Easy Newb Filtering Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy Newb Filtering Question

Sorry for the lame question. When using a disc filter, do you pull the solution with a larger gauge needle/syringe and push it through the filter into a sterile vial? I tried a search but only got a lot of home brew q's. How many filters should I get with 10 ml? Thanx....

I'm not sure I'm understanding your question. Are you saying that you're using a whatman filter? What exactly do you want to know?

When filtering something I will typically withdraw it from bottle A with an 18 gauge needle and then I will unscrew that 18 gauge needle and then attach the plunger part to my micron filter which should already be attached to a different 18 gauge needle in bottle B.

Comment

Yes with the whatman filter. You pull the solution with an 18 gauge needle, unscrew the 18 and screw the whatman filter on. The you push the plunger and the solution goes through filter into the sterile vial. Maybe Im thinking way too hard on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBird
        Yes with the whatman filter. You pull the solution with an 18 gauge needle, unscrew the 18 and screw the whatman filter on. The you push the plunger and the solution goes through filter into the sterile vial. Maybe Im thinking way too hard on this one.
        Yes, that is what you do. You'll only need one filter.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBird
          Sorry for the lame question. When using a disc filter, do you pull the solution with a larger gauge needle/syringe and push it through the filter into a sterile vial? I tried a search but only got a lot of home brew q's. How many filters should I get with 10 ml? Thanx....

One Whatman filter will do approx 100ml

Comment

Working...
          X