PM

Founding Member

Scrum and FB,
I concur with you both about drinking the coffee and continuing the creatine, it doesn't really bother my stomach. The only thing I drink is espresso anyway. Regular coffee just taste like shit to me. See the above latest news from my Doc about the carbs issue. (refering to the diet/calorie plan)

I mentioned cutting sugar a few a posts back because I do know many people with auto immune disorders have a problem with it. Sorry to hear. I've found certain things are worse than others. Does the pre workout drinks you're drinking have sugars in them? How about if you JUST eat rice? No breads, no pastas, NOTHING with junk sugars and no fructose. Fructose often causes problems, too. Are you eating fruits, dried fruits, juices, etc. Certain dried fruit KILLS my stomach. You might have to go completely grain free. Paleo is gaining popularity.

What exactly does your doctor recommend you eat?