SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Fitness Section > Anabolic Steroids > Steroid Articles
Reload this Page Kratom Use In Bodybuilders

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Coolio
  • 1 Post By Coolio
  • 1 Post By TrapsBrah
  • 2 Post By Bouncer
  • 1 Post By Bouncer
  • 1 Post By Bouncer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-16, 02:09 PM
Kratom Use In Bodybuilders

Administrator
Kratom Use In Bodybuilding

by Anthony Roberts

Kratom is one of those herbs that always seems to be on the periphery of the circles I travel in. Proponents claim that itís a safe and legal way to get high, a natural painkiller, and even a way for addicts to detox. Typically, none of those attributes on their own would interest meÖat least not enough to write about it.

So-called ďlegal highsĒ are almost always lame (as are the people who seek them out). And painkillersÖwell, I just donít write about painkillers. None of the books Iíve written on Performance Enhancing Drugs have addressed them, even though many athletes and coaches (myself included) would argue that they are often indespensible tools.
Not writing about painkillers, I suppose, has been mostly an aesthetic choice.

Nobody would credibly deny that painkillers are widely used in all corners of athletics, from the injectable opiate Nubain, favored by bodybuilders, to the Vicodin pills that hooked Brett Favre. Theyíre not performance enhancing in the same way that anabolic steroids are, but they help athletes play and train when they otherwise would be unable.

So I wasnít surprised when Kratom started making its way into the world of athletics. What surprised me was how widespread its use has becomeÖand having played competitive sports at a level that has thusfar necessitated surgery on four seperate joints, I recently decided that experimenting with Kratom might be worthwhile (and aesthetics aside, writing about it).

Yes, this article is going to be one of those new-media-style ďI did ______ for a week and hereís what happened,Ē except weíll avoid the overused title format and faux-edgy tone.
For the remainder of this article, please keep in mind that what Iím giving you is information, not advice.

Kratom has a long history of use in Thailand and South Asia, where the leaves have been chewed for their both their stimulant and sedative properties (oddly). This combination of stimulant/sedative is enjoyed by manual laborers, to help then work longer (presumably earning a lot of overtime pay, with their strong trade unions and fair employment laws).

Kratomís main active alkaloid (at over 66% of the total weight) is mitragynine, although dozens have been discovered and described in the literature. These alkaloids each have different properties, and can be found in varying concentrations in each plant and crop. Concentrations and ratios of one alkaloid to another is highly dependent on how the plant was grown, where it was grown, etc.

From a practical standpoint, taking five grams of Kratom instead of a few hundred milligrams of aspirin, isnít going to make sense for most people. If it simply possessed anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, nobody would be interested in Kratom.

However, besides the aforementioned mild pain relief, I noticed a slight opiate-style body high, and a very pronounced mood elevation. I would imagine that Kratom could successfully be used as an anti-depressant. It also has a stimulant effect that is unlike prescription opiates and generally the opposite of anti-depressants. At the lower doses, I didnít have the drowsy feeling that would normally accompany a traditional opiate-based painkiller. A cup of coffee with vicodin creamer is a good way to describe it.

But again, from a practical standpoint, Kratom probably has very little potential as a ďsocialĒ drug. Dumping a tablespoon of powder in your mouth isnít really the same as passing a joint, and putting ten grams of powder into capsules can get time-consuming (and takes about fifty 0 gauge caps). And letís be honest, Iím not going to brew the stuff into a cup of tea, although many users opt for that route of administration.

Kratom concentrates and extracts are a way to (potentially) get around that problem, but I canít speak to their effectiveness, as I simply used the raw powder.

While the pain relief I personally experienced with Kratom was on the lighter side, I seem to be in the minority. Friends of mine who have arthritis, or are dealing with sports injuries and chronic pain, have reported very good results with occasional Kratom use (I suspect that there is a fast onset of receptor downgrade for most people). Powerlifters, weight lifters, and bodybuilders are using Kratom fairly regularly, and almost universally reporting the desired results, in terms of pain relief.

Some users have told me that the pain relief allows them to train harder, heavier, and for longer. So anecdotally, Iíve seen a strong trend for the for the use of Kratom (as a painkiller) athleticsÖbut again, as a recreational drug, I canít see it replacing any of the classics.

With that in mind, Kratom has proven effective in alleviating withdrawal symptoms from central nervous system depressants like opiates and alcohol, and I would suspect that it has utility in treating addiction to painkillers also. However, there is a risk of dependence with Kratom itself, so itís not a free ride by any means.

