Ok guys the boss needs help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok guys the boss needs help.

I dont usually ask questions but im gonna ask your guys oppinion on this. I have to admit that im not that good with taking precautions such as ALA, Milk Thistle, Cranberry juice, etc. to protect my liver and so on. I run 17-aa's often and I wanted your guys thoughts on the best protection for liver, kidneys etc. Are there any new products out there that are better then ALA, Milk Thistle, etc.? Thanks for any help.

I heard NAC is almost a must when running 17aas along w/ r-ALA and milk thistle

Comment

post taken from jboldman on sbi:

This is a blurb from a vitamin site, real info can be found doing a search on medline, definitely a must have.

jb

======================

N-Acetyl Cysteine

NAC is a potent Antioxidant.
      NAC inhibits the carcinogens in Tobacco smoke.
      NAC counteracts the excessive generation of Free Radicals in persons who Exercise:
      NAC can lower Lipoprotein (a) levels by up to 70%.
      NAC inhibits the oxidation of LDL Cholesterol. to order

NAC helps to maintain healthy Lung function, protects the Lungs from Free Radical damage and protects against the development of many ailments of the Lungs.

NAC (1,200 mg per day) helps to prevent Influenza infection, reduces the symptoms of existing Influenza infection and reduces the duration of Influenza infections (especially in elderly and chronically ill people).

N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) (1,800 mg per day) is presently undergoing clinical trials as an enhancer of the Immune System in persons with Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and as a possible means of preventing HIV developing into full-blown AIDS [research to date shows that supplemental NAC can restore Cysteine and Glutathione levels and (significantly) inhibit the replication of the HIV virus].

NAC reduces the toxic side effects of Cyclophosphamide (a Pharmaceutical Drug used to treat some cases of Cancer).

NAC prevents the Liver damage that leads to death after Paracetamol overdose (to be effective NAC must be administered within 12 hours of Paracetamol poisoning (due to NAC stimulating Glutathione production which functions as an Antioxidant and protects the Liver from Paracetamol -induced oxidative damage) [research - this attribute of NAC is well-proven and NAC is now the standard treatment for Paracetamol poisoning].

NAC has been suggested as a viable alternative to Protease Inhibitors for the treatment of AIDS as NAC is an effective Protease Inhibitor.
      NAC protects the body's endogenous Protease Inhibitor Protein (Alpha-1 Antitrypsin) by preventing the oxidation of Methionine residues within this Protein.

NAC helps to prevent various types of Cancer [NAC exerts antimutagenic effects against a wide variety of mutagenic chemicals]:

NAC enhances the effectiveness of Interferon Alpha in the treatment of Hepatitis C (primarily by counteracting the depletion of Glutathione).

NAC raises intracellular Cysteine levels (this intracellular Cysteine is then incorporated into Glutathione).
      NAC prevents the destruction of Glutathione (by preventing the oxidation of Glutathione).

NAC enhances the effectiveness of Interferon Alpha in the treatment of Hepatitis C.
      NAC inhibits the proliferation of Streptococcus pneumoniae (especially in the bronchial tissue of Smokers with chronic Bronchitis).

NAC facilitates the excretion of Arsenic from the body [affected by chronic Arsenic poisoning have been saved from death when administered NAC upon arrival at hospital].
      NAC counteracts the toxic effects of Mercury and helps to remove (chelate) Mercury from the body.

Comment

Good info. Is there a certain place to buy NAC or any supp place will do?

Comment

I think that to protect liver silymarin continuous been the only real efective.

The common milk thistle contains some of the most potent liver protective substances known, a mixture of three flavanolignins colelctively referred to as silymarin. (30-33) The concentration of silymarin is highest in the fruit, but it is also found in the seeds and leaves.
          Silymarin's effect in preventing liver destruction and enhancing liver function relates largely to its ability to inhibit the factors that are responsible for hepatic damage, i.e., free radicals and leukotrienes, coupled with an ability to stimulate liver protein synthesis. (30-33)

Silymarin prevents free radical damage by acting as an antioxidant. Silymarin is many times more potent in antioxidant activity than vitamin E. Silymarin not only prevents the depletion of glutathione (GSH) induced by alcohol and other liver toxins, but it was shown to increase the basal GSH of the liver by 35 per cent over controls in one study. This is extremely useful when exposure to toxic substances is high, due to glutathione's vital role in detoxification reactions.

The protective effect of silymarin against liver damage has been demonstrated in a number of experimental and clinical studies. (30-3 Experimental liver damage in animals can be produced by such diverse toxic chemicals as carbon tetrachloride, amanita toxin, galactosamine and praseodymium nitrate. Silymarin has been shown to protect against liver damage by all of these agents. (30-33)

Another way in which the liver can be damaged is by the action of leukotrienes. These compounds are produced by the transfer of oxygen to a polyunsaturated fatty acid. This reaction is catalysed by the enzume lipoxygenase. Silybum components inhibit this enzyme, thereby inhibiting the formation of these damaging compounds.

