Question on water retention/bloat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on water retention/bloat

So a good friend of mine fights in two weeks at 150lbs weight class and in this pic he's at 162lbs at 5'8". As you can see, pretty lean, natural, just got his blood work back and he's good to go. So he tells me that 12lbs will be an easy drop and I don't agree due to his low BF%. But yes it's possible to drop those pounds.

Not to mention he has some of the best coaches in the MMA industry training him. He trains 6hrs everyday. So I'm sure our coaches know what they're doing/talking about.

Question is this. With someone like him at that stage. How much water can someone really drop and stay healthy for a fight(Rhetorical) question of course.

I can see 5lbs and still having enough potassium and nutrients to last 15mns, unless he gets a tap or a KO.

But the main point here is this...On average, how much water can someone really drop and be healthy and functional.

Remember that the more water we drop, the harder our enzymes in our liver work which is not good, not to mention our RBC is elevated and well I could go on and on....
    Last edited by rado; 01-26-13, 03:10 PM.

i dont know cause i am looking at it from a bodybuilding perspective and someone that skinny would never want to loose more weight.

i do know for sure though that my strength would go down a great deal if i were to drop that much weight already being lean. doesnt seem optimal to me. why would you want to fight at anything less then your best.

Comment

It's what fighters do. They walk around ED 20lbs heavier than normal. Besides, you have an entire day to recover loss of water weight and nutrients....So I guess it's not so bad.

Comment

how dose he go about loosing the weight? put on one of those sweat suits and run or what?

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
          how dose he go about loosing the weight? put on one of those sweat suits and run or what?
          Sauna, sweat suits, running, drilling, etc...All for a $5K payday which isn't bad I guess if he wins...If he gets a loss, he gets $2K and by the time you pay your cuts of taxes, your coaches etc....You might walk away with $500...but not bad for 15mns of hard work

Comment

i dont know cause i am looking at it from a bodybuilding perspective and someone that skinny would never want to loose more weight.

i do know for sure though that my strength would go down a great deal if i were to drop that much weight already being lean. doesnt seem optimal to me. why would you want to fight at anything less then your best.
            I'm with the green monster. fuck cutting weight and being weak. dont even look at the scale. just look in the mirror but thats bb not bjj

Comment

Originally posted by Ronin View Post
              So a good friend of mine fights in two weeks at 150lbs weight class and in this pic he's at 162lbs at 5'8". As you can see, pretty lean, natural, just got his blood work back and he's good to go. So he tells me that 12lbs will be an easy drop and I don't agree due to his low BF%. But yes it's possible to drop those pounds.

Not to mention he has some of the best coaches in the MMA industry training him. He trains 6hrs everyday. So I'm sure our coaches know what they're doing/talking about.

Question is this. With someone like him at that stage. How much water can someone really drop and stay healthy for a fight(Rhetorical) question of course.

I can see 5lbs and still having enough potassium and nutrients to last 15mns, unless he gets a tap or a KO.

But the main point here is this...On average, how much water can someone really drop and be healthy and functional.

Remember that the more water we drop, the harder our enzymes in our liver work which is not good, not to mention our RBC is elevated and well I could go on and on....
              12lbs of water is not hard if he is used to it. Like a high school wrestler ect. The main thing is getting a IV right after the scale. he will be back 100% with proper foods pedialyte ect.
              I have seen it a shit load of times buddys get on scale half dead from sauna weigh inn get to hotel IV and drink room temp pedilyte then eat next day 20lbs heavyer and ready to rock.

If he has these great coaches like you say then he will already know this.

Comment

plastic suit or what ever I have seen garbage bags,lol sit in sauna some have to do light jogging but it is hell I have seen people turn into monsters. I have seen people make up the crazyest stuff to get outta the sauna. so crazy one guy said he needs to go home his mom is sick,lol

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKETW19 View Post
                  he needs to go home his mom is sick,lol
                  :rofl:

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKETW19 View Post
                    12lbs of water is not hard if he is used to it. Like a high school wrestler ect. The main thing is getting a IV right after the scale. he will be back 100% with proper foods pedialyte ect.
                    I have seen it a shit load of times buddys get on scale half dead from sauna weigh inn get to hotel IV and drink room temp pedilyte then eat next day 20lbs heavyer and ready to rock.

If he has these great coaches like you say then he will already know this.
                    Just about every fighter these days use an IV after their weigh in. No matter how you look at it, 12lbs is 12lbs especially him being lean as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by GrowthMan View Post
                      I'm with the green monster. fuck cutting weight and being weak. dont even look at the scale. just look in the mirror but thats bb not bjj
                      BJJ was never mentioned. Whether you're a LW or HW fighting, it's still being within your weight class. No different than going on stage for BB'ing purposes; don't you shred up? Exactly. If ANYTHING; BB'rs do it more dangerously than fighters do.

Look at how many BB'rs have passed out or died from diuretics and other crap.

Comment

Working...
                      X