X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would-be Marine died 'after taking steroids'

Here we go.. They claim it was an "overdose of steroids"... :hmm:

Would-be Marine Matthew Dear died 'after taking steroids' - Times Online

Post-mortem tests will today be carried out on a 17-year-old body builder who is thought to have died after taking steroids to bulk himself up for selection into the Royal Marines.

Matthew Dear of Southend, Essex, had been an Army cadet since the age of 12 and was planning to take the gruelling selection test for the Marines when he turned 18, in three months' time.

He was admitted to Southend University Hospital eight days ago after becoming seriously ill and died yesterday morning.

"He lived for joining the Armed Forces but fell to pieces before our eyes," his father, Chris Dear, 43, told the Daily Mirror.

Mr Dear said that his son first fell ill two weeks ago after a barbecue and the family assumed that he was suffering from food poisoning. A week ago, however, he took a turn for the worse.

"He said he didn't know where he was. His pupils were the size of saucers and he seemed really ill," he added. "When paramedics arrived, Matt told them he'd taken steroids. This was the first we knew."

He was discharged the following morning but was rushed back to hospital that night after losing his sight and was moved into intensive care. The teenager, who had three brothers and a sister, finally died yesterday morning. "They said his brain died and his kidneys packed in," his father told the Mirror.

Police said that tests were being carried out to establish what tablets the teenager had taken, and that a pathologist would examine the youngster’s body.

Detective Inspector Jim Sandford, who is leading the inquiry, added: “We are investigating the cause of death and waiting for the results of various tests including tests being carried out on the type of tablets that were taken.”

Three people - a 17-year-old boy and a 21-year-old man, from Westcliff, Essex, and a 24-year-old man from Leigh, Essex - have been arrested on suspicion of supplying a controlled substance, police said. They have all been released on police bail without charge until June 23.

Several people paid tributes to the teenager in messages posted on a local newspaper website. One family friend wrote to say that Matthew wanted to be a Royal Marine. She said: “We saw him grow from a bonny baby boy to a lovely caring young man... he wanted to become a marine... He had a dream, to one day become a soldier.”

Anabolic steroids are usually synthesised from the male reproduction hormone testosterone. They reduce fatigue and recovery time and promote the development of muscle tissue by stimulating protein.

But the drugs are banned by many sporting bodies because they create a health risk and can give athletes a competitive advantage.

sounds like stimulants to me

Comment

Of course, that's probably why heath ledger died too. Damn roids.

Comment

this will become a witch hunt -- hope the autopsy sheds real light on what he died from

Comment

steroids are the scapegoat all the damn time.... I'm not surprised it happened again in this case.... I agree I hope the autopsy sheds light on the real cause of his death!

Comment

marines...

Comment

Originally posted by bigbadexcursion View Post
              marines...

I've come to the conclusion that if it's not about you or Bush...it sucks. :wacko:

Comment

Originally posted by blm View Post
                I've come to the conclusion that if it's not about you or Bush...it sucks. :wacko:
                i have come to the conclusion that he sucks..

Comment

stupid people...

Comment

mods that only can laugh at their own jokes, and only think their politics are right crack me up...

simple minds

Comment

Originally posted by bigbadexcursion View Post

simple minds
                      point and shoot :wacko:

:D

Comment

lol

Comment

Working...
                        X