On four of the seven days that I used Kratom, I trained (primarily with weights), and didnít notice any change in either soreness or recovery and it didnít seem to have any effect on my strength or stamina. This is partly why itís gotten popular with athletes, because although it appears to work on the opioid receptors to dull pain, it doesnít seem to negatively inhibit performance. Iím guessing that if you take a ton, the effect would be similar to taking a ton of any opiate, i.e. you can get really high (or die).

Despite its popularity, there are still some unanswered questions regarding its potential side-effects. Research in this area is lacking, although there strong evidence to suggest that case reports of negative effects have been greatly influenced by user polypharmacy (i.e. people damaging their bodies, or even dying with Kratom in their system, were almost always found with traces of something else in their system). Iím not sure how much stock I put into the idea that used alone (and responsibly), Kratom would be harmful.

Frankly, because this is a traditional herb that has a long history of safe use, it would be difficult for me to believe that nobody figured out that it was toxic until hipsters started opening up Kratom bars.
The spoil-sports over at the World Anti-Doping Agency have already placed Kratom on their monitoring list, and its use is banned in competition (its most logical use for performance enhancement). Naturally, it can be detected in urine, but a typical employer or sporting organization isnít testing for it.

This the reason why different types of Kratom (red vein versus white vein, for example) have different effects on the user.

I canít comment on highly specific or unique types (or brands) of Kratom, or even the general difference between white and red vein variants, because I only experimented with products from a single supplier. Although it should be noted that (from that single supplier) I used varying different strains with a dizzying assortment of names besides just white and red: Malay, Enhanced, Mood, Private Reserve Bali, Yellow Vietnam, Maeng Da (my favorite), and half a dozen others.

My experience confirmed most of what Iíve read in the scientific literature.

Kratom leaf and Kratom extracts have been shown to mildly inhibit the bodyís ability to feel pain, as well as having mild anti-inflammatory, anti-depressant, and muscle relaxant effects. The key word here, is mild (you can tell because I used it twice). For me, the painkilling effect of Kratom (I experimented with everything from five grams in a day up to twenty) was on par with over the counter medications like aspirin or ibuprofen.

Unfortunately, the legal status of the herb is somewhat up in the air. The FDA has issued an import alert (meaning theyíll stop it at the border if anyone tries to bring it in), though itís not illegal or banned per se. It might not be compliant to sell as a dietary supplement (although itís being sold that way), but most retailers simply sell it as a bag or bottle of powder (some adding ďnot for human consumptionĒ)

It is a ďdrug of concernĒ according to the The Drug Enforcement Administration but not a federally controlled substance.

On the state level, Tennessee, Vermont, New Jersey, and Wyoming have banned itís sale, but thatís irrelevant if someone buys it online from another state. There is more restrictive legislation in the works, and a lobbying group has been started by Kratom sellers and enthusiasts to keep it (sort of) legal.

SuperiorMuscle Members Get 20% Off Kratom With Coupon Code SM01
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-16, 10:06 PM

Superior Amateur
I have some and i ise it here and there around the end of the day it makes me sleep great
Old 08-25-16, 10:42 AM

Superior Amateur
Im starting to be on the fence about this stuff. Not so sure its a good idea for many to use. As I havent used it extensively myself I will reserve more comments.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-16, 06:42 PM

Official SM Sponsor
202-598-6812 DEA line for kratom

Please call this number and tell your story to keep kratom legal after 9-31-2016
TrapsBrah and kevinroids like this.
Old 09-01-16, 06:51 PM

Official SM Sponsor
Or if you have a few dollars, the AKA estimates it will take about 500K in legal fees to have a shot at keeping kratom legal

https://americankratomassociation.na...der.com/donate
TrapsBrah likes this.
Old 09-01-16, 07:24 PM

Superior Pro
What bullshit time to stock up on it gonna buy some seeds and a plant or two.
kevinroids likes this.
Old 09-01-16, 07:59 PM

Superior Pro
Big pharma doesn't want people self medicating which is why weed is still illegal on a federal level. I bet the fda has a lot to do with the ban. Kratom is much safer than dangerous pharmaceutical drugs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20160901-185029.jpg (213.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-01-16, 09:05 PM

Superior Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanG View Post
Im starting to be on the fence about this stuff. Not so sure its a good idea for many to use. As I havent used it extensively myself I will reserve more comments.
It is a good thing to use helps with anxiety only negative is addiction pitential and still far less than opiates which also fuck your liver up.
Old 09-01-16, 09:39 PM

Administrator
Read something that made me laugh.

