Anti depresants and water ret.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti depresants and water ret.

do anti depresants like xanax and ativan make you retain more water than usual?

I have never noticed any water retention while using xanax

Comment

ok cool... i run either those or ativan alot and never really noticed much but i was just curious.. i gotta show in a week and half and thought if they did cause extra bloat i'd stop em a week out

Comment

Originally posted by joe bigboy
        do anti depresants like xanax and ativan make you retain more water than usual?

I've heard of paxil doing this.

Comment

yea paxil does bigtime with me, my doc tried me on that a few years ago and damn i got all puffy from it

Comment

those arent antidepressants they are benzodiazepines used for anti-anxiety which are commonly misprescribed as antidepressants.

Comment

Originally posted by al the chemist
              those arent antidepressants they are benzodiazepines used for anti-anxiety which are commonly misprescribed as antidepressants.

I went and read on this and found it intersting. I can see how it easly can be confused. Here is some of what I found to further go into what Al The Chemist said.

An antidepressant is a medication designed to treat or alleviate the symptoms of clinical depression. Some antidepressants, notably the tricyclics, are commonly used off-label in the treatment of neuropathic pain, whether or not the patient is depressed. Smaller doses are generally used for this purpose, and they often take effect more quickly. Many antidepressants also are used for the treatment of anxiety disorders, and tricyclic antidepressants are used in the treatment of chronic pain disorders such as chronic functional abdominal pain (CFAP), myofascial pain syndrome, and post-herpetic neuralgia.

Well-known antidepressants are:

Fluoxetine - of the SSRI class (Prozac, Sarafem, Fluctin, Fontex, Prodep, Fludep, Lovan)
              Sertraline - of the SSRI class (Zoloft, Lustral, Apo-Sertral, Asentra, Gladem, Serlift, Stimuloton)
              Venlafaxine - of the SNRI class (Effexor)
              Citalopram - of the SSRI class (Celexa, Cipramil, Talohexane)
              Paroxetine - of the SSRI class (Paxil, Seroxat, Aropax)
              Escitalopram - of the SSRI class (Lexapro, Cipralex)
              Fluvoxamine - of the SSRI class (Luvox, Faverin)
              Duloxetine - of the SNRI class (Cymbalta)
              Bupropion - of the DRI and NRI classes (Wellbutrin, Zyban)

The benzodiazepines are a class of drugs with sedative/hypnotic, anxiolytic, anticonvulsant, amnestic and muscle relaxant properties. Benzodiazepines are often used for short-term relief of severe, disabling anxiety or insomnia. Long-term use can be problematic due to the development of tolerance and dependency. They are believed to act on the GABA receptor GABAA, the activation of which dampens higher neuronal activity. They began to be widely prescribed for stress-related ailments in the 1960s and 1970s.

Benzodiazepines are commonly divided into three groups: Short-acting compounds act for less than six hours and have few residual effects if taken before bedtime, but rebound insomnia may occur and they might cause wake-time anxiety. Intermediate-acting compounds have an effect for 6-10 hours, may have mild residual effects but rebound insomnia is not common. Long-acting compounds have strong sedative effects that persist. Accumulation may occur.

The various benzodiazepines are listed in order of the shortest acting to the longest acting (by the approximate elimination half-life of the drug), however this time may greatly vary between persons.

Triazolam (Halcion®) - 2 hours
              Midazolam (Versed®, Hypnovel®) - 3 hours (1.8-6 hours)
              Oxazepam (Serax®) - 4-15 hours
              Chlordiazepoxide (Librium®) - 5-25 hours
              Alprazolam (Xanax®) - 6-12 hours
              Temazepam (Restoril®) 8-20 hours
              Lorazepam (Ativan®) 10-20 hours
              Loprazolam (Dormonoct®) 10-20 hours
              Bromazepam (Lexotan®) 10-20 hours
              Estazolam (ProSom®) 10-24 hours
              Clobazam (Frisium®) 18 hours
              Flunitrazepam (Rohypnol®) 18-26 hours. Withdrawn from the market in some countries; considered a "date-rape drug"
              Clonazepam (Klonopin®, Rivotril®) 18-50 hours
              Nitrazepam (Mogadon®) 20-40 hours
              Quazepam (Doral®) 25-100 hours
              Clorazepate (Tranxene®) 36-100 hours
              Medazepam (Nobrium®) 36-150 hours
              Nordazepam (Madar®, Stilny®) 50-120 hours
              Prazepam (Centrax®) 36-200 hours
              Diazepam (Valium®) 36-200 hours
              Flurazepam (Dalmane®) 40-250 hours

Comment

thanks for that list bro......

Comment

Originally posted by joe bigboy
                  yea paxil does bigtime with me, my doc tried me on that a few years ago and damn i got all puffy from it

some also complain of sexual sides with paxil too.

Comment

Working...
                  X