Jacksonville-Based Domestic Source is the Latest UGL Busted by the Feds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacksonville-Based Domestic Source is the Latest UGL Busted by the Feds

Jacksonville, Florida became ground zero for the latest law enforcement bust of a domestic underground laboratory (UGL) involved with anabolic steroids and human growth hormone. Five individuals were arrested on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 in connection with the illicit steroid enterprise according to United States Attorney A. Lee Bentley, III of the Middle District of Florida, Jacksonville Division.

Gregory Baker, William Wagner, Heather Wagner, Ashley Hinson and Elijah Adams were indicted by a federal grand jury on charges of conspiracy to import anabolic steroids, conspiracy to manufacture, distribute, and possess with intent to distribute anabolic steroids, conspiracy to distribute and possess with intent to distribute human growth hormone, conspiracy to commit money laundering and international transportation of monetary instruments.

The Department of Justice unsealed the indictment on September 28, 2016. The indictment revealed many details about the participants in the steroid and hGH distribution ring and the specific and overt criminal acts they are accused of. The indictment didn't reveal the names of the UGL brands involved and/or the internet identity of the source.

The five co-conspirators allegedly purchased and imported raw anabolic steroid powder in order to manufacture and distribute the drugs to bodybuilders around the country. The finished products included injectable steroid products such as testosterone, drostanolone propionate (Masteron), trenbolone, Sustanon, nandrolone decanoate (Deca Durabolin) and boldenone undecylenate (Equipoise). It also included finished oral products such as oxandrolone (Anavar) and fluoxymesterone (Halotestin).

The Jacksonville-based source allegedly operated from December 2013 until the moment of their arrest just a few days ago. Baker was the apparent ringleader of the operation. Baker was in charge of ordering the raw steroid powders and hGH from China during this period. Heather Wagner was in charge of most of the Western Union payments although Adams helped out on occasion. Wagner sent the WU payments to the Chinese suppliers from multiple WU agent locations in Publix supermarkets in the Jacksonville area. And William Wagner and Hinson were responsible for picking up the packages delivered by mail from China.

It apparently wasn't too difficult to connect the dots even though the operation had specialized and separate roles for ordering, payment and receiving. Then again, the federal investigation invested a huge amount of resources in the case. The investigation involved all of the expected participants in the U.S. war on drugs including the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Homeland Security Investigations (ICE-HSI), the United States Postal Inspection Service (USPIS), U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

The federal agencies cooperated with local law enforcement including the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office (JSO), the Jacksonville Beach Police Department (JBPD) and the Green Cove Springs Police Department (GCSPD). Interestingly, the feds also sought the cooperation of the quasi-government, morality-in-sports watchdog – the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA). Perhaps USADA was involved in an attempt to identify any potential big-name athletes who were clients of this UGL.

If convicted, the co-defendants are facing up to 10 years in federal prison on steroid conspiracy and distribution charges as well as up to 20 years in prison on money laundering charges. The feds are also seeking forfeiture of all assets that they can link to the proceeds of their steroid business.

Federal prosecutors have already identified several luxury vehicles, jewelry and bank accounts that they cant' wait to get their hands on. This wish list includes a 2008 Cadillac Escalade Luxury,
    a 2015 Land Rover Range Rover Sport SC, a 2011 Yamaha Drive Electric Golf Cart, 2013 a Kia Soul Sport and a 2007 Yamaha YZF-R1 Motorcycle.

Several items of jewelry were also specified including a 14kt white gold 1.6 ct diamond earring pair, a ladies 18k diamond ring and four custom diamond men's and women's Breitling watches. The Breitling models included the “Oceane”, the “Super Avenger” and the “Bentley”.

And most importantly, the feds want the cold, hard cash withdrawn in the amounts of $50,000 and $75,000 from the Navy Federal Credit Union.

The internet identity of the Jacksonville-based source will be sure to turn up on the bodybuilding and steroid forums over the next few days.

Arrested and property stolen by our government. Got to love the land of the free.