FDA said there has been 600 something emergency incidents involving kratom in the past year. To put that in perspective there were over 8000 laundry detergent emergency incidents. Lmfao
dna9488 and TrapsBrah like this.
Old 09-01-16, 09:43 PM

Administrator
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidkro.../#7e4ecf79388b
Old 09-02-16, 09:04 AM

Superior Amateur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
Amazing that time and money was wasted on this when as you pointed out above that laundry detergent is responsible for more health emergencies than kratom. WTF ???
Old 09-02-16, 09:57 AM

Founding Member
Mostly kids eating tide pods cause they look like candy. Big stink at P&G over their marketing and lack of child proof lids.

Hell I remember when I was a kid and my little brother about killed himself eating laundry detergent. He was blue in the face when mom got to him.
Old 09-02-16, 05:17 PM

Superior Pro
And the 14 deaths the dea cites from kratom are bullshit no ones ever overdosed on kratom. The deaths were probably a combination of other drugs or synthetic opiods labeled as kratom.
Old 09-02-16, 06:19 PM

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapsBrah View Post
And the 14 deaths the dea cites from kratom are bullshit no ones ever overdosed on kratom. The deaths were probably a combination of other drugs or synthetic opiods labeled as kratom.
there must be a lethal dose. like some some dumb fuck taking 10,000mgs of aspirin at a time etc...
Old 09-02-16, 06:21 PM

Superior Pro
Quote:
there must be a lethal dose. like some some dumb fuck taking 10,000mgs of aspirin at a time etc...
"We are not aware of any cases of severe poisoning or death resulting from its use. Animal studies have found even very large doses of mitragynine (920 mg/kg) to be non-lethal.
http://www.erowid.org/plants/kratom/kratom_basics.shtml

"They calculated the 50% lethal dose (LD50) of these extracts, which were 4.90 g/kg for the methanol extract and 173.20 mg/kg for the alkaloidal extract."
Old 09-02-16, 06:24 PM

Administrator
i hear ya and i agree. just saying never underestimate how dumb people can be.

But I agree with you 100%, the reasons the FDA are using to justify this are absolute horse shit.
Old 09-02-16, 06:36 PM

Administrator
How many people die from alcohol related death each year? How about cigarettes?

Yet they are perfectly legal to use. The FDA does not care about the health and safety of US citizens, that is clear.

I'd be perfectly ok with a "need to be 21" law with kratom. But to do what they are doing shows just how much they are controlled by big pharma.
Old 09-02-16, 11:20 PM

Superior Pro
True or something similar to Illinois law ...
Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Creates the Kratom Control Act. Provides that a minor under 18 years of age shall not knowingly purchase or possess any product containing any quantity of Kratom. Provides that a minor under 18 years of age shall not knowingly purchase or possess any product containing any quantity of Kratom.
Old 09-03-16, 02:56 AM

Superior Pro
Good vid

https://youtu.be/IC6p1yZQiZs
Old 09-03-16, 09:35 PM

Official SM Sponsor
March for kratom

https://www.facebook.com/groups/KeepKratomLegal/
Old 09-05-16, 05:13 PM

Administrator
Kratom Petition Attracts 55K Signatures In Six Days, 100K Needed For Response From White House

A kratom petition has been started with the White House in response to an announcement last Tuesday from the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) with regard to its intention to add the “active” components of the plant to the list of Schedule I drugs believed to have no true therapeutic value, which includes heroin, marijuana, and peyote, as reported by the DEA.
The Young Turks and other media outlets are describing the move, if enacted, as amounting to kratom ban. It is claimed that kratom can “help recovering opiate addicts treat pain” and “combat depression and anxiety.”

In order to prompt a presidential response, petitions with the White House are required to attract at least 100,000 signatures. The kratom petition was started on August 30, and has already gained over 55,000 signatures.
“I’m a recovering opiate addict,” a caller to the Tim Black At Night show stated on Friday evening with regard to the kratom ban. “I was handed an addiction by a man in a white jacket, that I trusted.”
The woman went on to describe her addiction to opiates as being “hopeless” for a 10-year period. She cited kratom as being the only thing that has been able to help her live a normal life again.

“They are going to take it away from all these addicts that it’s helped. That have reintegrated into society. We’re scared. We don’t know what we’re going to do,” Shannon stated about the DEA kratom ban that is currently slated to go into effect on September 30, 30 days after the initial DEA announcement.
Given that the kratom petition has already garnered well over half of the necessary signatures for a response from President Obama in just six days, it seems likely that the remainder could be gained in the 25 days remaining before the ban goes into effect. Whether or not the president will intervene with an executive order or other action remains to be seen.

