Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking AS with a Stomach Ulcer??

Hi Guys,

I need your help on a pretty sensitive subject.

Just for a bit of background info: About 9 years ago I had glandular fever and was given a 7 day course of "steriods" by my doctor.

After the 7 day course, I was vomiting blood and had to go to hospital for a week and have a 4 pint blood transfusion!

Apparently what had happened was the "steriods" had worn down my stomach lining, caused and ulcer to form in my stomach but unfortunatly had formed on an artery, so when it burst it caused severe internal bleeding.

Anyway, my question is: Can I take AS? I guess orals are out of the question but what about injectables?

Sorry for the long post but as you can understand, I need to know for SURE before I try it.

Also, I have spoken to my new doctor (not the same one who prescribed me the original steriods) and he advised against it but did say he would advise anyone against AS, so it wasnt specifically for me

What .... No one!!!

Surely there is someone who has some medical knowlege?

Comment

i would suggest speaking with an Endocrinologist along with a DO regarding "hormone replacement therapy" and the possible effects that therapy might have on your situation.

Comment

The stomach lining is protected by prostaglandins called PG2. They are the "good" counterpart of PG1 which is what participates in the inflammation process. This used to be why an anti=inflammatory over a long period of time would result in stomach lining erosion. the PG2 would be reduced as well as the PG1. This is why they developed COX2 inhibitors such as Celebrex and Vioxx. They block PG1 while sparing PG2.

That being said, the steroid can theoretically block the synthesis of both PG1 and PG2 because it acts higher in the inflammatory chain of reactions. I is possible for the steroid to affect your stomach.

Comment

Thanks Muscledoc, so would you say all AS is a no go area, orals or injectables?

In your opinion, is there anything I could maybe take, or at least would be a lesser risk?

Comment

I'm not saying no go, I'm just saying be careful. You could take one of the stomach protective drugs if you really wnated to try.

Cytotec (misoprostol) is used for the prevention of NSAID induced ulcers. It is a synthetic prostoglandin that replaces the stomach protective PG. The usual dosing is oral 200mcg 4x day with food.. This needs to be played with depending on your tolerance for it.

I guess if you really wnated to do AAS you could try Cytotec. It should work.
            Last edited by muscledoc; 02-10-04, 08:22 AM.

Comment

MDoc,

Impressive, very impressive posts.

Comment

Thanks trip. I try:D

Comment

Re: Taking AS with a Stomach Ulcer??

Originally posted by SUBKING
                  Hi Guys,

I need your help on a pretty sensitive subject.

Just for a bit of background info: About 9 years ago I had glandular fever and was given a 7 day course of "steriods" by my doctor.

After the 7 day course, I was vomiting blood and had to go to hospital for a week and have a 4 pint blood transfusion!

Apparently what had happened was the "steriods" had worn down my stomach lining, caused and ulcer to form in my stomach but unfortunatly had formed on an artery, so when it burst it caused severe internal bleeding.

Anyway, my question is: Can I take AS? I guess orals are out of the question but what about injectables?

Sorry for the long post but as you can understand, I need to know for SURE before I try it.

Also, I have spoken to my new doctor (not the same one who prescribed me the original steriods) and he advised against it but did say he would advise anyone against AS, so it wasnt specifically for me
                  By steroids, I would think the doc gave you corticosteroids and not aas. . .they are commonly mixed up; especially here in good ol "the doc gave me some tablets" britain. . .:)
                  As long as you don't have an ulcer now, gear will not do you any harm in my opinion; just go with a nice injectable only run and you should be fine.
                  keep safe
                  CG

Comment

Working...
                  X