autoclaving gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• autoclaving gear

if i autoclave my gear at 273 degrees an 15lbs pressure with that degrade the AAS?

why do you want to auto clave your gear anyway? Autocvlaves are good to sterilize the surfaces of things, like sterile vials is you have the right setup, but not the gear itself. filter though a .2 micron filter and be done with it, at least 1 to 3% ba and a filtering will render your gear sterile.

To answer your question maybe, you could force water into your gear with the pressure so unless your making ampules I would not bother

Comment

What he said.

On a side note though, I do plan to autoclave my empty vials from now on. I learned that the research companies we buy them from do not autoclave them. They just soak them in BA and heat them to like 100 deg C. That is not sufficient to destroy spores and I got a nasty infection from a vial I bought from GPZ.

Comment

Originally posted by spidey
        What he said.

On a side note though, I do plan to autoclave my empty vials from now on. I learned that the research companies we buy them from do not autoclave them. They just soak them in BA and heat them to like 100 deg C. That is not sufficient to destroy spores and I got a nasty infection from a vial I bought from GPZ.
        I did not know that. I can get better then that with vet supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by spidey
          What he said.

That's pretty bad; I agree 100C and some form of antiseptic isn't sufficient, not for me anyway. I always autoclave the glass and supplies (primarily because your post on .2 sterile filtering woke me up a bit; I use it as a link in my sig on the boards I have responsibilities at). A****gylabs heat their vials to over 300F (don't remember exactly) to sterilize; they switched to Kimble glass on the larger vials because the Wheatons had some kind of flaw that would cause it to fracture at higher temps.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyefire
            why do you want to auto clave your gear anyway? Autocvlaves are good to sterilize the surfaces of things, like sterile vials is you have the right setup, but not the gear itself. filter though a .2 micron filter and be done with it, at least 1 to 3% ba and a filtering will render your gear sterile.

To answer your question maybe, you could force water into your gear with the pressure so unless your making ampules I would not bother
            Dittos to what Skye said; you can only risk autoclaving what you are willing to have totally saturated, and solutions do not fit that bill. Pressure differentials make the risk too great, especially when you figure in the additional internal pressure of expansion caused by heat; outside and inside pressure fluctuations plus the added possibility of a glass fracture/explosion from weakened glass caused by elevated pressures make this a no-no.

Comment

I did autoclave a 200 mg/mL solution of mesterolone enanthate without any decomposition.

I was almost done filtering when the filter broke and the rest of the stuff in the syringe just shot in and contaminated the whole lot. I didn't have another vial and mesterolone (proviron) doesn't have any double bonds so it should be less likely to oxidize or otherwise go to shit.

I vented the vial with a steel syringe needle and popped that sucker in the autoclave. I analyzed the mixture afterward and could not find any changes.

Our autoclave only goes to 120 deg C with pressure so the temperature wasn't too extreme. I wouldn't recommend autoclaving tren but I think things like test, deca, EQ would PROBABLY be OK under those conditions. I still would recommend filtering through a 0.2 micron filter but, in a pinch, autoclaving is a viable alternative in some cases.

Comment

Thanks to evreyone for the excellent info!

Comment

Working...
                X