The DEA reports that over 100,000 kilograms of kratom was either encountered by the agency or offered for sale by exporters into the United States between 2014 and 2016. This amounts to over 12 million doses of kratom’s active ingredients: mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine. Federal figures indicate 15 deaths related to kratom use between 2014 and 2016.
Ana Kasparian, with The Young Turks, warned users that deaths related to kratom appear to usually occur when it is mixed with, or consumed at the same time as, other drugs.

Statistics on poisoning in the United States indicate 660 calls involving exposure to kratom between 2010 and 2015, up from only 6 from 2000 to 2005. By comparison, the State of Washington was said to have received 246 marijuana calls in 2014, up from 158 in 2013, thought to be related to the state’s legalization of recreational use of the drug, as reported by AP.
According to Florence, Alabama’s Times Daily, deaths related to heroin use in Jefferson County increased 140 percent in 2014 and officials in Colbert and Lauderdale counties acknowledged an increase in heroin use in 2015, following a 2013 kratom ban and a crackdown on legal, but heavily regulated pharmaceutical opiates, such as Oxycontin.

Doctors are said to have become wary of prescribing the addictive medications out of fear of prosecution by the DEA. Patients engaging in “doctor shopping,” the practice of obtaining more pills that legitimately required by visiting multiple physicians in a short period, are also said to be targets of law enforcement.
The Times Daily described the situation in Alabama as being similar to a game of “whack-a-mole.”
If the kratom petition fails in blocking the DEA ban, the botanical will likely remain on the Schedule I list for at least two years.
“The never do an emergency un-scheduling of a drug,” The Young Turks host Cenk Uygur stated with regard to the “emergency” DEA kratom ban. “We’ve proven a thousand times over that marijuana clearly has some benefits, so it shouldn’t be a Schedule I drug, at minimum.”
Old 09-09-16, 10:45 PM

Administrator
White House Will Have To Justify Kratom Ban

A petition asking the White House to not classify Kratom as a Schedule I drug passed the 100,000 signature mark Thursday, triggering a response from the Obama Administration.

ďPlease do not make Kratom a Schedule I Substance,Ē is the name of the petition on the White House petition site. The petition was created Aug. 30 in response to the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) decision to temporarily classify the plant Kratom, a Schedule I narcotic.

The DEA filed a Notice of Intent Aug. 31 and caused great outrage among Kratom users not only for temporarily restricting the plantís availability, but also for not allowing experts to weigh in on the matter. When scheduling the drug, the DEA traditionally allows for a notice and comment period in which interested parties can make their case to the DEA about why a substance should not be scheduled.

The temporary Schedule I classification of Kratom goes into effect Sept. 30. White House petition response policy states that if a petition gets over 100,000 signatures within 30 days, the White House will respond within 60 days of that threshold having been reached.

Kratom can be found in teas and is known for helping heroin addicts wean themselves off of the deadly drug. The plantís key chemical properties can be found in energy drinks as well as in pills and powders. Due to the 60 day window in which the White House can respond to a petition and the Kratom ban getting underway Sept. 30, it is unclear if a response will come in time to stop the scheduling.

Regardless of the outcome at the federal level, Kratom has already been banned in Vermont, Indiana, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Alabama, and Arkansas.

White House Will Have To Justify Kratom Ban | The Daily Caller
Old 09-09-16, 11:11 PM

Superior Pro
One more update glad to see so many people fighting for it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kratom/comm...ce=mweb_navbar
Old 09-10-16, 05:28 PM

Administrator
DEA targeting of addiction treatment kratom will protect Big Pharma profits

https://www.rt.com/usa/358931-kratom-drug-dea-schedule/
Old 09-11-16, 08:10 AM

Official SM Sponsor
If you're in San Antonio like us our congressman is Joaqin Castro and his local office receives mail at: 727 E. Cesar E. Chavez Blvd Suite B-128 San Antonio, TX 78206 ​Phone: 210-348-8216
Old 09-11-16, 08:14 AM

Official SM Sponsor
Quote:
I don't know what the dose would be. I have tried taking A LOT and it doesn't work. If you're like me or most people it makes you vomit it back up--not sure what the way is to get the stomach to ingest a lethal dose.

I don't know how often people go to the ER due to an upset stomach. I'm sure some though. You just puke. Then you might not be able to think about kratom for a day or so without getting sick.

