Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wellbutrin XL - I get a KICK out of this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wellbutrin XL - I get a KICK out of this...

While the government is busy trying to bring down what seems to be a hopeless attempt in the world of anibolic steroids, companies like this are given FDA approval to not only get rich, but to offer this to the public to begin with.

Check this out:

"WELLBUTRIN XL is prescribed for the treatment of depression, but it is not for everyone. If you take WELLBUTRIN XL, there is a risk of seizure, which is increased in patients with certain medical problems or in patients taking certain medicines. Do not take if you have or had a seizure or eating disorder. Don't use if you take an MAOI, or any medicine that contains bupropion such as WELLBUTRIN SR or ZYBAN. You should not take WELLBUTRIN XL if you are abruptly stopping the use of alcohol or sedatives, as the risk of seizure may increase. When used with a nicotine patch or alone, there is a risk of increased blood pressure, sometimes severe. To reduce risk of serious side effects, tell your doctor if you have liver or kidney problems. Other side effects may include weight loss, dry mouth, nausea, difficulty sleeping, dizziness, and sore throat."
    • Do not take if you have had a seizure or EATING DISORDER
    • Increased risk of blood pressure, sometimes severe
    • Plus, it effects the liver and kidneys
    • Weight Loss
    • Nausea
    • Difficulty Sleeping
    • Diziness

Yeah, sign me up! How in the world is this stuff even on the market? Whenever I see this commercial, I just laugh. I laugh my fuckin' ass off.

Then there's the birth control commercials. Seasonale which they claim that a woman will only have 4 periods a year. Yeah, that's safe.

Sorry about this. I just wanted to see how some of the other people here felt. I just get a kick out of it.

Also, no offense to anyone that may be taking this or any other medication for that matter. It's just neat to see how the FDA works. ;) Heck! I was on Lithium for a year and a half. Yeah, there's another winner. :)

Cheers!
    Last edited by decadan; 04-20-04, 08:52 AM.

wellbutrin helps a lot of people with depression. it's not an ssri - but rather a stimulant. just because you don't need it, doesn't mean that it hasn't been useful for other people. it was also first developed to help people stop smoking.

the warning are because of the nature of the type of drug it is.

as far as seasonale is concerned, until you've been a woman and have had to deal with monthly periods, i don't think you should knock drug companies trying to come up with drugs which limit mense. it's a pain in the ass and truthfully - i wouldn't use it - but i understand where the developers are coming from.

Comment

A stimulant, yes... With dopamine.

I'm not knocking them at all. It's just find it to be quite a paradox in the sense of where the government is focusing their efforts. That's all.

Also, the fact that the FDA has a "Detoxification Protocol" for Wellbutrin. Why? Because it is highly addictive and toxic to the system.

And as far as a women is concerned. I may not be a women, but a woman was designed to have her period once a month for a reason. That's all I am saying. Even my wife was floored by that one. ;)

I appologize if I have offended you or anyone else. It was merely an observation/opinion on my part. To me, it seems that Wellbutrin has more serious consiquences than the occasional use of AAS. And by occasional, I mean within reason once or twice a year. That's all.

Cheers!
      Last edited by decadan; 04-20-04, 09:17 AM.

Comment

:)

i didn't mean to bitchy, just in a bit of a snotty mood this morning. i didn't sleep well b/c it was so hot in our room last night.

Comment

If you read the info on any prescription drug they all read like this. FDA requires extensive testing and drug companies are required to disclose any and all types of reactions, in general every pamphlet reads like that.

IMHO, FDA is one of our great govt. organizations, they do way way more good than bad.

Life is not perfect, and these drugs are lifesavers for many people.

Imagine if you lived 30 or so years ago and did not have access to this modern miracle. Depression back then was a life long disease, now it gives hopes and helps a large majority of folks who struggle with this, something on the order of 80%.

These drugs are becoming successful because depression is now openly discussed by all types of people and more and more folks are going, hmmmmmmm, sounds like me.

It's all good. Course just one opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by sana
            i didn't sleep well b/c it was so hot in our room last night.
            No air conditioner?