Asset forfeiture is a practice that needs to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
      Jacksonville, Florida became ground zero for the latest law enforcement bust of a domestic underground laboratory (UGL) involved with anabolic steroids and human growth hormone. Five individuals were arrested on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 in connection with the illicit steroid enterprise according to United States Attorney A. Lee Bentley, III of the Middle District of Florida, Jacksonville Division.

Gregory Baker, William Wagner, Heather Wagner, Ashley Hinson and Elijah Adams were indicted by a federal grand jury on charges of conspiracy to import anabolic steroids, conspiracy to manufacture, distribute, and possess with intent to distribute anabolic steroids, conspiracy to distribute and possess with intent to distribute human growth hormone, conspiracy to commit money laundering and international transportation of monetary instruments.

The Department of Justice unsealed the indictment on September 28, 2016. The indictment revealed many details about the participants in the steroid and hGH distribution ring and the specific and overt criminal acts they are accused of. The indictment didn't reveal the names of the UGL brands involved and/or the internet identity of the source.

The five co-conspirators allegedly purchased and imported raw anabolic steroid powder in order to manufacture and distribute the drugs to bodybuilders around the country. The finished products included injectable steroid products such as testosterone, drostanolone propionate (Masteron), trenbolone, Sustanon, nandrolone decanoate (Deca Durabolin) and boldenone undecylenate (Equipoise). It also included finished oral products such as oxandrolone (Anavar) and fluoxymesterone (Halotestin).

The Jacksonville-based source allegedly operated from December 2013 until the moment of their arrest just a few days ago. Baker was the apparent ringleader of the operation. Baker was in charge of ordering the raw steroid powders and hGH from China during this period. Heather Wagner was in charge of most of the Western Union payments although Adams helped out on occasion. Wagner sent the WU payments to the Chinese suppliers from multiple WU agent locations in Publix supermarkets in the Jacksonville area. And William Wagner and Hinson were responsible for picking up the packages delivered by mail from China.

It apparently wasn't too difficult to connect the dots even though the operation had specialized and separate roles for ordering, payment and receiving. Then again, the federal investigation invested a huge amount of resources in the case. The investigation involved all of the expected participants in the U.S. war on drugs including the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Homeland Security Investigations (ICE-HSI), the United States Postal Inspection Service (USPIS), U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

The federal agencies cooperated with local law enforcement including the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office (JSO), the Jacksonville Beach Police Department (JBPD) and the Green Cove Springs Police Department (GCSPD). Interestingly, the feds also sought the cooperation of the quasi-government, morality-in-sports watchdog – the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA). Perhaps USADA was involved in an attempt to identify any potential big-name athletes who were clients of this UGL.

If convicted, the co-defendants are facing up to 10 years in federal prison on steroid conspiracy and distribution charges as well as up to 20 years in prison on money laundering charges. The feds are also seeking forfeiture of all assets that they can link to the proceeds of their steroid business.

Federal prosecutors have already identified several luxury vehicles, jewelry and bank accounts that they cant' wait to get their hands on. This wish list includes a 2008 Cadillac Escalade Luxury,
      a 2015 Land Rover Range Rover Sport SC, a 2011 Yamaha Drive Electric Golf Cart, 2013 a Kia Soul Sport and a 2007 Yamaha YZF-R1 Motorcycle.

Several items of jewelry were also specified including a 14kt white gold 1.6 ct diamond earring pair, a ladies 18k diamond ring and four custom diamond men's and women's Breitling watches. The Breitling models included the “Oceane”, the “Super Avenger” and the “Bentley”.

And most importantly, the feds want the cold, hard cash withdrawn in the amounts of $50,000 and $75,000 from the Navy Federal Credit Union.

The internet identity of the Jacksonville-based source will be sure to turn up on the bodybuilding and steroid forums over the next few days.
      https://www.justice.gov/usao-mdfl/file/898751/download

https://www.justice.gov/usao-mdfl/file/898756/download

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo3000 View Post
        Arrested and property stolen by our government. Got to love the land of the free.

Asset forfeiture is a practice that needs to stop.
        and why's that? IMO if you have property, money, assets, etc through dirty money, it should be taken from you and disposed of or auctioned off as they would normally do.

Comment

Originally posted by rado View Post
          and why's that? IMO if you have property, money, assets, etc through dirty money, it should be taken from you and disposed of or auctioned off as they would normally do.
          It is state sponsored thievery.

