Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A GH question-can't find any info.

Taken from the GH info from Superior Muscle

" Slipped capital femoral epiphysis or avascular necrosis of the femoral head may be seen in children with advanced renal osteodystrophy, and it is uncertain whether these problems are affected by GH therapy. X-rays of the hip should be obtained prior to initiating GH therapy for CRI patients. Physicians and parents should be alert to the development of a limp or complaints of hip or knee pain in patients treated with Saizen.

Slipped capital femoral epiphysis may occur more frequently in patients with endocrine disorders or in patients undergoing rapid growth. "

Here is the question.

I HAD surgery for "slipped capital fermoral epiphysis" when I was a kid. The doctors told me back then that I grew a bit too quickly in a short time.

Esentially my hip bone slipped out of the socked a bit, you walk with a limp and they pin them back in. The pins were removed a year or so later.

I had this problem in BOTH hips. Granted it was 25 years ago.

Is this the kiss of death for me ever being able to use this stuff?

I tried a bit of searching and I was not able to find any additional info.

Re: A GH question-can't find any info.

Originally posted by TheStromba
    Taken from the GH info from Superior Muscle

" Slipped capital femoral epiphysis or avascular necrosis of the femoral head may be seen in children with advanced renal osteodystrophy, and it is uncertain whether these problems are affected by GH therapy. X-rays of the hip should be obtained prior to initiating GH therapy for CRI patients. Physicians and parents should be alert to the development of a limp or complaints of hip or knee pain in patients treated with Saizen.

Slipped capital femoral epiphysis may occur more frequently in patients with endocrine disorders or in patients undergoing rapid growth. "

Here is the question.

I HAD surgery for "slipped capital fermoral epiphysis" when I was a kid. The doctors told me back then that I grew a bit too quickly in a short time.

Esentially my hip bone slipped out of the socked a bit, you walk with a limp and they pin them back in. The pins were removed a year or so later.

I had this problem in BOTH hips. Granted it was 25 years ago.

Is this the kiss of death for me ever being able to use this stuff?

I tried a bit of searching and I was not able to find any additional info.
    great question, unfortainitly i have no clue. i will bump this for ya though. :)

Comment

Reason this is so prevalent in young/pubescent teens is because they are undergoing large growth spurts. With regard to the Saizen quote, kids who are GH deficient and take GH injections will have growth spurts (like normal kids or even more pronounced growth) and the likelyhood of them experiencing a slippage is thus increased. Again, notice how this is childhood disease, not an adult disease.

Key point here is that the slippage is largely related (but not entirely related as other factors, such as endocrine disorders can have effect) to rate of bone growth. Stromba, at your age (late 30's) there is no bone growth, just bone loss (slowly same for everyone; GH will slow this tho). So there should be no issue with you using GH and slippage at this point in your life.

DrG

Comment

Originally posted by drgoodbody
        Reason this is so prevalent in young/pubescent teens is because they are undergoing large growth spurts.
        And the epiphyseal cartilage (growth plates) is still open.

Comment

Thanks Doc, I suspected that, just wanted to be sure.

One more question.... I have read that GH can help repair some joint cartilage, and I also have read that Joint pain is a common side effect. What's up with that ? :)

The hip surgery I had as a kid has contributed to some arthritis that I have now (the docs told me it would happen)

I have to be careful about anything that affects joints.

Comment

Working...
          X