Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

conversion of bromocriptine to dostinex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• conversion of bromocriptine to dostinex?

Has anyone considered to convert bromo into cabergoline? Bromo is dirt cheap per mg and the caber is really expensive. The compounds are closely related to each other, so I wonder if anyone has ever bumped into such a conversion or thought about it?

I'll look it over.

Comment

Here is what I found:

Bromocriptine CAS#25614-03-3 MF C32H40BrN5O5
      AKA: (5'alpha)-2-bromo-12'-hydroxy-2'-(1-methylethyl)-5'-(2-methylpropyl)ergotaman-3',6',18-trione

Cabergoline CAS#81409-90-7 MF C26H37N5O2

Last edited by candle25; 02-06-04, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Damn, how do you see that these are simmilar? If you can synthisize Cabergoline from Bromocriptine, you're a better chemist than me....lol. If it were possible it would be a multi step synthisis.

Comment

They are not identical. I wish I knew how to post a picture.

Cabergoline CAS# is [81409-90-7] and that of bromocriptine is [25614-03-3].

They are structurally related ergo alkyloids.

To answer Sigmund's question, I see no easy way to convert bromocriptine to cabergoline. Even if I could devise some very complicated multistep route, it would undoubtedly turn out to be much more expensive than just buying the cabergoline outright.

Comment

Besides, cabergoline is so much more potent than bromo the prices per dose don't end up being that different. Bromo is dosed at 2.5mg ed where as cabergoline is dosed at 0.25 to 0.5mg every 3 days. That is 15 to 30 times less of a dose than bromo. Is bromo 15 to 30 times cheaper than cabergoline? I don't think so.

Comment

figured out how to post pictures. Here is bromocriptine and cabergoline.
              Attached Files

Comment

Wow, the graphics on this board really suck. You can barely make out the 5 membered ring on the bottom of the structures and you can't read any of the captions.

Anyway, you can see that the real major difference between the two is the top portion of the molecule which is a complex 3-ring structure for bromo and a much simpler acyclic chain for cabergoline.

Comment

Originally posted by spidey
                  the real major difference between the two is the top portion of the molecule which is a complex 3-ring structure for bromo and a much simpler acyclic chain for cabergoline.
                  That is what I was seeing.

Comment

I agree that they differ a lot, but at least the ergoline group. the 5 ring structure at the bottom, is almost identical.

I calculated the price difference per gram as a factor of 315.

Anyway, it is probably too complicated, unless some of these side chains can be bought in one piece.

Comment

The bromide of bromocriptine would have to be reduced off (tributyltin hydride perhaps) and the N-methyl would have to be somehow converted to an N-allyl group (I don't know of a way to do that off-hand).

Comment

Sigmund - you are looking in the wrong place if you think bromo is 315 times cheaper than cabergolin. Try www.mastersmarketing.com . I haven't found a cheaper place for tomoxifin or cabergoline.

Comment

I have seen them, but they don't ship to EU countries!

Comment

Working...
                          X