Dirty money? Who are we to judge? You use anabolic steroids and weed, surely you can't believe in the war on drugs.

They steal money, jewelry, cars, houses, and boats. They steal the goods before people are even convicted. Seems to go against the whole innocent until proven guilty. They either use that stuff for "official business" or auction it off to buy more toys to supresses the populace.

They also don't even investigate to see if the property was obtained with "dirty" money. The steal it and go about their business.

Comment

It is state sponsored thievery.

Dirty money? Who are we to judge? You use anabolic steroids and weed, surely you can't believe in the war on drugs.

They steal money, jewelry, cars, houses, and boats. They steal the goods before people are even convicted. Seems to go against the whole innocent until proven guilty. They either use that stuff for "official business" or auction it off to buy more toys to supresses the populace.

They also don't even investigate to see if the property was obtained with "dirty" money. The steal it and go about their business.
            Not necessarily true/\...they do investigate where the money is coming from and where it goes; im sure certain times it's NOT always like this. i do smoke and use peds, but doesn't mean im judging either. my statement is just an opinion and what i feel is/should be done.

i know you have a strong opposition to our government, policies, regulations, etc...but to cast out and flatly say your statement is completely true and that the govt is ALWAYS wrong or thieving from people, well that is also casting judgement.

not arguing with you either. 2 people will never have similar views on these types of occurrences.

i think you'd be better off in CANADA though.

Comment

Rado, the problem is that right now, asset forfeiture can happen without due process. The possession happens first and the burden is on the defendant (if innocent) to retrieve their assets from the government, often at high cost. There have been numerous instances of perfectly innocent people having their property (or money) seized and it costs them thousands in lawyer fees to retrieve it.

Asset forfeiture after a conviction (assuming it was obtained illegally) is fine, but the way it is now is a major problem.

Comment

Another major problem is that in many jurisdictions, the money goes directly to the police department and to law enforcement to do whatever they want with it, get more equipment, etc. The money does not go into the city/county/state coffers. That's a MAJOR problem because there is no accountability, and moreover, it is a major conflict of interest. Often, police departments are tempted to push the envelope in terms of quasi-legal traffic stops, warrantless searches, etc. etc. because they are tempted by the jackpot they can strike. It is a system that is ripe for abuse.

Comment

Not necessarily true/\...they do investigate where the money is coming from and where it goes; im sure certain times it's NOT always like this. i do smoke and use peds, but doesn't mean im judging either. my statement is just an opinion and what i feel is/should be done.

i know you have a strong opposition to our government, policies, regulations, etc...but to cast out and flatly say your statement is completely true and that the govt is ALWAYS wrong or thieving from people, well that is also casting judgement.

not arguing with you either. 2 people will never have similar views on these types of occurrences.

i think you'd be better off in CANADA though.
                  Looks like Scrum agrees with me. So in fact, two people can have similar views on this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
                    Rado, the problem is that right now, asset forfeiture can happen without due process. The possession happens first and the burden is on the defendant (if innocent) to retrieve their assets from the government, often at high cost. There have been numerous instances of perfectly innocent people having their property (or money) seized and it costs them thousands in lawyer fees to retrieve it.

Asset forfeiture after a conviction (assuming it was obtained illegally) is fine, but the way it is now is a major problem.
                    agreed here, but that's it...do you know of someone who's actually been through this process? I mean a close friend of some sort. I do and can tell you your post is wrong, NOT saying it doesn't happen at times, but to say that due process isn't given is wrong; it is given.

Another major problem is that in many jurisdictions, the money goes directly to the police department and to law enforcement to do whatever they want with it, get more equipment, etc. The money does not go into the city/county/state coffers. That's a MAJOR problem because there is no accountability, and moreover, it is a major conflict of interest. Often, police departments are tempted to push the envelope in terms of quasi-legal traffic stops, warrantless searches, etc. etc. because they are tempted by the jackpot they can strike. It is a system that is ripe for abuse.
                    agreed...but again, it's NOT always like this.
                    Looks like Scrum agrees with me. So in fact, two people can have similar views on this topic.
                    and because he agrees with you that means that I'm wrong? come on dude, seriously.

i can speak from second hand experience on this matter; i've seen it go down and the people i knew, went down hard for a bit but came out great in the end. due process was given, money was taken, property, etc...BUT it was done as I had posted...YOU TWO can keep at it, that's fine. but when I speak from a personal experience and seeing it in action, well nothing either of you two can tell me that will make me think otherwise...