Perhaps the most interesting effect of silybum components on the liver is their ability to stimulate protein synthesis. (30-33) The result is an increase in the production of new liver cells to replace the damaged old ones. This demonstrates that silymarin exerts both a protective and restorative effect on the liver.

In human studies, silymarin has been shown to have positive effects in treating liver diseases of various kinds, including cirrhosis, chronic hepatitis, fatty infiltration of the liver (chemical and alcohol induced fatty liver) and inflammation of the bile duct. (32-3 The therapeutic effect of silymarin in all of these disorders has been confirmed by histological (biopsy), clinical and laboratory data. Silymarin is especially effective in the treatment and prevention of toxic chemical or alcohol induced liver damage. (32-3 "

REFERENCES:

30. Hikino, H. Kiso, Y., Wagner, H. and Fiegig, M., "Antihepatotoxic actions of flavonolignans from Silybum marianum fruits", Planta Medica, 1984, 50, pp 248-50
          31.Vogel, G., Trost, W., Braatz, R., et al., "Studies on pharmacodynamics, site and mechanism of action of silymarin the antihpatotoxic principle from Silybum marianum (L.) Gaert"., Arzneim-Forsch, 1975, 25, pp 179-85
          32. Wagner, H., Antihepatotoxic flavonoids", in Cody, V., Middleton, E. and Harbourne, J.D. (eds), Plant flavinoids in Biology and Medicine: Biochemical, Pharmacological and Structure-Activity relationships, Alan R. Liss, New York, NY 1986, pp545-5
          33. Wagner, H., "Plant constituents with antihepatotoxic activity", in Beal, J.L. and Reinhard, E. (eds) Natural Products as Medicinal Agents, Hippokrates-Verlang, Stuttgart, 1981
          34. Sarre, H., "Experience in the treatment of chronic hepatopathies with silymarin", Arzneim-Forsch, 1971, 21, pp 1,209-12
          35. Canini, F., Bartolucci, A., Cristallini, E., et al., "Use of silymarin in the treatment of alcoholic hepatic stenosis", Clin. Ther., 1985, 114, pp 307-14
          36. Salmi, H.A., and Sarna, S., "Effect of silymarin on chemical, functional, and morphological alteration of the liver. A double-blind controlled study" Scand.J.Gastroenterol., 1982, 17, pp 417-21
          37. Scheiber, V., and Wohlzogen, F.X., "Analysis of a certain type of 2 x 3 tables, exemplified by biopsy findings in a controlled clinical trial", Int.J.Clin.Pharmacol., 1978, 16, pp 533-5
          38. Boari, C., Montanari, M., Galleti, G.P., et al., "Occupational toxic liver diseases. Therapeutic effects of silymarin", Min.Med., 1985, 72, pp 2,679-88.

Comment

I like to wash my 17-aa down with a shot of wisky and a beer. you only live once.

Comment

Originally posted by lxorl
              I like to wash my 17-aa down with a shot of wisky and a beer. you only live once.
              :D Me too.

Comment

IP6

Comment

I would recommend Liv52. We carry this along with NAC and Milk Thistle. Liv52 has had the most studies performed on it with great results.

Here is the link: Liv52

World's #1 Natural Liver Support Formula
                  Liv.52 was introduced in 1955 as a specially formulated liver support product. Since then, Liv.52 has been sold worldwide & is widely recognized by thousands of health professionals as one of the most effective liver formulas, with beneficial effects reported in over 300 studies.
                  Liv.52 ensures optimum liver function through the protection of the hepatic parenchyma, and by way of its potent antioxidant properties, it acts as a powerful detoxification agent. Liv.52 neutralizes all kinds of toxins from food, water, air and medications. By protecting one of the body's most important organs, Liv.52 has enormous health benefits for everyone.

Usage
                  Take 1 or 2 tablets twice per day, preferably with meals.

Allow several weeks for full benefit. The use of natural products provides progressive but long-lasting results.

Scientific Validation
                  Liv.52's ability to eliminate toxins has been well studied. In a study of process and the elimination of acetaldehyde, a toxin derived from alcohol (European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 1991, 40 : pp. 189-91), Liv.52 was shown to enhance the urinary secretion of acetaldehyde, suggesting that Liv.52 prevents the binding of acetaldehyde to cell proteins in the liver.

Additional Studies:
                  Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, Vol. 37, August 1999, pp. 762-766.
                  Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, Vol. 32, 1994, pp. 674.

Comment

Originally posted by Power Nutrition
                    I would recommend Liv52.

That's the one I'd recommend too.

Comment

damn good reads bros thanks

Comment

Suma root is the best thing you can take for ou liver it not only will protect you liver burt it will totaly regenerate you liver in a little over a month. It has some great other bennifits too.

Comment

LIV 52 Rocks....;)

Comment

for kidneys cranberry can not be topped....fortunately there is tons of research on it because women have always needed it to clear up bladder infections.

Comment

liv52 is great stuff!

Comment

Working...
                              X