Four Raiders face suspension over THG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Raiders face suspension over THG

ATLANTA (SI.com) -- Four Oakland Raiders have tested positive for the designer steroid tetrahydrogestrinone (THG), sources told SI.com on Sunday.

The NFL Today first reported that Raiders defensive tackle Dana Stubblefield, center Barrett Robbins, linebacker Bill Romanowski and defensive tackle Chris Cooper were informed via letter of their positive THG tests. Pending an appeal, each faces a four-game suspension by the NFL.

On Thursday, Oakland running back Tyrone Wheatley hit a photographer outside a federal courthouse, hours before testifying before a grand jury probing a nutritional supplements lab.

Wheatley was one of five NFL players -- including four Raiders -- to appear Thursday before the panel. Others included Stubblefield, a former defensive player of the year, and Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Johnnie Morton.

Also appearing before the grand jury Thursday was Marion Jones, who won an unprecedented five track medals in the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

The discovery of THG, which had heretofore escaped detection by standard screening tests, is at the center of perhaps the biggest doping scandal ever in sports. However, Sportsline.com noted the suspensions of the four Raiders are not immediate and would not take effect until after an appeal process that could include testing of another sample, as well as a hearing. The players' union will fight the suspensions, the Web site said.

THG has been sold in the guise of a dietary supplement when it is in fact a drug that lacks federal permission for sale in this country, the Food and Drug Administration said. It is a drug derived from another steroid long banned in athletics, the agency said.

The FDA's official designation of THG as illegal, which had been anticipated since the scandal over the previously undetectable steroid emerged, puts manufacturers on notice that the government will crack down on anyone caught selling it.

It also is the strongest warning yet that using THG is risky. Anabolic steroids can have dangerous side effects, including liver damage, heart disease, anxiety and rage. While little is known about THG's specific effects because it is new, its close chemical similarity to other well-known steroids means it poses the same risks, FDA Associate Commissioner John Taylor said.

Romanowski juices...I would have never guessed...lol.

Comment

geez, just what we need more good press.... juicing is just becoming too mainstream. Not good.

stay safe.

DrG
      Last edited by drgoodbody; 11-17-03, 11:58 AM.

Comment

no shit. luckily the public is too stupid to ever remember something for more than a few months at a time. still the fucking professional athletes are ruining it for us little guys. they will always be able to get shit with their money.

Comment

it never ceases to amaze me the amount of attention steroid use gets in the media, but no one care about people selling crack in school yards

Comment

Originally posted by needsize
            it never ceases to amaze me the amount of attention steroid use gets in the media, but no one care about people selling crack in school yards
            no shit! its pathetic!

Comment

It especially scares me in America the fact we get punished as hard/ if not harder for having them (over crack) .. fucking ignorance

Comment

at least in canada possession of personal amounts is legal

Comment

Anti-American asshole. :)

Comment

Originally posted by John ROAR
                    It especially scares me in America the fact we get punished as hard/ if not harder for having them (over crack) .. fucking ignorance
                    it's all about jealousy bro, remember those little geeks you picked on when you were the stud jock and they could never get a date!!! well now they have a little bit of power so they will take it out on all the athletic people because some football player stuffed him in a girls locker with nothing but underwear on!!! I mean come on how many huge bros do you see driviing around in very expensive sport cars? Most are little geeks with little dicks who need a metal box on wheel to get a girl. We don't and that pisses them off!!!! :rofl:

Comment

really? are you serious? I haven't been to Canada in years...so are you Mounties all on juice too????? who juices more French Canadians or English Canadians?

Comment

Originally posted by 6p6
                        it's all about jealousy bro, remember those little geeks you picked on when you were the stud jock and they could never get a date!!! well now they have a little bit of power so they will take it out on all the athletic people because some football player stuffed him in a girls locker with nothing but underwear on!!! I mean come on how many huge bros do you see driviing around in very expensive sport cars? Most are little geeks with little dicks who need a metal box on wheel to get a girl. We don't and that pisses them off!!!! :rofl:
                        I c your view and all, but I seriously doubt that those "geeks" are the accusers or are jealous, I personally was picked on but I didn't pay much mind to it. I hated stud jocks when I was younger, I don't like Bill Romanowski because he IS an pompous jerk off. But I believe steroid use shouldn't be stereotyped to studjocks or big dumbasses, or football players. I hate when people stereotype people like us. Alot of users I know are well respected graduates with BS, masters or even PHds. I agree it is getting too mainstream and steroid users should keep it personal. Of course it sucks that people get trashed on equally as do crack users or whatever drug there is out there. I can see where people can see the problems of steroid use and I believe they should be used to an extent. Like my cycles are for my personal benefit for me but I believe in limits and boundaries. thats my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Trojanmn2
                          I c your view and all, but I seriously doubt that those "geeks" are the accusers or are jealous, I personally was picked on but I didn't pay much mind to it. I hated stud jocks when I was younger, I don't like Bill Romanowski because he IS an pompous jerk off. But I believe steroid use shouldn't be stereotyped to studjocks or big dumbasses, or football players. I hate when people stereotype people like us. Alot of users I know are well respected graduates with BS, masters or even PHds. I agree it is getting too mainstream and steroid users should keep it personal. Of course it sucks that people get trashed on equally as do crack users or whatever drug there is out there. I can see where people can see the problems of steroid use and I believe they should be used to an extent. Like my cycles are for my personal benefit for me but I believe in limits and boundaries. thats my 2 cents.
                          what I said wasn't meant to be a catch all it was just a part of our society that I am positive is true but there are many other ends such as you mentioned....

....by the way Romo is awesome and he is what makes football exciting. There are very few players like him left. Such as Terrell Owens, I hate him, but that's good. You need players you love to hate, boxing is the same way...without a villain it is boring....how the hell did I get on that subject!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X