Mr England 2nd Place Dead From AAS and Coke Abuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr England 2nd Place Dead From AAS and Coke Abuse

Ben Harnett, 37, died from steroid misuse and cocaine abuse while training for bodybuilding competition

A dad who tragically died after taking steroids is a stark reminder to the bodybuilding community of the risks of using the drug, a coroner has warned.

Family-man Ben Harnett died aged just 37 in February this year and was found at his home in Guide Post, Northumberland .

An inquest heard Mr Harnett died from “self inflicted injuries whilst influenced by steroids”, Chronicle Live reported.

A post mortem report said there was "evidence of steroid misuse, commonly seen in association with bodybuilding".

It added that steroids are "known to be associated with mood disorders" and the "depressive effects can last for a year".

Mr Harnett was preparing for a bodybuilding competition at the time of his death and the inquest at North Shields heard that the fatal mix of cocaine and steroids led to his demise.

Coroner Eric Armstrong said: "He was proud of his body, but became 'over-proud' and in attempting to make the most of his body, began to use steroids."

The coroner concluded the case: "Ben Harnett, whilst influenced by steroid misuse and cocaine abuse, took his own life by self inflicted injuries.

"I sincerely hope that if nothing else, Ben's death reverberates around the bodybuilding world and people realise the risks they are taking.

"This is the loss of a life that shouldn't have happened."

Mr Harnett has been described as a ‘hardworking family man’ by his family. He leaves behind a five-month-old daughter, Gracie, and wife, Emma, 24, who he married less than a year ago.

Tributes have poured in from heartbroken family and friends.

Mum Tish said: “It's devastating, our lives will never be the same again. Losing a child as parents is not the way it should be.

“There will never be another Ben. I'll never be the same without him."

Dad, Ben Snr, who raised the alarm on February 2 after he went to visit his house and got no answer, added that the gym was Ben’s life.

Dad Ben said: “Some people like having a drink. For Ben, he enjoyed the gym."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...-dies-20100544

sad news...thats tough to read
    i never understood the coke and AAS combo in bb'lding? is there some purpose it serves besides getting high?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack View Post
      sad news...thats tough to read
      i never understood the coke and AAS combo in bb'lding? is there some purpose it serves besides getting high?
      yea same here bro, it does seem all too common. i never even seen coke in person that's how foreign that sort of life is to me. my only guess is that steroids especially at high doses and multiple drugs can cause crazy mood swings and coke puts you in a better mood. maybe they are using it for that reason without even realizing why.

Comment

Working...
      X