No announcement yet.

diuretic question for the competitors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diuretic question for the competitors?

I've decided to go with diazide for my contest diuretic. Just wondering what you guys think as for doses and how far out I should start it.
    I do plan on a dry run this weekend, which is 4 weeks out, to see how I respond

I dont know much about diuretkcs. I would also like to know some good info on it, maybe throw us a FAQ on the subject of drying out for a show with diuretics. The owner fot he board BOUNCER is a national competitor. Who better than to school us here.

Comment

bouncer, where you at?

Comment

I would run aldactone at 50mgs a day (in split 25mg doses) for five days prior to weigh in which Im guessing for your show is on Friday night. On Saturday morning continue with the aldactone and also throw in a diazide. This has proved successful for many of my clients (I am a trainer). Give it a try and let me know just how dry you got, post some pics if possible. Good luck at your show. BTW, With this regime watch your sodium, but there is no need to up your potassium anything crazy.

Comment

Do I have to start so far out? Its actually a saturday show, I was hoping to start on thurs or even better friday. Thats why originally I wanted to go with lasix, only need to start the day before.
          I just dont like the idea of dying of thirst for that many days in a row

Comment

needsize, I don't compete or anything, but I do know a little about diuretics. To get really 'thin-skinned', it's gonna take a few days. Your body will only let go of so much water in a day, no matter what drug you take. That, and shedding a little water every day for 5 days is a lot healthier than dehydrating like a mofo for 2 days. Being gradual will be easier on your system, and you'll be less likely to cramp; remember, you do have to hold poses up there.

Comment

I would do 50 mg aldactone on tues and wed, 50mg aldactone and 40mg lasix on thurs and 50mg aldactone and 40mg lasix on friday. You may want to restrict fluid intake to one half of normal on thursday and friday. I never restrict fluid and this method has worked for me and a host of others that I have worked with. I believe that lasix and aldactone are unbeatable. Good luck in your show.

Comment

I know Ronnie Coleman is a pro and HUGE, so this doesnt go for many poeple, but this is what he stated he does.

He takes 100mg aldectone from that monday and then on the day of the show, he switches to aldectiazide becuase it is potassium sparing. Without the potassium sparing diuretic if you dry out too much, you could cramp up easily.

Comment

IMO stay away from lasix it could make you look flat and cramp up. Aldactone is mild so you need to start about 5 days ahead of time. Limit your fluids but dont go crazy, about 1/2 gallon will be fine for the first few days. Judge the next few days of water intake by the way you look. The diazide should get the last bit of H20 off you, so stay off the lasix if possible IMO lasix is a last resort if you cant get the better safer diuretics.

Comment

Needsize - I responded to this on EF with a plan based on experience.

DrG

Comment

Posted it there, but I guess I can cut and paste it. Wouldn't do it if ya didn't ask so sweet.... :D

Here is how I would run it while using aldactone as the "base" diuretic. I usually run aldactone at 50mg twice a day starting on the tuesday before show.

tues - 50mg aldactone 2x's a day
                      wed - 50mg aldactone 2x's a day
                      thur - 50mg aldactone 2x's a day
                      fri - 50mg aldactone 2x's a day
                      diazide approximately 5pm @ 1 tab (50/25)

sat am - 50mg aldactone and diazide @ 1 tab (50/25) approximately 3 hours before hitting the stage for prejudging.

sat late afternoon - 50mg aldactone and diazide if needed @ 1 tab (50/25) approximately 3 hours before hitting stage for evening show.

Now, of course I would still play this instinctively. If I am on, I may hold back on the diuretic dosage and/or adjust it as needed. Actually, now that I think back about it, you may not even need that much diazide. What I did last year was 1 diazide Friday night then only 1/2 on Saturday morning and I think another half later and that worked reasonably (I was afraid of looking flat). Good luck with a test run.

DrG

Comment

Thanks bro, that sounds like the plan then. I was going to do a dry run to see how I respond but not much point when it'll take that long

Comment

good luck bro.....

i have lasix too, but frig that, i do not want to cramp up or worse look flat as it can pull from the muscles as stated...

so i am going with aldactizide starting 5-6 days out.....gunna have to research throwing in a dyazide or lasix the day b4 though.....

Comment

Needsize - over at professionalmuscle, my "home" board, there are a lot of competitors who have tons more experience at depleting, diuretics, and all other aspects of contest prep than me. You might want to go there and post as the ratio of competitors (including a few pro's) to others board members is quite high.

DrG

Comment

thanks bro, I'll check it out

Comment

Working...
                              X