Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Syringe filter (up to 10X faster than whatmans)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syringe filter (up to 10X faster than whatmans)

Have a new rig I've been experimenting with, and it allows up to 10X the filtration speed of the whatmans. I'm testing a beta version, and the final version should be available this month. This reusable (autoclavable) filtration unit is built on a 47mm filter chassis, has stainless steel fittings, and is about the most versatile filtration unit I've ever seen; here are some filtration options:

1) Filter method #1 is a flexible output on a custom length of tubing, with a luer output for a needle. This allows you to sit down while filtering, all the while finding a comfortable position to squeeeeeze the syringe, and filtering it into the vials, bottles, etc. which are set up on a table/bench in front of you; just insert the needle and a venting needle into your vial and fill 'er up. Tubing is 1/16", and that works out to be ~.5ml/ft, if I figure right. So you can run 2 feet of sterile tubing to your vial, and only have around 1 ml of fluid taking up this space.

2) Filter method #2 is just as cool. Say you have plenty of syringes, but no vials because you didn't plan ahead. No problem. Just hook a syringe up to the F luer output, and either preload your own syringes, or load a bigger syringe (60cc, etc.) and stick a needle on it to keep it sterile. You can put negative pressure on the filtration unit from the output side as well, to make filtration even faster.

The filtration unit also comes with a needle stopper intended to keep the filter output sterile until it is removed to use the filter. This stopper seals the filter output while sterilizing, and keeps filtration unit output sterile even while out of the sterile pouch until needle stopper is removed. You can even sterilize unit without the sterile pouch, as the stopper seals off the output tip from bacteria and pyrogens.

Filtration unit input and output are 100% 316 stainless steel. This unit is up to 10X faster than a whatman 25mm filter (max allowable pressure is greater), and can filter up to 400-500ml with a .45um filter (.22um is recommended for sterile filtration); one filter takes the place of 3-4 whatmans, and filters the amount of solution those 3-4 whatmans do in close to 1/8 the time. I'll keep you posted once they become available. This filtration unit is intended for the clarifying or sterilizing filtration of liquids and solvents, and is compatible with many solvents and liquids.
    Last edited by GIJoe; 03-06-05, 09:26 AM.
Working...
X