SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Fitness Section > Supplements
Reload this Page What's Your PWO Shake Consist Of?

Supplements Supplement & Prohormone Discussion

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By rado
  • 1 Post By Bouncer
  • 1 Post By Bouncer
  • 1 Post By Bouncer
  • 1 Post By jack tors
  • 1 Post By Bouncer
  • 1 Post By Bouncer
  • 1 Post By jack tors
  • 1 Post By Bouncer
  • 1 Post By dna9488
  • 1 Post By Bouncer
  • 1 Post By Bouncer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-16, 03:16 PM
What's Your PWO Shake Consist Of?

Administrator
Post Workout Shake. Post yours. I like Gatorade because it has dextrose and the proper electrolytes for replenishment. Plus I can get 8 20oz bottles at WinCo for $3.99

is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-16, 03:31 PM

Founding Member
Mine ? Just my shake or plain water lol....i'm boring
Old 05-16-16, 03:53 PM

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by rado View Post
Mine ? Just my shake or plain water lol....i'm boring
so protein powder only? why no carbs for insulin spike to help push protein and creatine into muscle cells?
Old 05-16-16, 05:32 PM

Founding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
so protein powder only? why no carbs for insulin spike to help push protein and creatine into muscle cells?
Well i should of mentioned other than eating 1 or 2 bananas when I'm done, guess that's my sugar/carbs for me.
Old 05-16-16, 05:33 PM

Administrator
Ok so protein powder and banana. Any creatine?
Old 05-16-16, 05:36 PM

Founding Member
Quote:
Ok so protein powder and banana. Any creatine?
When I was in my mid 20s I use to take creatine, but no bro...nothing else...pwo is water or banana with my shake...and it's always a banana for pwo or just about anything. I usually have 2 or 3 of them a day, yes a day
Bouncer likes this.
Old 05-16-16, 08:42 PM

Superior Amateur
60g whey. I keep it simple
Old 05-16-16, 08:42 PM

Superior Admiral
65g of 100% Whey Protein and 20g of dextrose
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-16, 10:30 AM

Superior Pro
60g of whey and 2 tablespoons of NOW dextrose powder.
Old 05-17-16, 11:57 AM

Administrator
Just fyi dextrose alone is not preferred. Something about the osmolarity makes it hard to absorb on its own. I'll post something on it when I get home.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
dna9488 likes this.
Old 05-17-16, 12:30 PM

Superior Pro
Alone as by itself or as the source of carbs with protein?
Old 05-17-16, 01:01 PM

Administrator
Taking your protein with dextrose as the only type of sugar is not preferred. Should either be mixed with malto or sucrose. That's why I like Gatorade. It's designed for optimal rehydration and recuperation. Has dextrose, sucrose, and a bit of sodium for optimal uptake. Dextrose without another form of sugar tends to sit in the gut for a longer period. If your gonna take your protein with a single carb source your best bet would be maltodextrin.
rado likes this.
Old 05-17-16, 01:05 PM

Founding Member
Quote:
Taking your protein with dextrose as the only type of sugar is not preferred. Should either be mixed with malto or sucrose. That's why I like Gatorade. It's designed for optimal rehydration and recuperation. Has dextrose, sucrose, and a bit of sodium for optimal uptake. Dextrose without another form of sugar tends to sit in the gut for a longer period. If your gonna take your protein with a single carb source your best bet would be maltodextrin.
will try some Gatorade. ..been many years since I've had it.
Old 05-17-16, 02:42 PM

Superior Freak
usually no shake just food

bananas and oats
Old 05-17-16, 03:18 PM

Founding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack tors View Post
usually no shake just food

bananas and oats
You should add some protein.
Old 05-17-16, 03:30 PM

Administrator
Agree. Also think you guys using 60 or above grams of protein are just waisting powder. I'm not saying the body can't use 60 grams of slow digesting food protein. But very fast absorbing protein like whey is gonna top out around 30-40 grams before your body trashes the rest. There is only so much protein your body can use in given time frame. The whey time frame is limited because it digests so fast.

Eat 75 grams of protein from a steak your body can probably use all of it because the digestion rate is so slow.

