@#%#$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @#%#$

I tore my fricking bicep. I was just starting to make some good headway after a long plateau; gained some good mass and dropped some BF. I didn't even tear it in the gym! I guess I am getting old. I took my son to the park and was horsing around with him. All I did was swing hand over hand on the monkey bars with him. I was a little sore that night but didn't think too much of it. Then, yesterday, I went to the gym. It was chest/triceps day so I started out on the bench. My arm was hurting but I still didn't think too much of it. I finished my bench sets and then my arm was just throbbing. I was like "damn tendons" I have had problems with tendons for years so I was just going to work through it. I did one set of triceps pull downs and I just couldn't handle any more. I still didn't know what was wrong until I walked over to the mirror and I could see the bruising at the top of my bicep. Then I was like "SHIT, I tore a muscle". I must have overextended my arm on those damn monkey bars; how embarrasing is that. I quit right then and went home and iced it down and took some Aleve. I couldn't use my arm for the rest of the night.

What should I do now? Should I take it totally off from the gym for a couple weeks to let it heal or should I just try to take it easy; use light weights and just get in some reps. What do you think?

Well is is the bruising only a small area or is the whole bicep bruised? If the whole muscle has torn you need to get the bicep re-atached. The muscle actually rolls up your arm.

Comment

fuck that bro take the time off go see a doc and make sure of whats goin on! good luck.

Comment

Take the time to focus on legs, leave the arm alone. I've torn my pec now twice and I can tell you from experience trying to work the muscle before it is ready is not a good idea. I have to be so delicate with my chest workouts now and I know that it will be easier for it to happen next time. My days of ever achieving a high bench press are over, now I just focus on getting that pump. I would definitely take the time off.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER
          Well is is the bruising only a small area or is the whole bicep bruised? If the whole muscle has torn you need to get the bicep re-atached. The muscle actually rolls up your arm.
          It's just a small area about the size of a nickle on the inside top of my bicep. I can use my arm a little today. I have full range of motion so I don't think it will require surgery. Do you think I should still go get it looked at?

Comment

I would get it looked at. Simply because it might be very close to getting worse. Go see what the doc says. He will problly say not to use that arm for awhile but I would do it just to be safe.

Comment

I will email him today. Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess I will be doing a lot of cardio and leg work for a few weeks. It really sucks since I set a new personal best on the bench yesterday even with the torn bicep. I hope I don't loose ground.

Comment

I would let it heal up first

Comment

sorry to hear bro, yeah I'd get it checked out before doing anything

Comment

That sucks bro, I know how it feels to have to stop working out in similar circumstances, I agree with everyone above, get it checked out and take some time off from upperbody workouts, a short break now, is better than a longer break with perhaps lifelong limitations later. Best of luck to you bro

PD

Comment

Live to fight another day. Take your doctor's advice, rest and heal up soon, Spidey! I wiped out a rotator cuff because it was damaged and I decided to "take it easy" but I still ended up tearing it to 45%! It took me a year to get back what I lost.

Comment

"I could see the bruising at the top of my bicep." - hopefully you strained the tendon - rest for 2 weeks or a partial tear 2-4weeks. Full rupture could be a while, but you didnt see a buldge in the arm (you would know most likely). Surgery is minor.

Shibby would know better...get it checked out immediately.

Hey bro theres one rule to always remember DO NOT TRAIN WHEN INJURED!! Do you want a life long problem spot or injury?

Comment

Originally posted by NYCmitch25
                          "I could see the bruising at the top of my bicep." - hopefully you strained the tendon - rest for 2 weeks or a partial tear 2-4weeks. Full rupture could be a while, but you didnt see a buldge in the arm (you would know most likely). Surgery is minor.

Shibby would know better...get it checked out immediately.

Hey bro theres one rule to always remember DO NOT TRAIN WHEN INJURED!! Do you want a life long problem spot or injury?
                          Tendons do not heal either man, so, it's kind of ignorant to say you hope it's a tendon. That can be just as bad. It's best if it was an injured muscle, nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by shortz
                            Tendons do not heal either man, so, it's kind of ignorant to say you hope it's a tendon. That can be just as bad. It's best if it was an injured muscle, nothing else.

Definatly. Tendon/ligament and cartlidge are the worst things to injure. It takes so much to get better and isn't really ever 100%. It mostly just scars up. It still needs and adequte blood supply to prevent replacement surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by shortz
                              I think this was misconstrude. I left out the word "just". It was late so I appoligize for the confusion. Let me clarify "hopefully -if its the tendon- its only a strain of the tendon"...NOT to be confused with "I hope your strained your tendon". The tendon can't be ruled out (not infrequently), hopefully its not a grade II severity (again Shibby would know better). Another aspect which caught my attention and moved my focus to the tendon is the statement he made"has had tendon problems in the past" As I said Shibs would know better (hes the expert not me). My god of coarse I hope for the best -jeez.

Biceps Strain details -
                              From Complete Guide to Sports Injuries by H. Winter Griffith, M.D.

The muscle, tendon and attached bone comprise a unit. The unit stabilizes the elbow and shoulder joints and allows their motion. A strain occurs at the weakest part of a unit. Strains are of 3 types:

Mild (Grade I)--Slightly pulled muscle without tearing of muscle or tendon fibers. There is no loss of strength.
                              Moderate (Grade II)--Tearing of fibers in a muscle, tendon or at the attachment to bone. Strength is diminished.
                              Severe (Grade III)--Rupture of the muscle-tendon-bone attachment with separation of fibers. Severe strain requires surgical repair. Chronic strains are caused by overuse. Acute strains are caused by direct injury or overstress.

BODY PARTS INVOLVED
                              --------------------

Biceps muscle.
                              Biceps tendon.
                              Humerus and bones of the shoulder.
                              Soft tissue surrounding the strain, including nerves, periosteum (covering to bone), blood vessels and lymph vessels. {70}

SIGNS & SYMPTOMS
                              --------------------

Pain when moving or stretching the biceps muscle.
                              Muscle spasm.
                              Swelling around the injury.
                              Loss of strength (moderate or severe strain).
                              Crepitation ("crackling") feeling and sound when pressed with fingers.
                              Calcification of the muscle or tendon (visible with X-rays).
                              Inflammation of the sheath covering the tendon.

CAUSES
                              --------------------

Prolonged overuse of muscle-tendon units in the biceps of the upper arm.
                              Single violent blow or force applied to the biceps.

PROBABLE OUTCOME
                              If this is a first-time injury, proper care and sufficient healing time before resuming activity should prevent permanent disability. Torn ligaments and tendons require as long to heal as fractured bones. Average healing times are:

Mild strain--2 to 10 days.
                              Moderate strain--10 days to 6 weeks.
                              Severe strain--6 to 10 weeks. If this is a repeat injury, complications listed above are more likely to occur.
                              Last edited by NYCmitch25; 04-13-05, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X