I have to meet these people that ended up in ER from kratom.
Old 09-13-16, 06:55 PM

Superior Pro
Kratom Supporters Rally at White House
Old 09-25-16, 10:22 PM

Administrator
Why banning the opiate-like plant kratom might do more harm than good - The Verge
Old 10-01-16, 02:25 AM

Administrator
DEA has kratom users holding their breath, lawmakers write more letters | Ars Technica
Coolio likes this.
Old 10-05-16, 04:49 PM

Administrator
https://www.statnews.com/2016/10/05/...ban-dea-delay/
Old 10-11-16, 11:41 AM

Administrator
DEA Kratom Ban Delayed Indefinitely
Old 10-11-16, 12:12 PM

Founding Member
Quote:
traps gonna :hang::hang: himself lol
Old 10-11-16, 02:01 PM

Founding Member
im curious as to who is still taking this stuff and if so, how often? seems some of you were on the bandwagon and praised it and now that following has dropped off.

bouncer, i know you were one of the first to try it. overall, how was it for pain? relaxation? etc...
Old 10-11-16, 03:34 PM

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by rado View Post

bouncer, i know you were one of the first to try it. overall, how was it for pain? relaxation? etc...
all your answers if you'd only just pay attention.

https://www.superiormuscle.com/forums...ain-relief-log

reason i stopped is because the type of pain relief i need is different. muscle relaxers help me far more than opiate type drugs.
dna9488 likes this.
Old 10-11-16, 04:13 PM

Founding Member
Quote:

reason i stopped is because the type of pain relief i need is different. muscle relaxers help me far more than opiate type drugs.
NOW i remember this thread:thumb:
Old 10-11-16, 11:23 PM

Superior Pro
Quote:
traps gonna :hang::hang: himself lol
Lol just gonna stock up on some more.
Old 10-11-16, 11:31 PM

Superior Pro
Quote:

Kava kava might be better for you ...

The effects of kava are comparable to those of alcohol and benzodiazapines (usually valium).

Psychological and physiological effects include, but are not limited to:

Mild euphoria
Sedation
Relaxation of muscles and mind
Clear thinking; opening of mind
Strong anxiolytic effect (studies show as on par with that of benzodiazapines)
Mood lifting and mellowing effects
Inebriation, usually without serious mental clouding and coordination problems
Very mild visual effects (colors more vivid, slight surface rippling, visual snow, double vision) -not incredibly common
Talkative and sociable behavior (similar to that of mild alcohol intoxication)
Numbing of tongue, lips, and throat
Analgesia
Old 10-11-16, 11:33 PM

Superior Pro
Quote:
im curious as to who is still taking this stuff and if so, how often? seems some of you were on the bandwagon and praised it and now that following has dropped off.

I've been dosing kratom everyday for the past week and finilly today I got nearly zero effects. Tolerance builds up too fast. For everyday of use it is recommended to take 2 days off to avoid tolerance.

I've known about kratom and first tried it 6 years ago. I didn't take it often but my interest peaked again.

Last edited by TrapsBrah; 10-12-16 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-13-16, 01:53 PM

Administrator
Kratom Spared DEA Schedule I Status
Old 10-13-16, 04:14 PM

Official SM Sponsor
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapsBrah View Post
I've been dosing kratom everyday for the past week and finilly today I got nearly zero effects. Tolerance builds up too fast. For everyday of use it is recommended to take 2 days off to avoid tolerance.

I've known about kratom and first tried it 6 years ago. I didn't take it often but my interest peaked again.

Some people use a stem & vein mixture for when they have a washout period to reduce tolerance.

What words for me is rotating strains. White one day, red the next & a green strain after that. If you rotate and take an occasional washout day you can keep your tolerance very low.
Old 10-13-16, 04:17 PM

Official SM Sponsor
They have extended the public commenting period until the end of November.

The commenting period is something they neglected to apply in their initial motion.

Things are looking good so far and we have had 51 congressmen sign our "Dear Colleague" letter to the DEA. There were some strong words used by some members of congress in reference to the DEA's abuses of power.

It has been exciting to watch our corrupt government in action these past few months. Who knows maybe the FBI will get reprimanded next!
Old 10-14-16, 02:43 PM

Administrator
Kratom ban rethink is a hint of sanity in failed US war on drugs

https://www.newscientist.com/article...-war-on-drugs/
Old 01-27-17, 05:24 PM

Superior Newbie
I use Kratom for pain it works wonders for me and it's great for a morning boost helps wake me.up fast esp the mang da. I guess everyone is different some feel the effects some don't my wife it makes her sick me it helps knee and back pain

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0