For quick digesting protein I'm convinced that 30-40 is the magic number before your body trashes the remainder.

Better off having 2 30 gram shakes spaced out an hour apart than you are 60 grams in 1 shot.

That study I posted the other day noted that after 20 grams amino acids started being destroyed by the body. I believe the 20 gram number is low for us kind of fellas but I do believe it has some merit. For guys like us my bro science tells me it's probably 30-40 grams. No way it's 60 especially not for natty guys like Dana.
Old 05-17-16, 09:07 PM

Superior Admiral
Bouncer I go by the philosophy of 1g-1.5g of protein per pound. Postworkout shake to me is any other meal. I eat about 40g-60g of protein per meal. What's so different about getting 60g of protein in my shake?
Old 05-17-16, 09:15 PM

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by dna9488 View Post
Bouncer I go by the philosophy of 1g-1.5g of protein per pound. Postworkout shake to me is any other meal. I eat about 40g-60g of protein per meal. What's so different about getting 60g of protein in my shake?
I already explained what's different. It's a very fast acting protein. It's not a chicken breast or a steak that sits in your stomach and has time for your body to slowly break down.

Let me put it to you another way. Why do you stop at 65 grams? Why not have 100 or 200 grams? Because you know there is a limit. I'm telling you when it comes to fast acting protein that limit is much lower than you think.

There is a reason you could not build a great physique on protein powder alone as your only protein source. It's different from food and only useful PWO when you need instant protein. You cannot think of powder as the same as a chicken breast, it isn't.

Unless your using slin with your pwo. Your body is not using that 65 grams guaranteed. Half that at best. Even less so if your natty I'd wager. 1 scoop of protein for a natty PWO is all your body will use like it or not.
epix00 likes this.
Old 05-18-16, 07:06 AM

Superior Freak
Quote:
Originally Posted by epix00 View Post
You should add some protein.
sorry I meant along with the protein

2 scoops whey
1 banana
1/4 - 1/2c of rolled oats
epix00 likes this.
Old 05-19-16, 01:02 PM

Superior Admiral
Quote:
I already explained what's different. It's a very fast acting protein. It's not a chicken breast or a steak that sits in your stomach and has time for your body to slowly break down.

Let me put it to you another way. Why do you stop at 65 grams? Why not have 100 or 200 grams? Because you know there is a limit. I'm telling you when it comes to fast acting protein that limit is much lower than you think.

There is a reason you could not build a great physique on protein powder alone as your only protein source. It's different from food and only useful PWO when you need instant protein. You cannot think of powder as the same as a chicken breast, it isn't.

Unless your using slin with your pwo. Your body is not using that 65 grams guaranteed. Half that at best. Even less so if your natty I'd wager. 1 scoop of protein for a natty PWO is all your body will use like it or not.
Good points bouncer. I'll drop it down to 30g of protein and 20g of dextrose
Old 05-19-16, 01:32 PM

Administrator
20 grams dextrose and 10 grams of malto or sucrose. Dextrose alone don't absorb properly. That's why Gatorade had both types of sugar.
dna9488 likes this.
Old 05-19-16, 10:42 PM

Administrator
Went with the Gatorade powder instead of the bottles. Much cheaper. $9 lasts for 2 months.

1tbsp = 15 grams of carbs so I do 2 tbsp Gatorade powder, 30 grams whey, and 5 grams creatine

dna9488 likes this.
Old 05-20-16, 10:02 AM

Superior Admiral
Good deal man. I might have to give that a try
Old 05-21-16, 09:06 AM

Superior Freak
Do you think PWO shakes are needed even if you eat every 2-3hrs? I thought this was scientifically disproved. Protein shakes are basically clever marketing to gym rats and the rest of the gullible supplement community, billion dollar big business with high profit margins, etc.... no?
mbell4377 likes this.
Old 05-21-16, 09:15 AM

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack tors View Post
Do you think PWO shakes are needed even if you eat every 2-3hrs? I thought this was scientifically disproved. Protein shakes are basically clever marketing to gym rats and the rest of the gullible supplement community, billion dollar big business with high profit margins, etc.... no?
I think fast carbs and fast protein are needed only once per day and that is PWO. Definitely not scientifically disproved, actually a lot of science that proves it. I've posted a good bit of it in the supp articles section the last few months.

