Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UFC Fighter Ricardo Demente Abreu Banned For Deca

UFC Fighter Ricardo Demente Abreu Banned For Deca

UFC Middleweight Ricardo "Demente" Abreu Suspended for Two Years After Nandrolone Positive

UFC middleweight Ricardo “Demente” Abreu has been suspended for two-year after testing positive for two metabolites of the anabolic steroid known as nandrolone. The United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) confirmed the presence of the nandrolone metabolites – 19-norandrosterone (19-NA) and noretiocholanolone – in an out-of-competition urine sample collected on June 3, 2016.

Nandrolone and its metabolites are prohibited in accordance with the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) List of Prohibited Substances. Nandrolone is the parent compound in popular steroids such as Nandrolone Decanoate (aka Deca Durabolin) and Nandrolone Phenylpropionate. Since the UFC Anti-Doping Policy has adopted the WADA list in its entirety, Abreu is automatically subject to a two-year period of ineligibility for a first-time violation.

Abreu has a black belt in Brazilian jiu jitsu (BJJ) and has won several events in the sport while representing Brazil. His most notable accomplishment in BJJ was winning a gold medal in the +92 kilogram weight class (black belt) at the 2010 World Professional Jiu Jitsu Championship in Abu Dhabi on May 2, 2010.

Abreu switched to MMA competition in 2011. He made the transition from BJJ to MMA while training with UFC light heavyweight Tito Ortiz. Abreu had a string of victories in Brazilian Fighting Championship (BRFC) and Extreme Fighters World Championships (EFWC) events before being signed by the UFC in 2014.

Abreu appeared in “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 3” edition of the UFC reality television show in 2014 in his first assignment with UFC. Abreu was on Wanderlei Silva's team and lost in the semifinal match to Marcio Alexandre Jr.

Abreau also competed in UFC Fight Night on two occasions. He defeated Wagner Gomes via submission (rear naked choke) at UFC Fight Night: Miocic vs. Maldonando on May 31, 2014 but lost to Jake Collier with a split decision at UFC Fight Night: Boetsch vs. Henderson on June 6, 2015. Abreu was forced to pull out of a bout against Daniel Kelly at UFC 193 in November 2015 due to injury.

Abreu's suspension began on the date that he was first notified and provisionally suspended as a result of the failed drug test on July 1, 2016. Abreau won't be able to return to mixed martial arts competition until July 1, 2018.

Abreu is the fourth UFC athlete to receive a two-year suspension since USADA became the independent administrator in charge of drug testing and results management for UFC. The other UFC athletes include Mirko Cro Cop, Gleison Tibau and Chad Mendes.

Lol...what a surprise

Comment

I can see why the BJJ is tough on joints esp the knee ....

Comment

Originally posted by jack tors View Post
        I can see why the BJJ is tough on joints esp the knee ....
        Not just knees bro, but basically any bone lol...I have halix limitus in my toes, CTS on wrists, slight arthritis in fingers, yea...bjj is known for this

Comment

I can tell you that his world titles in bjj will probably be questioned now.

I don't disagree but I will say some sort of rule refinement is needed asap

Comment

Working...
          X