Coming back from injury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming back from injury

How long do you think one really needs to wait after an injury to start a cycle of something? I have had to take about 5weeks off lifting now, and I'm just getting back into it this week. Obviously, I wouldn't start anything until I was lifting full strength again but is there any reason to wait any longer once I'm full strength?

i would say for you once your back to full strength you can go ahead. just take your time gettin there! rule of tumb for me is once i think im ok wait another week to be sure! hehe thats just my own lil thing.

Comment

I'd think once you're back up to par, you should be all good to go. Anything earlier would just be unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by BBAddict
        How long do you think one really needs to wait after an injury to start a cycle of something? I have had to take about 5weeks off lifting now, and I'm just getting back into it this week. Obviously, I wouldn't start anything until I was lifting full strength again but is there any reason to wait any longer once I'm full strength?

6-8 wks is my suggestion.

Comment

go slow and stop at any sign of re-occurance

Comment

I would also say that depending on what your taking... What are the possabilties of it masking any reacurance(sp)?

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby
              I would also say that depending on what your taking... What are the possabilties of it masking any reacurance(sp)?
              None at all--it is/was a broken rib. I've started back, trying to work back into it slowly, but I really want to move some heavy weights--it's hard to force myself to ease back into it.

Comment

None at all--it is/was a broken rib. I've started back, trying to work back into it slowly, but I really want to move some heavy weights--it's hard to force myself to ease back into it.
                belive me i understand i had a bad hip flexor that took forever to heal and i just worked on it real slow. now im squating more than before i guess the long rest helped with something.

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKETW19
                  belive me i understand i had a bad hip flexor that took forever to heal and i just worked on it real slow. now im squating more than before i guess the long rest helped with something.
                  I hope resting pays off long term cause I've just started back and I'm trying to take it slow, but I feel weak as hell. I tried pushing my chest harder this morning and I'm sure my lifts are down a good 30%! Next week better be better cause this sucked. Legs were alright though, which was really encouraging, but then I was able to do some stuff for legs w/o bothering my ribs.

Comment

Well a broken bone is the best injury you can have, if that dosn't sound to ironic. But now I remeber you telling us about it when it happened. This isn't ecaxtlly scientific, but if you want to test what kind of stress you can put on it... You could test it by laying some ankle weights across where it broke and take deep breaths. About 10lbs should do.

Comment

You could test it by laying some ankle weights across where it broke and take deep breaths. About 10lbs should do.
                      Thanks! I was going to drop a 14lb medicine ball on it last night to see how it felt, but decided that might not be so brilliant just yet (I was tossing it up and letting it fall on my abs to practice taking gut shots). I'll try the ankle weight idea tonight. So far, it's felt pretty good lifting lighter weights.

Comment

Thanks! I was going to drop a 14lb medicine ball on it last night to see how it felt, but decided that might not be so brilliant just yet (I was tossing it up and letting it fall on my abs to practice taking gut shots). I'll try the ankle weight idea tonight. So far, it's felt pretty good lifting lighter weights.
                        :laughnew: I could just see there still being a stress line seperation and your ribcage just collapsing. Seriously though you could start on the good side and slowly roll the ball across your chest to see how different points of stress feel.

Comment

I could just see there still being a stress line seperation and your ribcage just collapsing.
                          Yeah, that's why I didn't do it! I can just imagine puncturing my lungs and then having to explain that to the doc. I've been accused of being academically smart with absolutely no common sense--I suppose that would have fallen into that common sense category!

Comment

Just know your body bro. If you have pain then you're not ready. A lot of people like to say that you should just push through the pain and if you don't your a pussy. If there's still pain then there is still a problem and you shouldn't be rushing it. Your body will tell you when you're ready.

Comment

pain management is only part of it. you cant always rely on that just ask Chad Pennington. In your case with a fracture give it a few more weeks. you've waited this long whats a few more weeks? any pain?

Comment

Working...
                              X