Comment

Originally posted by hitmansb
              No air conditioner?
              someone turned it off before he went to bed and neglected to open the windows in the bedroom :mad:

Comment

you should've turned it right back on....

if the 'big wuss' complains about being cold at night, he can always throw an extra blanket on his side of the bed (that's what my wife does, as I like the bedroom as cold as possible sleep well):D

Comment

Originally posted by sana
                  :)

i didn't mean to bitchy, just in a bit of a snotty mood this morning. i didn't sleep well b/c it was so hot in our room last night.
                  It's alright. I figured it was not intentional - and you weren't being "bitchy." :)

I guess people took this a little more seriously than I thought they would. Maybe it's my sick sense of humor. I just find some of these commercials funny. Especially the one (I think it's Nexium), that says, "Sudden bleeding may occur." That's funny! I can just imagine someone talking to their buddy and all of a sudden, blood starts trickling out of their ear. Their buddy is like, "Umm... John... You have something right there..."

I happen to be a fan of Monte Python, old Saturday Night Live, Kids in the Hall, etc. So, that would explain why my mind may go off more towards the comical side of things - as you may tell from some of my signatures. ;)

As far as these companies. No doubt they are beneficial. My family history is clear as far as health problems are concerned. No heart disease. No cancer. Nothing. Just mental illness. So, I am WELL aware of these drugs and their benefits.

Again, I am sorry if I offended anyone. I love you guys and would never intentionally want to hurt anyone. :)

Cheers!

Comment

...and I'm on Wellbutrin-XL now. LOL!!!!

Now THAT'S a kick in the pants!!! Figured you all would get a kick out of that.

Comment

Originally posted by trip
                      If you read the info on any prescription drug they all read like this. FDA requires extensive testing and drug companies are required to disclose any and all types of reactions, in general every pamphlet reads like that.

IMHO, FDA is one of our great govt. organizations, they do way way more good than bad.

It's all good. Course just one opinion.

I agree we need strict regulations on medicines that are being made for us and also that technology has allowed life long illnesses like depression to be treated and for people to live better lives but................
                      Have you ever looked at who's sitting in positions such as senators, house of rep., delagates, etc. Has anyone ever wondered why high ranking retired officials of pharmaceutical companies sit in some of those seats? They keep tight reins on political views and direct politicans to protect them and keep us at their mercy. Pharmaceutical companies donated the most money to George W. Bushs' campaign last time around. They also are the biggest contributors to giving politicians money for their agendas and give them plenty of gifts!
                      Why aren't we allowed to order meds from out of country like Canada, which have just as strict FDA like guidelines. It's to keep US pharmaceuticals filthy rich and to control the market, not to protect us!
                      Every wondered why the US is the most immune against antibiotics? Pharmaceuticals have and still do push doctors to give their meds whenever someone has the sniffles. They also pad doctors pockets to give their medicines over generic meds. I have two family members that work for two different doctors offices and they always are telling me how pharmaceutical reps come in buying catered lunches once a month and give out free stuff to doctors and their employess. Their not doing it to be nice!!!
                      The FDA is a good organization with good intentions. The people directing the FDA are the corrupted ones that push the FDA to allow certain medicines on the market ahead of schedule or with doubts for their own benefit.
                      What are the two most powerful organizations(over government) in the world?? OPEC and Pharmaceutical Companies.
                      Not trying to get you fired up TRIP, just wanted to give my viewpoint on a comment you made, thats all. Have read many articles on this problem and thought others need to think about these things.
                      Last edited by iridiumblue; 11-08-05, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Wellbutrin is a dopamine and norepinephrin reuptake inhibitor. It works for some people for which SSRI's do not. I was diagnosed with depression 10 years ago and have tried several different antidepressants. Most either did not help at all, made it worse, or even made me psychotic. Wellbutrin is the only one that helped.

I don't suffer any of the sides listed and in truth, neither does the great majority of people who take it. Drug companies are required by law to list every side that has ever been observed. Even if the incidence of occurence is very rare. Look up the laundry list of sides for aspirin or tylenol sometime.....

Comment

I know several people who've been helped by Wellbutrin including myself. However I'm now on Cymbalta and for me it's working much better than Wellbutrin ever did but it has lowered my sex drive whereas Wellbutrin did not. The Cymbalta has been better for the relief of depression for me and it has the benefit of working as a pain management drug which has been a highly important issue for me.

All drugs, prescription and OTC have a huge list of possible side effects. You have to weigh the pro's and con's based on where you're coming from personally.

Comment

Working...
                          X