Comment

Civil Asset Forfeiture: 7 Things You Should Know

A good summary of the main problems.

Comment

Rado, go look on youtube. There are many news reports of people driving down the road with thousands of dollars in their car, to make a purchase, after emptying their till in their business, whatever. They get into a police stop for whatever reason, one things leads to another and the police search their car, often violating their 4th amendment. The victims may be minorities, or poor, often not knowledgeable about their constitutional rights, or too intimidated to stand up for them. The police finds the money, automatically assumes it is drug money and confiscates it.

The poor guy now has to figure out how to prove that the money is legit and recover it. It will cost him thousands to hire a lawyer, go to court, etc. OFTEN, THE COST OF THE RECOVERY PROCESS EXCEEDS THE VALUE OF THE MONEY AT STAKE! What then happens? The guy just takes the loss and walks away. See? There is no downside for the police to abuse the system, violate people's rights, etc! They know that is most cases, the process to recover money is so painful that more often than not, they get to keep the money.

Rado, nobody is arguing that illegally obtained assets should not be confiscated. But the way asset forfeiture is structured right now is a major violation of due process, and is really perfect for abuse by (often cash-strapped) police departments.

Comment

agreed here, but that's it...do you know of someone who's actually been through this process? I mean a close friend of some sort. I do and can tell you your post is wrong, NOT saying it doesn't happen at times, but to say that due process isn't given is wrong; it is given.

agreed...but again, it's NOT always like this.
                          and because he agrees with you that means that I'm wrong? come on dude, seriously.

i can speak from second hand experience on this matter; i've seen it go down and the people i knew, went down hard for a bit but came out great in the end. due process was given, money was taken, property, etc...BUT it was done as I had posted...YOU TWO can keep at it, that's fine. but when I speak from a personal experience and seeing it in action, well nothing either of you two can tell me that will make me think otherwise...
                          Who said you were wrong?

Due process for property is usually not given. You might have witnessed a completely different situation, but it isn't the norm. I don't believe a free society should fear losing property to government bullies.

Comment

Who said you were wrong?

Due process for property is usually not given. You might have witnessed a completely different situation, but it isn't the norm. I don't believe a free society should fear losing property to government bullies.
                            that depends on the individual(s) in question. It is given if the defendant takes proper course, i've seen it myself and will leave it at that.

I don't either and the system can/should be fixed

i have, a few times and due process was given, they really did't have a choice but to do so.

LEO's know who to walk all over and who not too. at the end of the day, IMO those who are playing the game, need to know their resources and have money set aside. THIS will help you with due process, i've seen it myself.

we can agree on one thing; the govt system is broken, period.

Comment

Rado, go look on youtube. There are many news reports of people driving down the road with thousands of dollars in their car, to make a purchase, after emptying their till in their business, whatever. They get into a police stop for whatever reason, one things leads to another and the police search their car, often violating their 4th amendment. The victims may be minorities, or poor, often not knowledgeable about their constitutional rights, or too intimidated to stand up for them. The police finds the money, automatically assumes it is drug money and confiscates it.

The poor guy now has to figure out how to prove that the money is legit and recover it. It will cost him thousands to hire a lawyer, go to court, etc. OFTEN, THE COST OF THE RECOVERY PROCESS EXCEEDS THE VALUE OF THE MONEY AT STAKE! What then happens? The guy just takes the loss and walks away. See? There is no downside for the police to abuse the system, violate people's rights, etc! They know that is most cases, the process to recover money is so painful that more often than not, they get to keep the money.

Rado, nobody is arguing that illegally obtained assets should not be confiscated. But the way asset forfeiture is structured right now is a major violation of due process, and is really perfect for abuse by (often cash-strapped) police departments.
                              :agreed::agreed:

Comment

Working...
                              X