SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Fitness Section > Training
Reload this Page Stretching Upper Back, Rhomboids, and Scapula

Training Training Styles & Techniques Discussion

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By M00chie69
  • 1 Post By Turbo3000
  • 1 Post By chuckz28
  • 2 Post By Mr I
  • 1 Post By Bouncer
  • 1 Post By M00chie69
  • 1 Post By M00chie69
  • 1 Post By M00chie69
  • 1 Post By Mr I

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-16, 11:13 PM
Stretching Upper Back, Rhomboids, and Scapula

Administrator
Anyone got any good recommendations for those particular muscle groups? Websites, videos, etc.. just need some ideas for some stretches since I'm so tight in those areas. On top of my up coming trigger point/ spasm injections I want to give myself the best chance of fixing this issue as soon as possible.

Thanks
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-16, 03:01 AM

Superior Amateur
Yes. Foundation training. Seriously do this. Read some of the comments on that video. Even the most skeptical people get results from this right away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOTvaRaDjI
Bouncer likes this.
Old 08-14-16, 09:38 AM

Administrator
thanks moochie. I'll definitely give it a go.

any other suggestions from anyone I'm all ears. i'm determined to fix this. I've lived with tight muscles for far to long now.
Old 08-14-16, 10:22 AM

Administrator
This is exactly what I have. I'm sure it has to do with training but I bet most of it has to do with hunching over the computer for years. Doing my best to sit back with proper head posture now.

When people hear "tight muscles" or "spasems" I think they say "ehh big deal you got some tight muscles. Wrong! The spasems in that area can pull on nerves and cause fucken massive pain, I'm talking almost in tears type pain. So yea, this is an absolute must that I have to correct and fix.

Rhomboid Trigger Points: A Pain Between the Shoulder Blades | TriggerPointTherapist.com
Old 08-14-16, 12:09 PM

Founding Member
This guy knows his shit:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CrKstFEd3oU

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zT657soclws

Google Kelley Starrett and try some of his suggestions.
Bouncer likes this.
Old 08-14-16, 02:49 PM

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo3000 View Post
This guy knows his shit:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CrKstFEd3oU

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zT657soclws

Google Kelley Starrett and try some of his suggestions.
thanks brother
Old 08-14-16, 03:26 PM

Founding Member
Foam roll frequently.
Bouncer likes this.
Old 08-14-16, 04:01 PM

VEGETARIAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by M00chie69 View Post
Yes. Foundation training. Seriously do this. Read some of the comments on that video. Even the most skeptical people get results from this right away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOTvaRaDjI
Not sure if you saw this on one of my earlier posts for my back.

It is fantastic
Bouncer and jack tors like this.
Old 08-14-16, 08:40 PM

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckz28 View Post
Foam roll frequently.
already do. helps but need more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr I View Post
Not sure if you saw this on one of my earlier posts for my back.

It is fantastic
will start doing it right away. will report back.
Old 08-15-16, 03:19 AM

Superior Amateur
Just do the foundation training and ignore everything else. This is coming from someone who fought with back issues for 20+ years.
Old 08-15-16, 06:29 PM

Administrator
Quote:
Just do the foundation training and ignore everything else. This is coming from someone who fought with back issues for 20+ years.
That part around the 10 minute mark with the elbows together. I can't even come close putting my elbows together like that. I mean not even close.
Mr I likes this.
Old 08-16-16, 09:48 AM

Administrator
One thing is for sure, I am extremely tight. Evey time I watch any of the stretching videos for various shoulder, trap, scapula stretches.. half the time I can't even get myself into the position to do them correctly because of how tight and unflexable I am. So how the hell do I make any progress in terms of stretching if I can;t even do them properly to begin with?
Old 08-16-16, 11:22 AM

Founding Member
I imagine your ability to use correct form will improve as you do them, increasing the range of motion.
Old 08-17-16, 02:42 AM

Superior Amateur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
That part around the 10 minute mark with the elbows together. I can't even come close putting my elbows together like that. I mean not even close.
I was going to say. You will know right away in how bad shape you are movement wise. That basic move in foundation training is called the founder. You should be able to get your arms above your head, but knew you wouldn't be able to. That's a range of motion issue in your shoulders. Keep doing it and you'll get there. I bet you were shaking and sweating just trying to do those basic moves. I've been there. Bodybuilders typically have pretty awful shoulder mobility.