I did real food only for years and thought the same way but I've come back around when it comes to PWO.
Old 05-23-16, 09:29 PM

Superior Freak
48 grams ON Whey
10oz whole milk
1 teaspoon creatine
1 banana
Old 05-24-16, 01:23 AM

Administrator
Any strong reason for the milk or you just like it? Seems to me it would slow down the process of protein uptake.
Old 05-24-16, 08:22 PM

Superior Freak
I'm not concerned about the higher fat content or calories and I prefer the taste.

I don't think the whole milk will slow the absorption or digestion of the whey isolate any measurable amount.
Old 05-24-16, 08:34 PM

Administrator
I'm not against whole milk at all. Hell Arnold used to drink pure cream. Have at it bro.

But there are 2 reasons I wouldn't include it in PWO.

Fat is essential throughout the day. The only time it doesn't do a fucken thing for ya though is PWO. The body needs protein and carbs. Fat slows down this digestion process and does nothing beneficial for you in this pwo time frame.

Second reason is the type of protein in milk. Casein slows down digestion of everything it's eaten or drank with. Basically creates a layer of slime that in cases everything else you eat and slows digestion.

IMO of all the times throughout the day that would benefit you from drinking milk especially if bulking, you are picking the single worst time to include it because you "like the taste" and you "don't think it slows digestion much." Fuck sake.

Have the milk before bed with whey. That's the ideal time for slow protein digestion and some fat if bulking.
decadecadeca likes this.
Old 06-08-16, 04:42 PM

Superior Pro
Quote:
Post Workout Shake. Post yours. I like Gatorade because it has dextrose and the proper electrolytes for replenishment. Plus I can get 8 20oz bottles at WinCo for $3.99

Haha, This exactly. Same flavors too. My only difference it I mix 1 scoop of the protein with 1/2-1 cup of liquid egg whites depending on how intense my workout was.
Old 06-08-16, 06:01 PM

Superior Admiral
Finally got my postworkout shake redone.

I add 23g to my 35g of 100% Whey Protein
Bouncer likes this.
Old 06-08-16, 06:09 PM

Administrator
Just fyi dna, i did the math. 2 heaping TBSP of that powder equals exactly 30 grams carbs. i measure mine with a tbsp measure rather than using the scoop that comes with it. So I do 30 grams carbs, 30 grams protein, 5 grams creatine. Nice and rounded.
dna9488 likes this.
Old 06-09-16, 02:21 PM

Superior Pro
2 full scoops of ON Whey strawberry protein
8 ounces of unsweetened almond milk
1 cup of frozen strawberries
Blend
Old 06-10-16, 01:49 PM

Superior Freak
I did that for years with Gatorade... not sure if it made a difference or not.
Old 06-10-16, 02:02 PM

Administrator
Jack you could say that about anything my brother. "I ate 7 meals a day, not sure if it did anything"... "I added an extra 100mgs of test into my cycle not sure if it did anything, I started taking creatine not sure if it did anything... the list goes on and on brother.

Your not always going to notice some extreme difference. But overtime all the things we know to be right due to science and experience make a huge difference.
jack tors likes this.
Old 06-10-16, 02:51 PM

Superior Freak
True but you were the one who made me question some of the BS we are told. I def can say it didn't make me fat and I enjoyed the shake.
Old 06-10-16, 02:52 PM

Administrator
Yup and i still say experiment on your own and don't just blindly follow. But at the same time keep in mind certain basics. Pretty much all the studies and science done on pwo nutrition says that fast acting protein and quick carbs with creatine is superior to anything else we could ingest. Real food is best at every single time of the day.. aside from right after a workout.. the science is unanimous.
Old 06-21-16, 04:41 PM

Superior Newbie
1 scoop of Mutant pro 100 rich chocolate milk
1 scoop of Bell Plantation PB2 (powdered peanut butter)
1 large banana
approximately 8 oz of almond milk
and blend

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0