Purpose of BA and BB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purpose of BA and BB

I was wondering what the main purpose of BA and BB is. that Ba is quite used compared to BB.
    When are you suppose to use BB.

Benzyl alcohol (BA) is active against Gram positive bacteria and has some weak activity against gram negative bacteria, yeasts and molds. It's weak against gram negative bacteria, which means you could still get a colony in your homebrew... but unlikely with the .45 + 0.20 filter and BA. BB offers some activity against 9 of 10 Gram-positive and Gram-negative strains of bacteria that one study tested, and some fungicide and fungistatic effect against 15 pathogen spores.

Comment

How come only some conversions require BB and some don't. If it helps fight bacterial shouldn't it be used in everything.

Comment

I'd have to look at the specifics of each conversion, but in general I think one should always use both. I've seen the same conversion call for both on one board and only one on another.

Comment

Originally posted by Murtle
          How come only some conversions require BB and some don't. If it helps fight bacterial shouldn't it be used in everything.

Your talking BA. BB is a co-solvent. Long esters don't need BB. The BA is more than enough to hold them in the solution.

Comment

Originally posted by LORDBLiTZ
            Your talking BA. BB is a co-solvent. Long esters don't need BB. The BA is more than enough to hold them in the solution.
            But if you add BB it won't hurt the conversion... will it? BB will just thin out the solution even more.

Comment

It is a co-solvent that is less painful to inject than BA in my experience. Although the added bactereostatic protection is a bonus. Also, it protects against mold and fungus spores better that BA. Human grade test cyp (Upjohn) is 20% BB and only 0.95% BA. Try shooting 20% BA one time and see if you ever want to do THAT again, LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by GATOR
                But if you add BB it won't hurt the conversion... will it? BB will just thin out the solution even more.
                Correct

Comment

Okay say I'm going to put both in a conversion Ba is usally 5% correct, so what would I put the BB in as.

Comment

Originally posted by Murtle
                    Okay say I'm going to put both in a conversion Ba is usally 5% correct, so what would I put the BB in as.

What are you making?

Comment

making sust or primo.
                      I've heard by adding BB to any solution doesnt hurt, thats why I was wondering the percentage.

Comment

S250 will be around 15%. No clue on the primo.

Comment

How do I know what to add when to add without always asking. is there a rule of thumb for this stuff. Or do I just have to ask all the time.

Can I add say 10% of BB to all my conversions or could this cause a problem

Comment

10% BB wont hold most short esters. You'll know if you need to add it when your shit crashes.

Comment

Thanks Lord for all the Help. One more question. How do you detrermine if an ester is long or short. And I assume that 15-20% is amp for short esters.

Comment

Working...
                              X