Read this. You know reddit has the most scientific fact based type skeptical people on the planet, but they vouch for it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightf...n_training_by/
Old 08-18-16, 09:34 AM

Administrator
Quote:
I bet you were shaking and sweating just trying to do those basic moves.
absolutely. insane how much i started sweating just doing stretches. it's like I've trained my body to function in the gym but outside of the gym basic movements are painful and hard.

insanely tight, no doubt it causing most if not all of my spasms and knots.
Old 08-19-16, 03:07 PM

Superior Pro
Have your gf give you a myofascial release massage. Also, use a TENS machine on your spasm areas and knots, you can pick up a decent one for cheap.
Old 08-19-16, 04:03 PM

Administrator
tens machine doesn't go deep enough bro. the muscles in my back are thick and those damn machines hit surface spasm. they literally don't even come close to the area that I need it to hit.
Old 08-19-16, 08:03 PM

Superior Amateur
Just keep working on your non-bodybuilding type movements. It will get better every day. A little bit at a time goes a long way. Also, this exercise will be great for you. All you need is a wall. I try to do these daily. Looks simple but will be hella difficult for you bro:

Stick Ups:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1y9z7g1CMs
Bouncer likes this.
Old 08-19-16, 08:36 PM

Administrator
Quote:
Just keep working on your non-bodybuilding type movements. It will get better every day. A little bit at a time goes a long way. Also, this exercise will be great for you. All you need is a wall. I try to do these daily. Looks simple but will be hella difficult for you bro:

Stick Ups:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1y9z7g1CMs
Christ im tight. Cannot even come close to getting my wrists against the wall.
Old 08-19-16, 09:33 PM

Administrator
Moochie I tell ya what helps me. I place the back sides of my hands behind my back and sort of just rest them on my ass. Then I stand up as straight as I can with chest out and head back looking at ceiling. That whole area I feel pain in trembles and I get almost immediate relief. Any idea the exact muscles I'm stretching when I'm doing that? I feel like it must be scapula/traps/rhomboids/rotators but seems like specific movements give me relief I'd really like to pinpoint exactly that area so I know exactly where to focus the stretching.
Old 08-20-16, 05:16 PM

Superior Amateur
Quote:
Moochie I tell ya what helps me. I place the back sides of my hands behind my back and sort of just rest them on my ass. Then I stand up as straight as I can with chest out and head back looking at ceiling. That whole area I feel pain in trembles and I get almost immediate relief. Any idea the exact muscles I'm stretching when I'm doing that? I feel like it must be scapula/traps/rhomboids/rotators but seems like specific movements give me relief I'd really like to pinpoint exactly that area so I know exactly where to focus the stretching.
I think you're muscles are just constantly constricted and tense.

I'm thinking it's more rotators than anything. Those stick ups are really tough for me. I can get everything on the wall just fine but it kills me to raise my hands up above my head while staying connected to the wall. I get better every day but have to keep doing it. I had a friend try it who has never lifted before and he was able to do it easily and looked at me like I'm crazy.
Bouncer likes this.
Old 08-20-16, 08:23 PM

Administrator
Quote:
I think you're muscles are just constantly constricted and tense.

I'm thinking it's more rotators than anything. Those stick ups are really tough for me. I can get everything on the wall just fine but it kills me to raise my hands up above my head while staying connected to the wall. I get better every day but have to keep doing it. I had a friend try it who has never lifted before and he was able to do it easily and looked at me like I'm crazy.
I think your right. My girl can do all that shit easy.

On one hand I've trained myself to be able to lift weights in a gym in a certain position and angle better than 99% of the planet. Yet on the other hand I can't do basic things that the average person can do easily. Kinda retarded on my part..

Should I be doing these types of stretches daily? How long per session should I be doing these stretches? I'm sure there is a point where overdoing it is harmful as well.
Old 08-21-16, 02:08 AM

Superior Amateur
Quote:
I think your right. My girl can do all that shit easy.

On one hand I've trained myself to be able to lift weights in a gym in a certain position and angle better than 99% of the planet. Yet on the other hand I can't do basic things that the average person can do easily. Kinda retarded on my part..

Should I be doing these types of stretches daily? How long per session should I be doing these stretches? I'm sure there is a point where overdoing it is harmful as well.

I would do it daily or even twice per day. I don't think you can overdo it. Just try to gain a millimeter each day. It will take some time.
Mr I likes this.
Old 08-21-16, 06:58 AM

VEGETARIAN
Keep going with it B
Bouncer likes this.
Old 08-21-16, 05:38 PM

Administrator
I find that doing certain stretches while I'm in the shower really helps. That back of hands against ass and chest out stretch I feel in the tight area works even better with hot as I can stand water running down my back.

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0