watman filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• watman filters

What is the difference between a .25mm and .45mm Filter. Does it make a difference which one you use for oil based.

Hey murt, I think what you mean is .25 micron and .45 micron filters? Spidey told me that bacteria is usually around .5 microns in size and spores are a little smaller, so by using the smaller filter you should be able to catch everything. Howevr, I think with a smaller filter all the oil might not pass through because of the viscosity, but I really don't know for sure.

Comment

Oil goes through a 0.20 micron filter just fine.

Comment

I was told that a .25 filter is for water based and .44 is for oil based is this true. will it affect my product if I use a .25 on oil based products..

Comment

The .25 filter is suggested for use with water based products because of ease of filtering. The .25 will just take a little longer with an oil based solution.

Comment

It will take longer to filter with a 0.2 but it is necessary to insure sterilization. Also, don't buy the filters made of celullose acetate. They don't hold up well to the BB,BA,oil mixtures we use and are prone to rupture. Getpinz has the right ones.

Comment

Originally posted by spidey
              It will take longer to filter with a 0.2 but it is necessary to insure sterilization. Also, don't buy the filters made of celullose acetate. They don't hold up well to the BB,BA,oil mixtures we use and are prone to rupture. Getpinz has the right ones.
              Good, cus thats where I get mine from, How can you tell if it has celullose acetat. All it says when ordering is Watman filter. :confused: :confused:

Comment

the ba kills most of the bacteria i always use a .45 and never have had a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by WEIGHT78
                  the ba kills most of the bacteria i always use a .45 and never have had a problem.
                  You have just been lucky. While the 0.45micron filter is small enough to catch 99+% of bacteria, it is not small enough to catch spores. Some types of bacteria go into a dormant spore state when conditions are not right for growth. Staph bacteria does this. Once the spore is placed in a warm, wet environment with plenty of nutrients (like say your muscle bed), the spores activate and presto, you have a staph infection. Spores average about 0.3 microns in diameter and so will pass through a 0.45 micron filter.

This happened to my best friend. He baked his fina at 300 deg F for 2 hours and filtered through a 0.45 micron filter and thought he was safe. He ended up in the hospital on IV antibiotics and could have lost his leg. Thankfully, he didn't.

Spores are among the most hardy organisms on the planet. They can withstand high temperatures of hundreds of deg, low temps of negative hundreds of deg, and even harsh chemical disinfectants like straight bleach. Trust me when I say the small amount of BA in your gear won't do jack shit.

Furthermore, Staph bacteria are pretty much everywhere. They are very common. You are just lucky you haven't injected enough spores at a time yet to cause a problem. Your immune system can deal with some amounts. One of these days though, you will get an infection. Maybe your immune system will be a little supressed from some little viral infection like a cold or maybe even from the gear and it will happen.

BTW, I took my friend's obviously contaminated gear and filtered it through a 0.2 micron filter and used it myself without any sign of an infection.

Comment

Originally posted by Murtle
                    Good, cus thats where I get mine from, How can you tell if it has celullose acetat. All it says when ordering is Watman filter. :confused: :confused:
                    Getpinz only sells one type and it's not cellulose actate so if you're getting it from there, you are OK.

Comment

Working...
                    X